5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blackstone oil analysis, high iron and copper only have 22k miles on engine

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
when I was thinking about building a race car, I wanted high pressure but after talking to real racers they said higher volume is better than high pressure.

but to each their own
I’m being sarcastic. I don’t care that much, I just go with the recommended viscosity and use reputable researched oils.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
when I was thinking about building a race car, I wanted high pressure but after talking to real racers they said higher volume is better than high pressure.

but to each their own
Very true. High pressure doesn't always float the crankshaft like volume will. Pump on my car is high volume, just have to make sure you don't suck the pan dry with high volume

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very true. High pressure doesn't always float the crankshaft like volume will. Pump on my car is high volume, just have to make sure you don't suck the pan dry with high volume
If you don't change anything else in the system, going to a high volume pump will also increase pressure. You can't get more volume through a passage without increasing pressure, or making the passage larger. And you can't increase pressure without increasing volume, or making passage smaller

BowDown

Reaction score
I’m being sarcastic. I don’t care that much, I just go with the recommended viscosity and use reputable researched oils.
Me too and exactly why I don't get the guy telling everyone to use the non recommended weight oil. As soon as something happens, they are going to be looking for ways to get out of paying for it.
Oh I'm sorry sir, your warranty has been voided. You have non approved oil in the engine, the failure is your responsibility. Yeah, f that. I'm using what you said to run and if it blows up, come pick it up can d call me when its fixed

BowDown

Reaction score
If you don't change anything else in the system, going to a high volume pump will also increase pressure. You can't get more volume through a passage without increasing pressure, or making the passage larger. And you can't increase pressure without increasing volume, or making passage smaller
I've got other changes but I should have been more clear. Yes, a high volume pump will increase oil pressure but not like a high pressure oil pump

High-Volume Oil Pump​

A High-Volume Pump will push more oil through the system. It has larger gears to move more oil per revolution.

These pumps are good for performance engines with larger bearing clearances. The added oil will help maintain oil pressure and carry away heat.

A high-volume pump may also be required to lubricate add-on engine parts. This includes:

• External oil coolers
  • Remote oil filters
  • Camshaft phasers (Variable Valve Timing)
  • Superchargers/Turbochargers
  • Etc.

High-Pressure Oil Pump​

High-Pressure Pumps have a stiffer spring in the bypass valve. This allows more pressure to build before bypassing the oil back to the pan.

These pumps are required for performance engines that turn high rpm. If you are racing at 7,000 rpm, you need 70 psi. With some pumps, you can change the Pressure Relief Spring to raise or lower the pressure.

Katech offers all three, high volume, high pressure and high volume/high pressure. I'm using a modified blue pump, higher volume, 25% higher pressure

St-na

Reaction score
Interesting thread. Most discussions off topic. Rule of thumb : use the oil strictly according to maker recommendations, higher operation temperatures, higher viscosity index. All the rest is on the housewife level and can be used for cooking oil discussions. Back to the topic: flagging limits are different for all engine. Oil Analysis Flagging Limits: Prolonging the Life of Your Equipment as reference.

Attachments

• Oil.pdf
    54.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread