5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blind spot monitor - side view mirrors

sessman

Reaction score
Does the RAM 1500 have blind spot monitoring standard (light comes on the side view mirror when a car is in your blind spot so you don't change lanes into them)? I know I've seen the light on my side view mirror previously when cars are in my blindspot but can't determine if it stopped working or if I'm remembering it from my old 2019 RAM that was totaled. I replaced the 2019 with my 2021 in August. I confirmed it is currently not working on my 2021 if indeed it is a standard feature.

Appreciate the help!

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
I do not know about ‘21s but on the ‘22s it comes on certain packages.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Option packages for some 2021 end of year models were changed to eliminate this. Basically, for Laramies, if you have Equipment Level 1 or 2 packages you'll have BSM and CPD. If you have Equipment Level A or B you won't have that. It seems like they made that change some time in late March or early April, and it was in effect for the remainder of the model year. Check your window sticker or build sheet to see if your truck is equipped with it.

sessman

Reaction score
Option packages for some 2021 end of year models were changed to eliminate this. Basically, for Laramies, if you have Equipment Level 1 or 2 packages you'll have BSM and CPD. If you have Equipment Level A or B you won't have that. It seems like they made that change some time in late March or early April, and it was in effect for the remainder of the model year. Check your window sticker or build sheet to see if your truck is equipped with it.
Hmm I will have to check, I think I have the level 2 package since I have the 12" Uconnect w/ Harmon Kardon system. I don't have adaptive cruise control though. Is there a way to turn the feature on/off on Uconnect?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm I will have to check, I think I have the level 2 package since I have the 12" Uconnect w/ Harmon Kardon system. I don't have adaptive cruise control though. Is there a way to turn the feature on/off on Uconnect?
I don't think the 12" UConnect is exclusive to Level 2 or Level B. If you have the Level B, you don't have Blind Spot or Cross Detection.

Append your VIN to the end of this URL and that should give you your Build Sheet if you don't have it.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
don't forget, some vehicles that were supposed to get the BSM, had them deleted by FCA due to chip shortages. Your build sheet should show this as a credit if it happened to you.

Gary1243

Reaction score
I will echo the previous comments. They had level 1 and 2 on the laramies up until about maybe June of 2021 then they changed to A and B due to chip shortage and eliminated BSM in the Laramie Package until recently. I see it is now back to level 1 or 2 when you price to build now. I see you have level B listed on yours. It's a shame as it is great feature and highly recommended by consumer reports safety advocates. It was one of the requirements when I bought my truck in March of 2021. Especially great when trailer towing. You can adjust how it works on your unconnect with regards to the flashing light in the mirrors and sound alarms.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You have Level B in your signature, so you definitely don't have BSM. My truck is the same. I ordered in late April and Level 1&2 were already converted to A&B due to the chip shortage.

sessman

Reaction score
You have Level B in your signature, so you definitely don't have BSM. My truck is the same. I ordered in late April and Level 1&2 were already converted to A&B due to the chip shortage.
Bummer. I never realized this happened!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bummer. I never realized this happened!
A few members have added this and some of the other safety options to their trucks.

I may end up adding adaptive cruise control.

sessman

Reaction score
A few members have added this and some of the other safety options to their trucks.

I may end up adding adaptive cruise control.
Thanks for the info. Can the dealership add these features or is it an at home "piecemeal" project?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Can the dealership add these features or is it an at home "piecemeal" project?
My understanding is this isn't something a dealer would do, but I haven't talked to mine yet.

Everyone I've seen who has done it these upgrades were DIY.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

sskmah

Reaction score
I am checking out a 2019 Limited fully loaded all options, including trailer tow pkg and mirrors. I know I loose surround view cameras and power folding, with the tow mirrors. My question is, what exactly is it that I loose? Does everything else function as normal? For future, can I convert from trailer tow mirrors back to standard mirrors and re-gain surround-view? It looks like it is possible, I just want to make sure before making the commitment to purchase newer vehicle. At present, I don't tow much of anything at all but the package comes with the vehicle and it is really nice, with low mileage and off pkg. I know this is not the spot but how does the off road pkg add or subtract to mainly interstate driving? I had 2014 Laramie Longhorn but it was totaled by someone turning left in front of me. TKs.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you've never used surround view you won't miss anything. After I rented a car with it a couple years ago, I had to have it on my next vehicle. It was the same for me when high-def TV was first getting popular. I didn't need it until I watched a football game on a high-def big screen.

There were a lot of people who were disappointed when they took delivery of their nice new loaded 2019 and 2020 trucks, only to find that the surround view and power folding mirrors were missing because of having the tow package. It was almost like Ram wasn't telling buyers that was gonna happen, although I think it was more a matter of dealerships not knowing enough about what they were selling.

Anyway, since you're going into this knowing you won't have those two features, if you like the truck then buy it. If you do buy it, just don't test drive a vehicle with surround view like...ever, after that. :p

Users who are viewing this thread