5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blown Shock

bcwood64

Reaction score
So while I was changing my oil I notice my right front shock seemed to have sand stuck to it. Went to grab it and notice there was fluid right in the middle. I wiped it off and wanted to see if it would come back.

Two weeks later same fluid in the same spot. Took it to the dealer and they said shock is bad and put one on order. If gas wasn’t so high I spend the money on the Eibach shocks. These are the Mopar Heavy Duty Off Road shocks that come with the off road package.

Shock is on order dealer said they aren’t back ordered hope to have it in 5-10 days. Truck only has 18,400 miles on it.
8734C6A2-7213-49ED-B96D-D00D503089AA.jpeg

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5-10 days not bad.
On my previous 4 gen they also went out at 18k.
Took 2 months to get them replace

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stuff goes bad, sometimes sooner than we want. Was it at least warrantied?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sucks for sure for it to go out so early, makes me wonder if it's the Covid era of production that caused Bilstein or whoever made that shock to go out so early.

Considering that shock is composed of parts from various vendors, any one of them could have had an issue that led to the leak, issue with the seal manufacturing, the rubber source itself or the assembly, so many variables.

To be honest, I'm surprised that as complicated and convoluted the amount of vendors and sources that make up a new vehicle these days, that we don't get more of these issues.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sucks for sure for it to go out so early, makes me wonder if it's the Covid era of production that caused Bilstein or whoever made that shock to go out so early.

Considering that shock is composed of parts from various vendors, any one of them could have had an issue that led to the leak, issue with the seal manufacturing, the rubber source itself or the assembly, so many variables.

To be honest, I'm surprised that as complicated and convoluted the amount of vendors and sources that make up a new vehicle these days, that we don't get more of these issues.
Incidentally, the ORG shocks are made by Hitachi, and the Rebel gets Bilsteins (that at least was true for the Rebel; I’m not sure if it still is).

bcwood64

Reaction score
Just picked the truck up from the dealer job complete and covered under warranty. Notice it doesn’t seem as bouncy in the front end.

Users who are viewing this thread