5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Friday - Please help with Sub Upgrade

badgerguy22

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading and dreaming of a sub upgrade for more than a year. I've read the forums and try my best to understand, but I am just not savvy on speaker systems, wiring, etc.Nonetheless, it's Black Friday tomorrow and I'm ready to forgo my typical shopping (even a TV upgrade I'd planned for this year) to finally make this upgrade happen. I have '19 Quad Cab Laramie with the 8.4" screen and Alpine 11-speaker system. What I want:

- I'm eyeing either the "2 12" Vented Sub Box" from Fox Acoustics or Frostbite's 2 10" box ( sealed, I think)
- I definitely want JL Audio (so, please don't try to talk me out of it), so I'm thinking about the 10" or 12" TW3--But, perhaps the TW0 or TW1 are just as good...!

1. Do I want 2- or 4-ohm speakers, and does this change if the speakers are "dual voice coils"?
2. I've read the stock (Alpine) sub, feeds the 10"sub AND all the door speakers, so does this need I need a certain amp (i.e, mono, or Class D, or...!?)]
3. Here are the specs for the 12TW3-D4 (12", 4 ohm), so what amp would I need for two of these speakers? Would 1000 watts do?

Continuous Power Handling (RMS)400 W
Recommended Amplifier Power (RMS)200 - 400 W
Nominal Impedance (Znom)

4. The 12TW3-4 calls for .8 (sealed) and .95 (vented) cu ft--is this simply double if you will have two subs in the box? Also, the FoxAcoustics says it has 3.5 cu ft of volume, so is that way, too, much for these speakers?

Clearly, I'm lost. I assure you I've tried several times to learn this stuff, but I just cannot process it. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

sppb32

Reaction score
I doubt you can fit dual 12" ported under the rear seat of a quad cab, I'm building my own box for a 2 10" and even though I grabbed most the space available I could only get 2.025sf, not even enough to port.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

ScottChurch

Reaction score
I can do my best to answer some of your questions, hopefully it’s not too late and you can still score a deal.

1. You will want to order the ohms of speakers that match whatever amp you’re going to be using. For example if you find an amp that makes 1,000 watts at 1 ohm and you’re using two subs that can take 500 watts each then you could do two 4 ohm dual voice coil subs or two 2 ohm single voice coil subs. These can both be wired down to 1 ohm.

2. I don’t have the alpine system so I can’t help you with the integration. But if you plan on using the amp to only power your subs then you’ll want a mono amp typically class D.

3. I would get an 800 watt rms amp for your speakers. I wouldn’t recommend overpowering speakers.

4. Yes, double the amounts for 2 subs. Are you sure they have a box that gets 3.5 cu ft for a quad cab? That seems large. If that’s true then I would say the box is too large for the speakers, it doesn’t mean it won’t work but it’s not ideal.

sppb32

Reaction score
First you need this: Amazon.com: PAC AP4-CH41 AmpPRO Car Stereo Advanced Amplifier Installation Audio Interface: Car Electronics
Then you should get a 5 channel amplifier like this one: Amazon.com: Pioneer GM-D9705 2000 Watts Class-D 5-Channel Amplifier with Wired Bass Boost Remote + Wire Kit: Electronics
The box is a little more complicated, i couldn't find anything decent for my quad cab besides Fox Acoustics but i had a bad experience with them so i'm building my own for 2 10" American Bass XR 10d4 to replace the single 12 Sundown Audio SD4 d2
JL Audio...i know you are set on them and they are nice...but you can get so much better for the money... just saying!
The speakers, door 6x9: sDIAMOND AUDIO D69V 6"x 9" 4Ω 140W / 70W RMS 2-WAY COAXIAL SPEAKER 847169020605 | eBay
Dash 3.5: JBL GTO329 Grand Touring Series 150 Watt 3.5" 2-Way Coaxial Car Speakers 3-1/2" 50036313858 | eBay (that's what i have)

Attachments

• 20201122_111025.jpg
    20201122_111025.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200715_174311.jpg
    20200715_174311.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 63

badgerguy22

Reaction score
I doubt you can fit dual 12" ported under the rear seat of a quad cab, I'm building my own box for a 2 10" and even though I grabbed most the space available I could only get 2.025sf, not even enough to port.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply--I have a crew cab. My last two trucks were Silverado "Extended Cab," so I still have to think twice when choosing between crew and quad.

Good luck on your project!

badgerguy22

Reaction score
I can do my best to answer some of your questions, hopefully it’s not too late and you can still score a deal.

1. You will want to order the ohms of speakers that match whatever amp you’re going to be using. For example if you find an amp that makes 1,000 watts at 1 ohm and you’re using two subs that can take 500 watts each then you could do two 4 ohm dual voice coil subs or two 2 ohm single voice coil subs. These can both be wired down to 1 ohm.

2. I don’t have the alpine system so I can’t help you with the integration. But if you plan on using the amp to only power your subs then you’ll want a mono amp typically class D.

3. I would get an 800 watt rms amp for your speakers. I wouldn’t recommend overpowering speakers.

4. Yes, double the amounts for 2 subs. Are you sure they have a box that gets 3.5 cu ft for a quad cab? That seems large. If that’s true then I would say the box is too large for the speakers, it doesn’t mean it won’t work but it’s not ideal.

