5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blind Spot Monitoring

-Nightwind-

Reaction score
For those of you with the equipped blind spot monitoring, is it worth the $500 cost? Now that the multi-function tailgates are available, the options are adding up. $$$

Is it worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone will be different but it's definitely one of the first options I look for these days.

supercanadian

Reaction score
It’s a feature I made sure my 2018 f150 didn’t have but it came with my limited and I love it. I still don’t rely on it but it’s a nice safety to have and I use it all the time.

Not sure why I didn’t want it before.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is 100% worth paying extra for. Blind Spot Monitoring is probably one of my favorite features of this truck. Think of it this way; it costs about the same as a collision deductible. My Blind Spot Monitoring has prevented me from merging several times when a little car was hiding in my blind spot.

Last edited:

jkm312

Reaction score
Yes it is. However, it is not a reason to think you don't have to pay full attention when you are driving. What it is, is another tool to use for your safety and those around you. It may alert you to an object a moment before you realize it is there because you can't see all 4 corners at once. Like any tool, you have to learn how to use it.

Ranger482

Reaction score
Yes, it is worth it. And if you ever pull a trailer it adjusts the blind spot to cover the trailer length as well. Very helpful and an additional safety check in addition to always looking to verify yourself.

Baron74

Reaction score
For those of you with the equipped blind spot monitoring, is it worth the $500 cost? Now that the multi-function tailgates are available, the options are adding up. $$$

Is it worth it?

Yes, without a doubt. Visual and an audible (defeatable) warning that can save you an accident. I won't own a vehicle without it.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You also might want to check with your auto insurance company. Some companies have discounts off of your premium for certain safety features which can save you money and, in effect, reduce the cost of the option on the Ram.

SColang22

Reaction score

Is it worth it?

If it was blind spot or multifunction tailgate blind spot for sure

renzo2213

Reaction score
I’m going to be honest with you, at first, it wasn’t worth it because both the driver and passenger side mirrors have the blind spot mirror and the sensor only picks up a car that’s very close to you. I didn’t really use, I would always just look at the little mirror. BUT, I got my windows tinted this weekend to match the back, and it’s he’s got see at night through the mirror and I’ve started to rely more on the sensor. So, if you’re not going to tint the windows, I would not bother getting it. If you are, get them. I just wish the sensors would detect a car a little further out then it does, like 99.9% of other cars do lol

blue tom

Reaction score
I do wish they were a little smarter, like some of the Hyundais that will sense a car approaching your blind spot from behind (rather than just one that is currently in the blind spot), but yeah. I'd have to say any added safety tech is going to be worth it. Can I drive without it? Sure. I've been driving a 2010 Ford with nary a parking sensor, let alone any sort of cameras or alerts, and I haven't merged into anyone yet.

But I think the blind spot monitor should be basic equipment these days, like a rear view camera. For what it's worth, I went from none of this technology to all of it with the Advanced Safety Tech + Level 1 packages, and even at well more than $500, I think every piece of it is worth it if it saves me or my truck or someone else at some point.

So yeah. I'd take the blind spot monitor over the barn doors if I had to choose.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
My truck had it, picked from dealer stock. It was the only option on it that I didn't ask for or want ... But sure, I'll take it since the truck is exactly what I wanted. But now that I've had the BSM option, I wouldn't want to do without it. I won't even grumble about paying for it next time.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s worth it , my wife’s van has it and after I drove it I wanted it on the truck .

smankins

Reaction score

Is it worth it?

It was a must have when I was searching for my truck this past summer. I lost the sight in my right eye March of last year and it really helps those lane changes. It is also really nice when backing out of a parking spot since it warns you when other cars are coming.

Users who are viewing this thread