5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Body Color (or black) Front Skid Plate

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I'm considering changing front Skid plate to body color (white) or possibly black... I've looked for pics and haven't seen it (my search skills probably need refinement)

I can't decide if white would look off and if black would look too monotonous/bland...

I'll likely have it vinyl wrapped initially (to see if I like it) and possibly powdercoated or cerakoted later.

Also intend to cover RAM emblem in white vinyl.

What are your thoughts on white vs black Skid plate?

Sorry, no photos but we all know what a white Rebel looks like - and all Skid plates are silver/grey.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There’s a guy around my neighborhood that has his skid plate linexed , looks pretty good and apparently they have different colours to choose from now , I seen an older Chevy truck with a red spray in bed liner , definitely looks different .

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't help with body color but here's mine in black(plastidip) matches bumper well and while I was at it I replaced the RAM letters with blacked out letters.
112cb3e5274336437c5b85e4cfbe9c14.jpg

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a white Rebel, and I plan on bed lining mine black. I think white would look weird on an item that's meant to get hit by rocks. I already bed lined my letters black, but I prefer an all-black accent to my white truck. My previous truck was completely blacked out as well. I just prefer black accents over other colors.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't help with body color but here's mine in black(plastidip) matches bumper well and while I was at it I replaced the RAM letters with blacked out letters.

Plasti dip looks great for about 3-6 months, then it fades/tears/chips/peels/etc. Had that on my old truck, and I eventually just bed-lined everything. Especially parts that will get hit with rocks/gravel that plasti dip is going to come right off.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
There’s a guy around my neighborhood that has his skid plate linexed , looks pretty good and apparently they have different colours to choose from now , I seen an older Chevy truck with a red spray in bed liner , definitely looks different .
I hadn't thought of that - thanks

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Plasti dip looks great for about 3-6 months, then it fades/tears/chips/peels/etc. Had that on my old truck, and I eventually just bed-lined everything. Especially parts that will get hit with rocks/gravel that plasti dip is going to come right off.
I just got a quote from local vinyl installer... 350 :rolleyes:

Knowing it would be temporary - its a hard pass.

Maybe I do the plasti-dip thing to see how it looks before doing anything permanent.

DesertRebel

Reaction score

Thanks for the photo reference - looks good

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I plan on taking my front skid plate off and having it sprayed with rhino liner, or maybe diy with raptor liner. The silver skid plate doesn’t match anything else.

Big Red Rebel

Reaction score
I'm considering changing front Skid plate to body color (white) or possibly black... I've looked for pics and haven't seen it (my search skills probably need refinement)

I can't decide if white would look off and if black would look too monotonous/bland...

I'll likely have it vinyl wrapped initially (to see if I like it) and possibly powdercoated or cerakoted later.

Also intend to cover RAM emblem in white vinyl.

What are your thoughts on white vs black Skid plate?

Sorry, no photos but we all know what a white Rebel looks like - and all Skid plates are silver/grey.
Maybe it’s just me.... but I love that the skid plate is a different color. I like that it stands out and people see that it’s there. I am the flashy type though, hence the red truck lol
The black would make it blend in with the bumper, not a bad look at all, and a lot of the boys that have that on their trucks have really sharp looking trucks. As flashy as I am... I would choose the black skid plate over the white any day

Big Red Rebel

Reaction score

Love your grill lights
They look completely factory
Great job on the install
Can you send me a link on where you got the lights

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed, the plastidip won't hold for off road(rocks and gravel) It holds up well in my experience for everyday road use. I have it on other other cars and it lasted for 3+ years including going through car washes regularly. I did the skid plate as trial to see how I like the black compared to silver with the intention to coat it with bed liner material if it doesn't hold up.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me.... but I love that the skid plate is a different color. I like that it stands out and people see that it’s there. I am the flashy type though, hence the red truck lol
The black would make it blend in with the bumper, not a bad look at all, and a lot of the boys that have that on their trucks have really sharp looking trucks. As flashy as I am... I would choose the black skid plate over the white any day
Same reason I used Plasti Dip to begin with because I wasn't sure if I would like the all-black compared to the silver contrast and have option to go back to silver easily. As it turns out I like the all black

DesertRebel

Reaction score
While I'm the opposite (of flashy) - In this case I tend to agree that white is a no-go...

I have white with black lower... After studying several photos and staring at my front end, white would not flow... On the other hand, if I had all white, I might be more inclined to see how white skid plate looks.

While looking through a bunch of internet photos, I finally came across same color combo - with black skid plate... While tempting, I think it looks a little too void (for me).:
Heres the pic

Nice truck in that pic, but looks like I'm keeping it stock for now - which means I'm not gonna bother with making the RAM emblem white either.

Of course, I'll probably change my mind as soon as I hit "post" :giggle:

ryco25

Reaction score
IMG_2166.JPG

Not a white truck, but I plastidipped mine black as well as the front emblem. This was right after I did it, but I've had it on for almost 10 months now and have only done some minor touchups on it. I took it heavily offroading twice so it got pretty cut up where the skid plate did its job, but I just sprayed over it. Still looks great as long as you don't climb under my truck and look up...but from every other angle it has held up well.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I plasti-dipped the skid plate on the 2017 Rebel I used to own. It was on there for 2+ years, and looked the same color from when I applied it to the day I removed it to apply bed liner. The black never quite matched the bumper, and I really noticed it. But no one else ever mentioned it unless I mentioned it. The bed liner was a nearly perfect match to the bumper. My point for posting about this is that plasti-dip sometimes gets a bad rap. But it's actually pretty durable if applied to a properly prepared surface. I scuffed up the skid plate with a scotch pad before applying it. It was actually quite difficult to remove when the time came. I can't attest to how it will hold up off-road because people's definition of that are different. But it held up very well to normal year-round road use in a climate which gets snow in winter and 100 degree temps in the summer.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
Even though I (thought I) nixed the idea - I checked with a local Line-X applicator, it's only $100... I might have it spayed black afterall... But it's not as reversible as vinyl or plasti-dip

I hate indecision :mad:

ryco25

Reaction score
Even though I (thought I) nixed the idea - I checked with a local Line-X applicator, it's only $100... I might have it spayed black afterall... But it's not as reversible as vinyl or plasti-dip

I hate indecision :mad:

I've read in some other posts on here that removing the skid plate is hell...so unless that is $100 to do it on your truck, it may be much more cost/effort.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
I've read in some other posts on here that removing the skid plate is hell...so unless that is $100 to do it on your truck, it may be much more cost/effort.
Thanks for the warning... I'm literally at a "flip a coin" stage on making decision... if it's a pita to remove, that might enough to lean towards not doing it... still might flip a coin though.

Users who are viewing this thread