5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blind Spot: All the things that could go wrong did.

Paco

Reaction score
Well Now that its working, I am beyond myself.
But to say I did everything correct would be a lie.

Where to start:
1. On 1 of the Blind spot installs (15-30 pages in I dont remember but I aint going looking again), it shows a picture of a canbus that you need to plug into.
It is not the correct one, and if you plug into it, you will regret you were ever born,(Almost impossible to get to release after plugged in.
).
The proper Canbus is underneath the panel on the side of the firewall, it comes off with the bottom kickplate in 1 piece.
It has 2 rows of white connectors on it, thats the only 1 you should use, if I can fck it up maybe some others might also???.

2. The Harness from Jimmy is a really really nice work of art. BUT:
For me I had problems.
When trying to get it slide into the xv400 harness, it would not click into place.(Was it Me???)
No idea, but it would not click in, and that brings on all kinds of worry about what you are doing wrong.

The only was I could get it to click into place was by shaving the Blue seal down to almost nothing.
As soon as I did this, I tried to install it again, and instantly it clicked into place.
Lost a good hour re-reading the instructions a couple dozen times trying to figure out why it would not click into place.
The fact is the blue seals made it impossible to slide into the holes.
I wonder if the blue plugs should be left further up on the harness, then they could be slide down after the wires are locked into place.
Lots of other little problems(drivers taillight harness fully populated).

I would like to Thank Jimmy for all his help, without it I was not going to get this mod done.
Difficulty doing it for me a 9.
Difficulty knowing what I know now =3.

The bottom line, theres was to many forums on this mod, and theres a lot of miss information.
Vehicle config 7 being top of my list.

The first picture shows how low on the connector the blue seal is.( I could not get it to click into the harness until I completly cut it flush.???
Im sure Jimmy will have something to say, about what i did wrong???
The 3rd picture shows the proper canbus.
if I help 1 person, I will be happy.

Attachments

• Wire 3.jpg
    Wire 3.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 34
  • wire 1 .jpg
    wire 1 .jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Can bus.jpg
    Can bus.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 32

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well Now that its working, I am beyond myself.
But to say I did everything correct would be a lie.

Where to start:
1. On 1 of the Blind spot installs (15-30 pages in I dont remember but I aint going looking again), it shows a picture of a canbus that you need to plug into.
It is not the correct one, and if you plug into it, you will regret you were ever born,(Almost impossible to get to release after plugged in.
).
The proper Canbus is underneath the panel on the side of the firewall, it comes off with the bottom kickplate in 1 piece.
It has 2 rows of white connectors on it, thats the only 1 you should use, if I can fck it up maybe some others might also???.

2. The Harness from Jimmy is a really really nice work of art. BUT:
For me I had problems.
When trying to get it slide into the xv400 harness, it would not click into place.(Was it Me???)
No idea, but it would not click in, and that brings on all kinds of worry about what you are doing wrong.

The only was I could get it to click into place was by shaving the Blue seal down to almost nothing.
As soon as I did this, I tried to install it again, and instantly it clicked into place.
Lost a good hour re-reading the instructions a couple dozen times trying to figure out why it would not click into place.
The fact is the blue seals made it impossible to slide into the holes.
I wonder if the blue plugs should be left further up on the harness, then they could be slide down after the wires are locked into place.
Lots of other little problems(drivers taillight harness fully populated).

I would like to Thank Jimmy for all his help, without it I was not going to get this mod done.
Difficulty doing it for me a 9.
Difficulty knowing what I know now =3.

The bottom line, theres was to many forums on this mod, and theres a lot of miss information.
Vehicle config 7 being top of my list.

The first picture shows how low on the connector the blue seal is.( I could not get it to click into the harness until I completly cut it flush.???
Im sure Jimmy will have something to say, about what i did wrong???
The 3rd picture shows the proper canbus.
if I help 1 person, I will be happy.
I'm glad that you got it working.
You should've just pushed the pins in place by the blue seal, not the wire. It does take a certain degree of finesse.
Now, you don't have a hermetic seal around that wire. That defeats all the other properly sealed wires.

A lot of the installation techniques that are required for these various modifications are already known by most of those because they have prior experience with such things. Whether from, career training or just many years of hands-on and learning from others.

Just ask for help before you get in over your head. There are many on this forum that would be glad to help!

GTG2022

Reaction score
Thumbs up for not giving up and getting everything working. I too plugged the canbus connector to the wrong spot, the one up higher behind the side dashboard panel but it was an easy removal because it just lifts up and releases (at least for me it did). It was also a bit difficult to get the xy400 pins in but I used dielectric grease and they went in fairly easy. I finished hooking up the mirrors today and it's all working correctly. The only part I was hesitant about was splicing into the brown ground wire to get the mirror LED connected. After I got the first one done, the other was a piece of cake.

Paco

Reaction score
50 miles from home at a friends shop did not leave me a lot of options.
I tried needle nose pliers and a few other tools, but honestly the suggestion of die-electric grease seems to make the most sense.
I tried with a pic and it started to cut into the wire.(The last thing I wanted to do was break or expose some bare wire.

1 thing I dont understand though:
If you force the blue seal down with the wire: How can you lift up on the wire and see if its clicked into place???
When I removed the Blue seal it went in easily and I could hear the click, as well as lift up on the wire to confirm it had locked into place.
Im not sure you could do this with the blue seal still on it.????

If I had to do it again, I would still shave the Blue seal off, as the wire is a fine gauge and it would not take much to break it????
Today I will go out and put a dab of silicone on the wires to seal them.

I took the truck out for a drive last night, was really excited to see the light work on the mirror, and after several minutes the sound came on also.
I also see the option in my 12inch screen to turn on sound, etc.
Not sure how to lower the sound but maybe someone can chime in.

Lots of places to save money next time.
But Jimmy harness with all the connectors numbered is a must for me if I do it for my friends truck.

Big Thanks to Jimmy for answering all the questions I had, there were a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online