5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black lugs: which did you buy.???

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I want to get some black lugs for my Rebel but not sure which to get? The cheap ones on Ebay and such, seem like they may be too cheap, and likely to chip? And I don't really want to spend $200 (in Canada FYI) on McGard or Gorilla if I don't have to. If I do, so be it.
I painted my existing ones, which was fine until the dealer destroyed them. Now they look terrible. I know, I know, it was a temp fix.....

Wsmith

Reaction score
I went with McGuard #64074. Top notch quality, half the price of Mopar but more expensive than some. Got them on Amazon for about $130 for 24. Had to buy six packages of four. I didn't want to completely cheap out on something that holds the wheel on.

Last edited:

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5C17CAB2-9D54-40B5-9492-D64FD26A34A2.png
got em from AmericanTrucks.com. They have held up nicely.

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
View attachment 76128
got em from AmericanTrucks.com. They have held up nicely.
Now we're talking! Thanks to you both.

Just looked at the American Trucks site, how do you like the look of them? Some of the customer pics seem to show that they are a lot thinner than the stock ones? Maybe too thin?

Last edited:

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I picked up these Mcgard ones with black locks for $113 on amazon.​

McGard 84640 Black Cone Seat Wheel Installation Kit for 6 Lug Vehicles (M14 x 1.5 Thread Size)​

Malodave

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got mine from Colorlugs.com 23.99 right now. I love them. Go through the car wash multiple times a week and no issues.

Attachments

• 20201108_140339.jpg
    20201108_140339.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20201108_145229.jpg
    20201108_145229.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 95

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got mine from Colorlugs.com 23.99 right now. I love them. Go through the car wash multiple times a week and no issues.
Note... these are caps that work great and save a lot of money and scratch proof

Wsmith

Reaction score

I picked up these Mcgard ones with black locks for $113 on amazon.​

McGard 84640 Black Cone Seat Wheel Installation Kit for 6 Lug Vehicles (M14 x 1.5 Thread Size)​

Malodave
Damn, I didn't see that set when I ordered mine. I paid more without the locks (which I really don't need). Good find.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now we're talking! Thanks to you both.

Just looked at the American Trucks site, how do you like the look of them? Some of the customer pics seem to show that they are a lot thinner than the stock ones? Maybe too thin?

they look pretty close to stock to me. Now, if you buy the acorn ones, those are definitely too thin.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I bought these... 2 sets actually. Currently out of stock so you may need to ask if they'll come back in stock, or find an equivalent.

They are very close to the same size as stock (I think these black lugs are slightly longer). 6,000 miles so far, no real issues. They are not impervious though. You should never use air tools on them. And when removing and torquing by hand, go slow and gently load pressure up to avoid wiggling around. Make sure the lugs and socket are clean. This is the best way to keep them looking nice for the longest amount of time possible. I've installed and rotated tires once so far. A few very minor marks, but the coating hasn't failed yet by any means. Bought 2 sets so I could replace as needed, hopefully not for a couple years.

They are satin black in appearance. Gloss black lugs that are expensive are black chrome/PVD or whatever it's called. They are a bit more durable, but can still fail/rust... I can buy 4 sets of these basic lugs for the price of 1 set of black chrome. Plus I don't like the gloss black lugs. They don't match the Limited wheels (which are actually a glossy, metallic super dark gray).

Rubber lugs caps are an option, but look like **** in my opinion. You can tell they're cheap, and they don't cover the seat of the lug (as shown in the photo above, you can still see the bare metal seat of the lug). You can get lug caps for a few dollars on Amazon/eBay. Plastic lug caps look a little bit better though since they have defined edges/corners and can be matte or glossy.

1BA34D46-C6A5-4645-80A5-953DA027CD83.jpeg

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I bought these... 2 sets actually. Currently out of stock so you may need to ask if they'll come back in stock, or find an equivalent.

They are very close to the same size as stock (I think these black lugs are slightly longer). 6,000 miles so far, no real issues. They are not impervious though. You should never use air tools on them. And when removing and torquing by hand, go slow and gently load pressure up to avoid wiggling around. Make sure the lugs and socket are clean. This is the best way to keep them looking nice for the longest amount of time possible. I've installed and rotated tires once so far. A few very minor marks, but the coating hasn't failed yet by any means. Bought 2 sets so I could replace as needed, hopefully not for a couple years.

They are satin black in appearance. Gloss black lugs that are expensive are black chrome/PVD or whatever it's called. They are a bit more durable, but can still fail/rust... I can buy 4 sets of these basic lugs for the price of 1 set of black chrome. Plus I don't like the gloss black lugs. They don't match the Limited wheels (which are actually a glossy, metallic super dark gray).

Rubber lugs caps are an option, but look like **** in my opinion. You can tell they're cheap, and they don't cover the seat of the lug (as shown in the photo above, you can still see the bare metal seat of the lug). You can get lug caps for a few dollars on Amazon/eBay. Plastic lug caps look a little bit better though since they have defined edges/corners and can be matte or glossy.

View attachment 76195
Were these eBay lug nuts shipped loose in a bag? I've noticed a lot of complaints of scratched paint with similar looking lug nuts on Amazon because they were not packaged individually. The $35 price point is attractive, but not if they get rusty after the first winter. I live in a snowy climate with roads that are salted.

The Mcgard lug nuts are 3 times more expensive but are guaranteed against rusting, so I'm thinking about going that direction.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Never mind. I just discovered that the lug nut holes in my new wheels are too small and deep for a 22mm or 7/8" socket. I'll need to buy a set of splined lug nuts.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Were these eBay lug nuts shipped loose in a bag? I've noticed a lot of complaints of scratched paint with similar looking lug nuts on Amazon because they were not packaged individually. The $35 price point is attractive, but not if they get rusty after the first winter. I live in a snowy climate with roads that are salted.

The Mcgard lug nuts are 3 times more expensive but are guaranteed against rusting, so I'm thinking about going that direction.
Yes, but I had 0 issues with them arriving damaged and I've bought 3 sets. The damage that will occur over time is from installing & removing the lugs. Really just isn't a way around it - I've been careful as can be and still have tiny bits of rust forming on contact spots from the socket.

Not bad at all though, and the rust really wasn't prevalent until winter salt came along. It's only noticeable if you have your face down in the wheels. I don't mind it, and nobody would ever notice it unless they were specifically going down and looking at the lugs. I've had them installed for over a year now. Still look great on my truck... much better than anything else as far as I'm concerned. If/when the rust gets too bad, I'll just replace them.

rd904rd904

Reaction score
Lugs --2022 Black Edition - Limited

I've been researching the McGards and the Mopars. I emailed McGard and they said there are 2 options for the 2022 Aluminum Wheels:
1. You may use part number 64074 (4-Lug Kit) on the OE aluminum wheel for your 2022 RAM. You will need 6 packs of this part number to cover the entire vehicle.
2. you may use wheel lock set 24216 on the OE aluminum wheels. These cannot be used on steel wheels because they will bottom out on the wheel stud and cause them to crack.

Anyone compare McGards vs Mopars up close?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online