5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blocked/Blurred license plate

Burnzie

Reaction score
Why do people do that? I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world but I don't think someone can type in your plate # on a computer unless they are a cop and find out where you live and come steal your truck/car or whatever. I'm proud of my plate NOTYORS everybody asks me about it and it comes from my work, we used to have a bunch of young punks @ our shop and my tools would disappear all the time (trisquares, grinders,soapstone, air tools and such) so I would use my paint pen and write NOT YOURS on everything . My boss thought it was a great idea.

William1034

Reaction score
I suspect more people will see your plates in a day (and pretty much ignore it) in every day life than will see it online
Looking at you truck on the road no one knows the mods you have made, what you keep in the truck, etc.When posting on line they know what you have done to your truck, if you keep expensive tools in it, some people post that they forget to lock their doors. I would not risk posting my license plate on the web.

BobK

Reaction score
There are just so many bad people out there i would not risk it. You get in a argument on a forum, your plate it shown, some nut wants to track you down....etc..

rws1944

Reaction score
In my neck of the woods folks blur their plates in an attempt to defeat red light cameras. They are a big money maker for local jurisdictions.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods folks blur their plates in an attempt to defeat red light cameras. They are a big money maker for local jurisdictions.

I think we were actually talking about posting photos .. :)

But, yes, you can place a film over the plates (doesn't show as nasty as those plastic covers) ..

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Looking at you truck on the road no one knows the mods you have made, what you keep in the truck, etc.When posting on line they know what you have done to your truck, if you keep expensive tools in it, some people post that they forget to lock their doors. I would not risk posting my license plate on the web.
^^^ This ^^^

Kevinch

Reaction score
I suspect more people will see your plates in a day (and pretty much ignore it) in every day life than will see it online
^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^

If I see a hot modded truck going down the road, I can take a cell phone pic of the plate, if it will help track it down. No different than a pic on a forum - &, if I'm near my home, chances are better than not I'm taking a picture of vehicle whose owner lives in the area.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^

If I see a hot modded truck going down the road, I can take a cell phone pic of the plate, if it will help track it down. No different than a pic on a forum - &, if I'm near my home, chances are better than not I'm taking a picture of vehicle whose owner lives in the area.
Very different scenario.

Here and on other forums, people don't just share pics of their vehicles, but also of their other "toys", like wave runners, watches, guns, garages full of tools, etc, etc.
There's a lot more information shared online than just seeing a cool truck on the street. I play it safe and black out my plates. Feel free to do whatever works for you.

Cheers,

Kevinch

Reaction score
Very different scenario.

Here and on other forums, people don't just share pics of their vehicles, but also of their other "toys", like wave runners, watches, guns, garages full of tools, etc, etc.
There's a lot more information shared online than just seeing a cool truck on the street. I play it safe and black out my plates. Feel free to do whatever works for you.

Cheers,
I couldn't agree more that we are free to do whatever! But if you're sharing that much personal info on the web.....IMO, you're just asking for trouble. Some things are better remaining private. Enjoy your day!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use an IR laser in the plate frame. People can read it fine, but any camera just sees a blob, no matter how much IR filtering they have. Been running them for years. Only need to clean it every so often.

kilcher

Reaction score
Why do people do that? I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world but I don't think someone can type in your plate # on a computer unless they are a cop and find out where you live and come steal your truck/car or whatever. I'm proud of my plate NOTYORS everybody asks me about it and it comes from my work, we used to have a bunch of young punks @ our shop and my tools would disappear all the time (trisquares, grinders,soapstone, air tools and such) so I would use my paint pen and write NOT YOURS on everything . My boss thought it was a great idea.
It's especially odd on Facebook groups where you can look at someone's profile and find out everything about them - especially when they have other pictures of their truck with the plates not blurred out. :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread