5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blown Head gasket

Scrambler

Reaction score
Short story is that at 65,000 miles my head gasket blew out. I'm religious about changing oil and maintaining it not to mention babying the motor. The heaviest thing I've ever towed is 2 yards of mulch in a 4x6 trailer. I'm kicking myself for trading in my Chevy for this now $6,000 repair job with such low miles!!!! I opened a claim with Ram and we'll see where it goes. What a nightmare!!!!

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Man, that sucks. Good luck in your case with Ram.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Short story is that at 65,000 miles my head gasket blew out. I'm religious about changing oil and maintaining it not to mention babying the motor. The heaviest thing I've ever towed is 2 yards of mulch in a 4x6 trailer. I'm kicking myself for trading in my Chevy for this now $6,000 repair job with such low miles!!!! I opened a claim with Ram and we'll see where it goes. What a nightmare!!!!
sorry to hear man. :cry:

silver billet

Reaction score
That's why i'm surprised the v6 can even make it move.

We're pretty spoiled with the performance of today's v8's and transmissions. My guess is the v6 even in a heavy limited moves better than a 90's era silverado/ram with a v8. My brother had a second gen ram with the magnum v8 and from what I remember it was kinda poky, it would upshift into second or third and suddenly it's like the engine left the chat.

Jako

Reaction score
We're pretty spoiled with the performance of today's v8's and transmissions. My guess is the v6 even in a heavy limited moves better than a 90's era silverado/ram with a v8. My brother had a second gen ram with the magnum v8 and from what I remember it was kinda poky, it would upshift into second or third and suddenly it's like the engine left the chat.
Still have my 2001 Dodge Ram SLT with a 5.2. I believe it is 230 hp and under 300 torque. I considered the 6 cyl for my 2019 Ram as the 2001 proved adequate for my needs. Opted for the hemi and very glad I did.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, to hear that. They had a problem with heads back in 2012, mostly Wranglers I think. They extended warranty on them. Haven't heard of any issues since, but...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 97 Expedition with it's 4.6L V8 was under-powered empty, no idea what these numbers are.

Users who are viewing this thread