5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blind spot monitoring issue

Tones1975

Reaction score
So I'm starting to have weird things happening with my BSM system.
I've noticed in the past month or so that every once in a while when I get passed, the BSM on the driver's side mirror flickers but doesn't light up solid or it fails to light up at all.
Last night tho, it was doing the flicker a few times; then I noticed that both mirrors had the orange triangles lit up at the same time. They stayed in this state for about an hour while driving on the highway and then just went back to normal. Not sure where to even start looking for the possible cause.
Anyone else had this problem?

stronbl

Reaction score
Do not have this problem with my Ram but I did have a similar (maybe??) sort of problem with another car. The driver's side BSM would sometimes just come on regardless if there was a vehicle there or not. Only happened during the daylight hours and usually afternoon when the sun was getting lower from noon to sunset (worked perfectly fine at night though). Turns out the BSM sensor on the drivers side was going bad and was getting confused by the reflected light somehow or at least that's what the tech said. Anyway replaced the sensor and realigned it and all was good again.

With these cars nowadays and so much interaction between all the electronics, hard to say, but if you can somehow test the BSM sensor, that may perhaps help to prove or eliminate it.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have a way to check codes? Could have a sensor starting to go out

Tones1975

Reaction score
Update.........I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and started and shut truck off then opened drivers door a few times after reconnecting the battery to get the Uconnect back up to speed and now the BSM is working fine for a few days now.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do not have this problem with my Ram but I did have a similar (maybe??) sort of problem with another car. The driver's side BSM would sometimes just come on regardless if there was a vehicle there or not. Only happened during the daylight hours and usually afternoon when the sun was getting lower from noon to sunset (worked perfectly fine at night though). Turns out the BSM sensor on the drivers side was going bad and was getting confused by the reflected light somehow or at least that's what the tech said. Anyway replaced the sensor and realigned it and all was good again.

With these cars nowadays and so much interaction between all the electronics, hard to say, but if you can somehow test the BSM sensor, that may perhaps help to prove or eliminate it.
Just an FYI, the Sensors are using Radar waves to detect an object. They surely not impacted by any light or reflection of any light source.

Users who are viewing this thread