5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black plastic/vinyl cleaner, preservative, restorer? Interior AND exterior.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Folks,

With all the new cleaning products out there (ceramics, graphene, to name two), have there been any similar advances in cleaning exterior plastics?

I think there's gotta be something better than Armor-All out there... Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Ken

tidefan1967

Reaction score
The best restorer that I’ve used so far is Cerakote but you better make sure you clean it well before applying and definitely wear gloves. It leaves a hard baked shiny appearance that supposed to last for 200 washes.

Reactions: c3k

Nels

Reaction score
For black plastic parts, in the past i have used a product called Back to Black. It does a decent job of restoring from a lighter dull black (almost gray) to the original deeper black.

Timbow

Reaction score
For exterior black plastic the best thing you can use is Flood Penetrol, which is a paint container. Wipe it on and let it sit for 5 mins and then wipe off the excess. Leaves no residue and lasts for 6 months. It’s pretty popular with the Jeep community for reconditioning the black fenders. It works amazingly well.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have found these 2 products to be good - my main goal is UV protection on the plastics. Meguiars is a bit higher shine and can be too much sometimes - aerospace 303 is more subtle but great at restoring faded plastic.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've been pleased so far with DDE from DuraCoat. It cleans better that Armor All leaves the black plastic 'blacker', if that makes sense, however it does not leave a shiny surface , nor is greasy to the touch like Armor All. It does leave a slight residue you can feel but not bad at all.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of these products are water based and dissolve over time. I got an email from Autogeek a while back where they promoted a new product that was permanent. I can't locate it on their website, but I bookmarked the product on my personal computer and can get that to you later. I've tried many products and they are all temporary.

Reactions: c3k

Users who are viewing this thread