5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blown Motor at 21k - couple questions...

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not even sure I'd have a say, as it's covered under warranty. Perhaps another phone call here to the Service Manager with some clarification. Yep, just called him back and he confirmed with his peer in Parts that it was indeed new and they both presume it was dropped during crating, as the cracking is down along the lower bolts. Either way...new one is in delivery. :rolleyes:
It was sitting there for 2 months and they never bothered to even look at the part. I would be going as high up the food chain as I could making them all aware of their total incompetence and lack of customer CARE

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I could see the new engine sitting a few days, if they have one engine mechanic, and he's busy when it comes in, but the job should have been completed within a week of the engine arriving at the dealer.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Have you looked into the state's Lemon Laws? You have a great case for a buyback and a good discount on another truck. But it is up to you to start the process in most states. I think you can get some concessions from the dealer/Ram to make you happy. Perhaps an unlimited lifetime warranty bumper to bumper for the life of your ownership. That is cheap to them and provides you with a sense of security, so to speak.

BlueHemi1500

mffdvr

Reaction score
Have you looked into the state's Lemon Laws? You have a great case for a buyback and a good discount on another truck. But it is up to you to start the process in most states. I think you can get some concessions from the dealer/Ram to make you happy. Perhaps an unlimited lifetime warranty bumper to bumper for the life of your ownership. That is cheap to them and provides you with a sense of security, so to speak.

BlueHemi1500
I can't even imagine how I'd go about asking for unlimited bumper to bumper. Got any thoughts? I'm drafting up an email summary to the GM of the dealership currently to summarize things for him. That ought to be a fair start to open up the conversation, rather than striking up that conversation with the Service Manager.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Where would they get a "lifetime bumper to bumper" from, do they even exist?
It would have to be corporate. I had a 2001 ElDorado that had a trunk leak, due to a bad body seam, common that year. The car developed mold. I said I didn't want the car, I wanted to lemon law, due to the fact all the electronics for that car were in the trunk, and from being wet, could corrode at a later date. GM replaced everything behind the front seats. Rear seats, carpet, all trim panels, package tray, trunk carpet and trim. To get me to keep it, they gave me a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty. I should have turned them down. The worst quality car I ever owned. Wasn't sorry the ex got it in the divorce,lol.

reidcc

Reaction score
mffdvr-
I have been in the same position as you, although my miles were lower, and we know what happened with my motor. I worked with RAM Customer Care for remediation, and my dealer came through and I had my truck back within 30 days(29 days actually). Here in mass the lemon law was 30 days.

I bought my 2020 fairly loaded up Bighorn Quad Sport 9/25/20. At 400 miles(1 week old)- it developed a lower end rap, and I drove to local dealer. They were going to pull the pan, and I said- no...its going back to where I bought it, and had it towed there. They had it 3 days and gave me a loaner, but found nothing...NO NOISE NO RAP. The following week driving to work at 4AM it goes into limp mode and dash lights up. I can hear obvious engine noise, and moved over to breakdown lane where she quit...locked up solid.

They got me a new motor off the line and service manager kept me apprised of situation. When motor arrived they had it done in 2 days. When I picked it up- the tech wanted to go for a ride with me to check it out, and once we got out of parking lot- he couldn't wait to open his mouth and his phone photos!! He'd worked on RAMs for 20 yrs and had never seen anything like this. Upon pulling the pan there was a chunk of metal lodged in one of my crank journals. Upon further inspection they found that the reluctor wheel or tone ring attached to crank(for crank position sensor) broke up in pieces. All that they found for hardware was one bolt that was holding it on.

Upon working with RAM Customer Care, I was able to get a 7 yr 84K mile Extended Warranty for my trouble. I do not recall which level it is, but I'm happy to have it. As for perceived lack of trust in the vehicle, or need to dump, I would not worry about that. It has now been just about 3 yrs since, and I only have 23K miles on the truck, and I still love it. We know that the assembly work on my original motor was just a fluke, either the stopped at break time with the first crank bolt, or whatever. The truck still rides better than the Chevy and GMC I drove, and besides- they have their own issues with lifters and pushrods.

