5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blurry back up camera

Tones1975

Reaction score
So my backup camera all of a sudden has poor resolution. I tried unhooking the battery for 10 minutes with no change.
Tried unplugging and reconnecting the camera wire at the tailgate connector with no change.
Tried unplugging the camera wire from the camera inside of the tailgate with no change.
I'm not sure what to look at next. I really don't wanna buy a new camera fir the tailgate if that isn't the issue.
Truck has 130,000 km. 20230428_122459.jpg

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looking at the picture of the camera, it appears to have bubbles in spots. Do the cameras have a plastic film over them from the manufacturer, like many parts do, to protect them, that should be removed? It could be possible. I myself have had a couple things, that I didn't realize had the film for a couple years. I never even thought of checking that, but noticed some cameras are really sharp, while others were not very clear at all. I just thought it was the difference in vehicles. My girlfriend's is one of those that isn't very clear. after this post, I'm going to check hers.

Tones1975

Reaction score
Looking at the picture of the camera, it appears to have bubbles in spots. Do the cameras have a plastic film over them from the manufacturer, like many parts do, to protect them, that should be removed? It could be possible. I myself have had a couple things, that I didn't realize had the film for a couple years. I never even thought of checking that, but noticed some cameras are really sharp, while others were not very clear at all. I just thought it was the difference in vehicles. My girlfriend's is one of those that isn't very clear. after this post, I'm going to check hers.
Good call, I'll look at the lens closer and see if there is a film. I've had this truck since new and have wiped the lense off a hundred times at least and that has always cleared up the pic and now I notice that it's cloudy or something. There's definitely a drastic change in picture quality and it's only an issue with the back up camera. Screen picture is very sharp and clear otherwise.

6of36

Reaction score
Good call, I'll look at the lens closer and see if there is a film. I've had this truck since new and have wiped the lense off a hundred times at least and that has always cleared up the pic and now I notice that it's cloudy or something. There's definitely a drastic change in picture quality and it's only an issue with the back up camera. Screen picture is very sharp and clear otherwise.
Let us know. If there is a plastic film, everybody should check, to make sure it is removed. I know other people have mentioned camera quality, but mine was better than TV quality. Even night camera looked like daytime. I never even thought about it, until I saw the picture of your camera, and it looked like bubbles.

Tones1975

Reaction score
Let us know. If there is a plastic film, everybody should check, to make sure it is removed. I know other people have mentioned camera quality, but mine was better than TV quality. Even night camera looked like daytime. I never even thought about it, until I saw the picture of your camera, and it looked like bubbles.
Yeah my camera quality looked like 4k previously. I'll post my results after looking for film.

Tones1975

Reaction score
So I just tried to peel any protective film off of the lense; doesn't seem to be any on it.
Next I tried to polish the lense with headlight lense compound and polish with no change.
I'm going to next try to take a heat gun and attempt to dry out any possible moisture in the lense. I'm attaching a pic of the screen. It seems to be "noisy" around the edges in the cloudiest portions. 20230429_153109.jpg

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was going to say moisture on the inside some how. My 2 cents

fxdrider

Reaction score
The heat gun didn't seem to help at all. Guess I'm basically out of things to try; unless anyone else has an idea for me.
Were you ever able to get this resolved? If so, what was the fix?
Last Saturday, out of the clear blue - mine went out. The image is so cloudy that I can't see anything at all, only faint images of things moving. And my camera looks clear - no dirt, no moisture, and no plastic film. Before this it was like you mentioned - looked like 4k.

I don't understand why Ram can't get these cameras right. I had a Chevy Equinox and have a VW Tiguan - both of them have never had an issue with their backup cameras. (rant over)

Thanks.

6of36

Reaction score
Last Saturday, out of the clear blue - mine went out. The image is so cloudy that I can't see anything at all, only faint images of things moving. And my camera looks clear - no dirt, no moisture, and no plastic film. Before this it was like you mentioned - looked like 4k.

I don't understand why Ram can't get these cameras right. I had a Chevy Equinox and have a VW Tiguan - both of them have never had an issue with their backup cameras. (rant over)

Thanks.
Right now Ford has a recall on their camera systems. When you don't have a problem with them, ( I never have ), they are much clearer than any competition. My girlfriends brand new Buick Enclave sucks. Her Ford Edge wasn't much better.

mtnbikej

Reaction score

Thanks.

Glad to hear VW has sorted out their camera.....the 2015 Passat we had was horrible. We could back out garage, drive half way down the block before it would unfreeze.

fxdrider

Reaction score
When you don't have a problem with them, ( I never have ), they are much clearer than any competition.
Yep - agree. When they work, they really are nice.
You don't realize how much you rely on something until it's gone...

IMG_3907.JPG

Tones1975

Reaction score

Thanks.
Hey, I just left it while I mulled over the idea of replacing the camera and one day it just looked good again. Didn't do anything. So I really don't know what to say the solution was; lucky it worked itself out I guess. Lol

6of36

Reaction score
Hey, I just left it while I mulled over the idea of replacing the camera and one day it just looked good again. Didn't do anything. So I really don't know what to say the solution was; lucky it worked itself out I guess. Lol
Does the camera lens still look the same? If it doesn't have those bubbles, maybe it was moisture inside, like kdoublep suggested.

Tones1975

Reaction score
I would say it looks like it currently has more moisture in it now. So i really have no clue. I should prob look into a new camera tho, considering the cloudiness in it right now. 20230720_194454.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread