5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blacked out emblems, going for a crome and black look.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You were able to find a place that didn't have the tailgate emblem on backorder?

Chuckycardenas

Reaction score
Let me know how you change the tailgate emblem. I have had mine for a minute just scared to change it. Don’t want to scratch or break anything.

Mopar21222

Reaction score
I used some heat to soften the adhesive, then a rag and screwdriver to pry her loose a bit. Did scratch slightly under the emblem though when I slipped. They are on there really snugly!

Also, I have an extra black ramshead tailgate emblem if anyone needs one; I bought one on ebay and then thru the dealer as a package deal.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me know how you change the tailgate emblem. I have had mine for a minute just scared to change it. Don’t want to scratch or break anything.

Masking tape around the edges. Heat gun and plastic body trim pry tool to break up the adhesive. Yes it on there pretty tight.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Does anyone have the part #'s for "RAM" letters on the door and the 4x4 badges on tailgate?

John813

Reaction score
Does anyone have the part #'s for "RAM" letters on the door and the 4x4 badges on tailgate?

68309785AB for RAM
68276325AB for 4X4*

May need to verify the 4x4, but think that's the number I've seen floating around forums.

Tesurf71

Reaction score
Finaly have the rest of the blacked out emblems on the way. Sooo stoked found the 2019 black rear ram emb on ebay yehhhh! Will have photos next week when its done.
Blacked out emblems

Attachments

• 20180820_073044.jpg
    20180820_073044.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 20180827_124515-COLLAGE.jpg
    20180827_124515-COLLAGE.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 162

DSOOBY

Reaction score
68309785AB for RAM
68276325AB for 4X4*

May need to verify the 4x4, but think that's the number I've seen floating around forums.

That 4x4 part number is correct, I ordered it last night. The last one I need to find is the Bighorn badge for the tailgate but I might leave it as is since the small amount of chrome it adds make's it actually legible. You can barely read the badge on the with the black version.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was just looking on ebay today they did have the decals to cover the badges in multiple covers. Glad the Rebel ones are already blacked out.

drsubie

Reaction score
I've heard using heat (or parking it out in sun) then dental floss also works to get off emblems, then goo-gone to remove adhesive residue...

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some of my observations from removing the stock emblems:

Tailgate -- Used heat gun and masking tape around the edges. Plastic body trim pry tool to separate the adhesive. Fishing line didn't work because of the way the emblem is embedded in tailgate. Gorilla hand strength to pry off the chrome overlay and more prying and pulling to remove the black piece underneath. I couldn't remove the emblem in one piece. There is a ****load of 3M adhesive lol. Took my time with this one and everything came off clean with no scratches.

Laramie tailgate badge -- Heat gun and masking tape around the edges. There were sharp edges on my badge so it kept cutting the fishing line. Used a combination of pry tool and fishing line.

Door badges - Fishing line only. This one was very easy.

3M adhesive -- grab a corner and pull up and away at a slight angle and the adhesive will pretty much come off in a single piece if you keep the angle and pulling steady. Used goo gone for any remaining residue.

M. Scarn

Reaction score
Some of my observations from removing the stock emblems:

Tailgate -- Used heat gun and masking tape around the edges. Plastic body trim pry tool to separate the adhesive. Fishing line didn't work because of the way the emblem is embedded in tailgate. Gorilla hand strength to pry off the chrome overlay and more prying and pulling to remove the black piece underneath. I couldn't remove the emblem in one piece. There is a ****load of 3M adhesive lol. Took my time with this one and everything came off clean with no scratches.

Laramie tailgate badge -- Heat gun and masking tape around the edges. There were sharp edges on my badge so it kept cutting the fishing line. Used a combination of pry tool and fishing line.

Door badges - Fishing line only. This one was very easy.

3M adhesive -- grab a corner and pull up and away at a slight angle and the adhesive will pretty much come off in a single piece if you keep the angle and pulling steady. Used goo gone for any remaining residue.

was having the same exact problem with the Laramie badge, finally gave up as I didn't know what was under there. I doubled up the fishing line with a heat gun as well. masking tape around edges for what? prevent scratching? any particular pry tool? Thanks

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
was having the same exact problem with the Laramie badge, finally gave up as I didn't know what was under there. I doubled up the fishing line with a heat gun as well. masking tape around edges for what? prevent scratching? any particular pry tool? Thanks

masking tape to prevent scratching. Used body trim pry tool.

Users who are viewing this thread