I don't know how far you could get asking for an extended warranty, and I'm sure what went in my favor was it was truly a brand new truck.

Drive it, enjoy it and don't think too much about it.

Chris

mffdvr

Reaction score
Appreciate it Chris. Super helpful and reassuring. Glad things worked out well for you and I’m hoping for the same.

mffdvr

Reaction score
Okay, I took delivery last night and things appear to be functioning. Thought I'd share what they found in the write up....summarized below :eek:

...took an oil sample and found metal in oil pan and upon removal of the main bearing caps they found the #6 main bearing failure, damaging the crank and sending metal throughout engine, oil control valve covered in metal, etc etc.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
mffdvr-
I have been in the same position as you, although my miles were lower, and we know what happened with my motor. I worked with RAM Customer Care for remediation, and my dealer came through and I had my truck back within 30 days(29 days actually). Here in mass the lemon law was 30 days.

I bought my 2020 fairly loaded up Bighorn Quad Sport 9/25/20. At 400 miles(1 week old)- it developed a lower end rap, and I drove to local dealer. They were going to pull the pan, and I said- no...its going back to where I bought it, and had it towed there. They had it 3 days and gave me a loaner, but found nothing...NO NOISE NO RAP. The following week driving to work at 4AM it goes into limp mode and dash lights up. I can hear obvious engine noise, and moved over to breakdown lane where she quit...locked up solid.

They got me a new motor off the line and service manager kept me apprised of situation. When motor arrived they had it done in 2 days. When I picked it up- the tech wanted to go for a ride with me to check it out, and once we got out of parking lot- he couldn't wait to open his mouth and his phone photos!! He'd worked on RAMs for 20 yrs and had never seen anything like this. Upon pulling the pan there was a chunk of metal lodged in one of my crank journals. Upon further inspection they found that the reluctor wheel or tone ring attached to crank(for crank position sensor) broke up in pieces. All that they found for hardware was one bolt that was holding it on.

Upon working with RAM Customer Care, I was able to get a 7 yr 84K mile Extended Warranty for my trouble. I do not recall which level it is, but I'm happy to have it. As for perceived lack of trust in the vehicle, or need to dump, I would not worry about that. It has now been just about 3 yrs since, and I only have 23K miles on the truck, and I still love it. We know that the assembly work on my original motor was just a fluke, either the stopped at break time with the first crank bolt, or whatever. The truck still rides better than the Chevy and GMC I drove, and besides- they have their own issues with lifters and pushrods.

I don't know how far you could get asking for an extended warranty, and I'm sure what went in my favor was it was truly a brand new truck.

Drive it, enjoy it and don't think too much about it.

Chris
Okay, I took delivery last night and things appear to be functioning. Thought I'd share what they found in the write up....summarized below :eek:

...took an oil sample and found metal in oil pan and upon removal of the main bearing caps they found the #6 main bearing failure, damaging the crank and sending metal throughout engine, oil control valve covered in metal, etc etc.
@reidcc having the more local dealer re kce the oil pan, when they suggested it, might have prevented a catastrophic failure.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
I can't even imagine how I'd go about asking for unlimited bumper to bumper. Got any thoughts? I'm drafting up an email summary to the GM of the dealership currently to summarize things for him. That ought to be a fair start to open up the conversation, rather than striking up that conversation with the Service Manager.
The national corporation would issue the warranty so that it would be valid at any dealer. Every state's lemon laws are different. A chat with the management at the dealership is a great start. I would look up the law before the conversation(s). A lawyer may also be worth the time, depending on how far/hard you want to press the issue.
I hope you can reach a settlement that you can accept.

BlueHemi1500

reidcc

Reaction score
@reidcc having the more local dealer re kce the oil pan, when they suggested it, might have prevented a catastrophic failure.
Woulda coulda shoulda...ya know- sometimes emotion just gets in the way. a RAP is not a good thing period, and just because it went away once doesn't mean damage was not done. Yes- my purchasing dealer cleared it to drive, and when it happened the second time and went into limp mode and the noises I heard- I had an idea of what was coming next.

Users who are viewing this thread