5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blackstone analysis

mdirads

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 22 EcoDiesel, and just did my 5th oil change at 15,568 miles. I sent a sample to Blackstone (the 4th sample from this engine), and the report is attached. I am using the recommended Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 when I do the changes (3 of the 5), and whatever the dealer uses when it is in for dealer service (2 of the 5), which I assume is the same oil. The dealership did the changes on 9/12/23 and the most recent on 4/13/24.

The comments section raises some concern. Should I continue with the Pennzoil, or should I switch to Shell Rotella? This is the first diesel I’ve owned, so I am looking for assistance. FWIW, I use Hot Shots diesel additive every time I fill the tank.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 22 RAM 1500-240413 copy.pdf
    24.5 KB · Views: 36

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't open the report for some reason but if it's reporting high aluminum that seems to be pretty common with the Gen3 ecodiesel. They all seem to have high aluminum numbers.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk

mdirads

Reaction score
I searched this forum and there was a previous thread on recorded oil. A Euro spec oil has been recommended and two types are Quaker State Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil and Castrol Edge Euro Car Formula 5w-40.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Terrible advice.

More of your self appointed expert nonsense.

Some people who read these forums are easily manipulated by fake expert advice just like yours and tend to over-think, needlessly spend, and see non-existent problems. There is no need or advantage to routine oil analysis especially when changing your oil every 3000 miles as the OP stated.

In 15,000 miles he's changed his oil 5 times and had it analyzed 4 times. It's ridiculous and unnecessary.

tom318

Reaction score
I did it just to have a nicer documented service record since I did my own oil changes. I've since moved away from sending it out as all it did was cause concern when there really wasn't anything wrong. And they raised prices. I'm at 100k now and no real issues apart form recalled fuel pump which is now taken care of.
One suggestion for those changing their own oil, let it drain for a while (30min+). This was told to me by an Ecodiesel tech at my local dealer as its easy to overfill these engines. I was guilty of this. Id let it drain for 10min and since the dipstick is so terrible its really hard to tell if you go it right.

cdsons

Reaction score
More of your self appointed expert nonsense.

Some people who read these forums are easily manipulated by fake expert advice just like yours and tend to over-think, needlessly spend, and see non-existent problems. There is no need or advantage to routine oil analysis especially when changing your oil every 3000 miles as the OP stated.

In 15,000 miles he's changed his oil 5 times and had it analyzed 4 times. It's ridiculous and unnecessary.
I 100% agree, some of these guys have wayyy to much spare time on their hands. These things are made to be driven, if these guys are that concerned about every little detail then they might want to think about leasing. Especially because most of these so called " Motorheads" don't put enough miles on their trucks in a year to come close to exceeding typical allotted lease mileage.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I 100% agree, some of these guys have wayyy to much spare time on their hands. These things are made to be driven, if these guys are that concerned about every little detail then they might want to think about leasing. Especially because most of these so called " Motorheads" don't put enough miles on their trucks in a year to come close to exceeding typical allotted lease mileage.
Bingo,

144,000km on my ecodiesel. Zero issues, do my own changes and fuel filter changes. Just got it first set of brakes about a month ago. I have over 22,000 km of towing as well. It's been GDE tuned since 100,000km.

Sent my first sample to Blackstone today just to see how things are going. But based off my analysis I see I'm expecting it to have high aluminum numbers.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread