5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blown Motor

Chopemupgood

Reaction score
So on Oct 23, with just 6500 miles on it, my special ordered 22 Rebel had a fatal motor blowout. Bent rod, a busted piston, service advisor said it was the worst internal damage he's ever seen in a motor that new. Got it back after 2 weeks with a brand-new motor and it still doesn't run right. I may just have to go back to Toyota over this crap. The dealer keeps telling me they can't diagnose the issue unless it does it while hooked up to the analyzer. Anyone got any hints on where I should go from here, Ram care doesn't, care that is, just the basic runaround about the dealer taking care of the issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So on Oct 23, with just 6500 miles on it, my special ordered 22 Rebel had a fatal motor blowout. Bent rod, a busted piston, service advisor said it was the worst internal damage he's ever seen in a motor that new. Got it back after 2 weeks with a brand-new motor and it still doesn't run right. I may just have to go back to Toyota over this crap. The dealer keeps telling me they can't diagnose the issue unless it does it while hooked up to the analyzer. Anyone got any hints on where I should go from here, Ram care doesn't, care that is, just the basic runaround about the dealer taking care of the issue.
When you say it doesn't run right. Can you be more specific? What is it doing? If it's not doing it at the dealer, then when does it happen?

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
Run, don't walk away!

Start lemon buy back ASAP!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Without details it's hard to say, but is it possible the thing it's doing now is also what killed the original motor?

Chopemupgood

Reaction score
At times when stopped at a light it has a tremor to it, truck shakes like it has a slight miss or fuel issue or like it has a cam. You can't really tell a difference when driving but I don't drive my truck hard anyway, I actually baby it for fuel mileage and just overall care of the truck but I have ALWAYS kept meticulous mileage stats on all my vehicles and it has gone from 15-16 around town to 13-15 around town MPG-wise, mostly 13-14. We have been in the midst of a house remodel and doing without a truck is NOT an option since NO dealer will give me a truck as a loaner I am having to use it as is and hope it holds up. I DO plan to contact Ram care again and if they don't do anything I guess I will have to hire a lawyer. Thanks for the replies everyone!!

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Think some fuel injector cleaner or a dose of top tier 93 would help it out?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could be a coil pack or spark plug going bad. I'd probably start by pulling spark plugs to see what they looked like. Or, when it starts doing it, let it sit and idle for a while to see if it will pop a misfire code.

Chopemupgood

Reaction score
Think some fuel injector cleaner or a dose of top tier 93 would help it out?
1st motor got nothing BUT 89/93 octane and it didn't help that one, I sure am not going to waste money on this one.

Chopemupgood

Reaction score
Could be a coil pack or spark plug going bad. I'd probably start by pulling spark plugs to see what they looked like. Or, when it starts doing it, let it sit and idle for a while to see if it will pop a misfire code.
If the dealer can't figure it out then it will be going to the Lemon side!! I'm not wasting my time on this.

Chopemupgood

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, it's in the dealers hands next and if they can't find the issue I WILL be going Lemon!

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Did they say what caused the original engine to blow? What did idle do when it actually blew?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So when the original engine blew, did it get coolant into the exhaust or intake? And if so did they replace all the sensors, or did they maybe re-use one or more contaminated sensors? And how about the catalyst, they don't like glycol either?

Chopemupgood

Reaction score
So when the original engine blew, did it get coolant into the exhaust or intake? And if so did they replace all the sensors, or did they maybe re-use one or more contaminated sensors? And how about the catalyst, they don't like glycol either?
All they did was get a new long block and swap all parts so yes, I'm sure they used most of the old sensors.

Chopemupgood

Reaction score
eTorque, the crappy one that adds tech that doesn't REALLY do anything. The dealership is playing hard to get so I just emailed Ram a nasty letter, I doubt it will get much attention so next is the lawyer.

Last edited:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this the same symptom as the prior motor before it blew (if there were any symptoms)?

I would start with an oil change. I don’t like to go more than 500 miles on a brand new motor on the factory fill, due to the builders lube and debris from the build process. Something could be gumming up oil pressure at low rpm.

From there I’d also clean all sensors in the intake as well as inspect or replace the o2 sensors in the exhaust. If prior engine ingested coolant those are probably fouled.

Would love to be able to see the AFR / Lambda and fuel trims when the rough idle is happening.

Chopemupgood

Reaction score
Yes, the same symptoms, and I don't think I have even hit the 500-mile mark post-rebuild so I'm not going to do anything until Ram does what they should have done from the get-go, put a new motor in it! We shall see what the reply I get from Ram brings about, I may wind up taking a major hit to my wallet on this thing.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think long block was probably an appropriate step, but may not be the total answer. They also need to follow through with whatever else was damaged and/or whatever caused the failure. Rough idle is not normal. I'd be running some diagnostics, checking fuel trim, suspecting O2 sensors, injectors, VVT system.

Users who are viewing this thread