5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black step boards with chrome bumpers and grill?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the mopar power steps and they’ve quit working. Everyone I’ve talked to here in Minnesota says they crap out after a few years. I’m getting regular fixed ones
I have a few friends with Mopar power running boards and none of them have had issues. The motor is replaceable, so even if they do quit working, it's a relatively cheap/easy fix.

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
I have a few friends with Mopar power running boards and none of them have had issues. The motor is replaceable, so even if they do quit working, it's a relatively cheap/easy fix.
I don't know if mine is a motor issue. The boards come out halfway and then say "object detected" and fold back in. Every. single. time. Are your friends northerners? lol

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I don't know if mine is a motor issue. The boards come out halfway and then say "object detected" and fold back in. Every. single. time. Are your friends northerners? lol

You may need to clean and lube the hinges. That's something I plan to do annually.

All of my friends live in North Idaho. I was concerned about the durability of the power running boards in our snowy climate, so I did a bunch of research before I added them to my build. I didn't find many threads on this forum or other Ram forums about them being unreliable.

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
You may need to clean and lube the hinges. That's something I plan to do annually.

All of my friends live in North Idaho. I was concerned about the durability of the power running boards in our snowy climate, so I did a bunch of research before I added them to my build. I didn't find many threads on this forum or other Ram forums about them being unreliable.
Got it, that makes sense. Stupid question, but what do you use to lube the hinges? Anything specific?

Only reason I mentioned the thing in the north is I've had a few different mechanics up here tell me that they tend to crap out with all the snow/ice/salt. Who knows though, it's all anecdotal!

PDiddy

Reaction score
I was debating going chrome rims and steps, but I need up doing matte black. I’m happy with the results. Black vehicles and chrome are not my thing, but I like the look of them together. It still makes it a little tricky deciding what finish to go with on accessories.

Attachments

• 5405A80B-BB0D-45A3-98F6-AB2666C5B2EC.jpeg
    5405A80B-BB0D-45A3-98F6-AB2666C5B2EC.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 8790342F-1AF8-420D-B979-F528E5D39B84.jpeg
    8790342F-1AF8-420D-B979-F528E5D39B84.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 36

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Got it, that makes sense. Stupid question, but what do you use to lube the hinges? Anything specific?

Only reason I mentioned the thing in the north is I've had a few different mechanics up here tell me that they tend to crap out with all the snow/ice/salt. Who knows though, it's all anecdotal!

I'm using this. I already have it in my garage and works great on parts that are susceptible to dirt build up. It goes on wet but dries in seconds, so it doesn't attract dirt. You don't need to use this brand. Any dry moly lube will work.

We're not as cold a Minnesota, but we get a bunch of snow and the DOT applies a lot of salt to our roads. I constantly wash the underside of my truck to keep the salt from causing any damage. Also, turn off the power running boards if you have a lot of ice buildup under your truck.

Last edited:

Kaiser81

Reaction score
I think I'm leaning towards the mopar matte black. They seem to hang close to the body and the board itself doesn't seem to thick. Just haven't seen them on a truck with chrome bumpers and grill

Accessory.Parts

Reaction score
I think I'm leaning towards the mopar matte black. They seem to hang close to the body and the board itself doesn't seem to thick. Just haven't seen them on a truck with chrome bumpers and grill
I looked all over, can't find the Mopar Matte Black running boards on a truck with Chrome bumpers and grille unfortunately either. If you decide to go ahead and pull the trigger, I have 4 of them in stock ready to ship out. Link and a Promo Code below for ya!

Use Code: RAMFORUM

Users who are viewing this thread