5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black vs silver bed rails on 2019/2020 1500s??

WilburNJ

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a 2020 Laramie with Rambox and MFT. It came with black bed rails like the ones shown in this mopar video:

These black bed rails have an upper piece built in so that the top of the rail lies flat with the top of the rambox. I thinks that’s specifically meant to accommodate the factory tonneau cover.

I think most trucks come with silver rails like the one shown here:

The tops of the silver rails end an inch or two below the top of the bed/rambox.

It seems like most, if not all, of the aftermarket tonneau covers assume you have the silver rails, to which the hardware for the new tonneau cover attachs. I looked at buying silver rails from Mopar, and they cost between $270 and $340, depending on the retailer, so getting a new aftermarket tonneau cover becomes that much more expensive for me.

For those with 1500s with rambox and MFT, can you confirm which type of rails you have? Just curious about this.

More importantly, has anyone with the black rails found a tonneau cover that attaches correctly, either by clamping to the black rails or because the manufacturer provides its own rails?

Thanks much,

Will

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exactly what your saying, silver rails came with trucks w/o factory tonneau. As far as I have seen all aftermarket tonneaus require silver rails.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

omamatt

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a 2020 Laramie with Rambox and MFT. It came with black bed rails like the ones shown in this mopar video:

These black bed rails have an upper piece built in so that the top of the rail lies flat with the top of the rambox. I thinks that’s specifically meant to accommodate the factory tonneau cover.

The tops of the silver rails end an inch or two below the top of the bed/rambox.

It seems like most, if not all, of the aftermarket tonneau covers assume you have the silver rails, to which the hardware for the new tonneau cover attachs. I looked at buying silver rails from Mopar, and they cost between $270 and $340, depending on the retailer, so getting a new aftermarket tonneau cover becomes that much more expensive for me.

For those with 1500s with rambox and MFT, can you confirm which type of rails you have? Just curious about this.

More importantly, has anyone with the black rails found a tonneau cover that attaches correctly, either by clamping to the black rails or because the manufacturer provides its own rails?

Thanks much,

Will
My Limited came w/ the factory tonneau and has the black rails. Looking at alternate tonneau and they all take the silver rails.

Hsmith5

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Thanks much,

Will

My Limited came with the factory tri-fold tonneau cover and of course the black rails. I just ordered a retractable bed cover and some silver rails (hopefully will be delivered this week). I will be selling my factory tri-fold cover if you are interested.

WilburNJ

Reaction score
Exactly what your saying, silver rails came with trucks w/o factory tonneau. As far as I have seen all aftermarket tonneaus require silver rails.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
FYI, I found two tonneau covers that appears to be compatible with the black rails. The diamondback and the American Roll Cover by Truck Covers USA (which is a retractable cover). I'm not sure yet what I will do. I might look for the silver rails at a reasonable price and, if successful, decide on something then.

I had a bakflip in the past and really liked the simplicity of it (using the cable to unlock). I like the fact that you have a pretty secure bed with the tailgate locked, but then can open up the bed easily without any keys by just opening the tailgate and then pulling the cable to open the cover.

The American Roll Cover effectively works the same way because you can unlock the cover the push it open after you've unlocked and opened the tailgate. That's pretty convenient it's and the only retractable cover to allow that, I think. The others seem to require a key to lock and then to unlock the cover, which is a nuisance.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well hell, my gf just bought a Limited with the MFT/rambox option, and also came with the factory tri-fold cover. She has the black rails too. The dealership messed up on her trade-in, so she took the difference in the form of a different bed cover. She's not gonna be happy that she now needs to buy the silver rails so the cover will work on her truck. But I'm glad I saw this thread before trying to install it for her when it comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/