Thank you a ton for taking the time to respond. This certainly helps and I will be sorting through it and trying to find a Cyber Monday deal. I appreciate the assistance!

badgerguy22

Reaction score
First you need this: Amazon.com: PAC AP4-CH41 AmpPRO Car Stereo Advanced Amplifier Installation Audio Interface: Car Electronics
Then you should get a 5 channel amplifier like this one: Amazon.com: Pioneer GM-D9705 2000 Watts Class-D 5-Channel Amplifier with Wired Bass Boost Remote + Wire Kit: Electronics
The box is a little more complicated, i couldn't find anything decent for my quad cab besides Fox Acoustics but i had a bad experience with them so i'm building my own for 2 10" American Bass XR 10d4 to replace the single 12 Sundown Audio SD4 d2
JL Audio...i know you are set on them and they are nice...but you can get so much better for the money... just saying!
The speakers, door 6x9: sDIAMOND AUDIO D69V 6"x 9" 4Ω 140W / 70W RMS 2-WAY COAXIAL SPEAKER 847169020605 | eBay
Dash 3.5: JBL GTO329 Grand Touring Series 150 Watt 3.5" 2-Way Coaxial Car Speakers 3-1/2" 50036313858 | eBay (that's what i have)

That box is looking good! I'm jealous of your skills.

THe 5-channel amp is what I was thinking I might need. I replaced the dash and rear door speakers last year, but I will check out the Diamond Audio for the front ones.

Thanks again for the reply and the links. Taught myself how to invest in the stock market a few years back, but I just cannot wrap my head around the audio stuff for my truck.

ScottChurch

Reaction score
Thank you a ton for taking the time to respond. This certainly helps and I will be sorting through it and trying to find a Cyber Monday deal. I appreciate the assistance!
Of course, glad to help. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I saw the discussion of the 5 channel amp, just know that that’s only needed if you wish to amplify your doors speakers. You then would want to make sure you get an amp that supplies the correct RMS power not only to your door speakers, but to your subs as well. I think you’re going to be hard pressed to find a 5 channel amp that will supply your 800 watts to the subs though (without breaking the bank).

Last edited:

sppb32

Reaction score
Of course, glad to help. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I saw the discussion of the 5 channel amp, just know that that’s only needed if you wish to amplify your doors speakers. You then would want to make sure you get an amp that supplies the correct RMS power not only to your door speakers, but to your subs as well. I think you’re going to be hard pressed to find a 5 channel amp that will supply your 800 watts to the subs though (without breaking the bank).
There's a few great small size 5 channels amplifiers, Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, maybe not 800W on the sub side but 600w ain't bad
(1) Five Channel Budget Amps by Kenwood and Pioneer 4K UHD - YouTube

805myth1

Reaction score
There's a few great small size 5 channels amplifiers, Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, maybe not 800W on the sub side but 600w ain't bad
(1) Five Channel Budget Amps by Kenwood and Pioneer 4K UHD - YouTube

I recently purchased 2 of the Massive Audio EX5, 5 channel amp. At 1 ohm it's rated for 800 watts rms. I have yet to install them so I cannot say that it is as advertised. But he's the link, was the cheapest I could find. Also there is an additional 10% off on sale price.

805myth1

Reaction score
I got my new Skar Audio SVR-10D2's in earlier today, $192 for the pair. Going to connect one to each EX5 amp at 1 ohm each for a total of 1600 rms wattage (rated). It's gonna be a while till I installed everything, I'm going to make my own box.

Attachments

• 20201130_145516.jpg
    20201130_145516.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 15

Mark O

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading and dreaming of a sub upgrade for more than a year. I've read the forums and try my best to understand, but I am just not savvy on speaker systems, wiring, etc.Nonetheless, it's Black Friday tomorrow and I'm ready to forgo my typical shopping (even a TV upgrade I'd planned for this year) to finally make this upgrade happen. I have '19 Quad Cab Laramie with the 8.4" screen and Alpine 11-speaker system. What I want:

- I'm eyeing either the "2 12" Vented Sub Box" from Fox Acoustics or Frostbite's 2 10" box ( sealed, I think)
- I definitely want JL Audio (so, please don't try to talk me out of it), so I'm thinking about the 10" or 12" TW3--But, perhaps the TW0 or TW1 are just as good...!

1. Do I want 2- or 4-ohm speakers, and does this change if the speakers are "dual voice coils"?
2. I've read the stock (Alpine) sub, feeds the 10"sub AND all the door speakers, so does this need I need a certain amp (i.e, mono, or Class D, or...!?)]
3. Here are the specs for the 12TW3-D4 (12", 4 ohm), so what amp would I need for two of these speakers? Would 1000 watts do?

Continuous Power Handling (RMS)400 W
Recommended Amplifier Power (RMS)200 - 400 W
Nominal Impedance (Znom)

4. The 12TW3-4 calls for .8 (sealed) and .95 (vented) cu ft--is this simply double if you will have two subs in the box? Also, the FoxAcoustics says it has 3.5 cu ft of volume, so is that way, too, much for these speakers?

Clearly, I'm lost. I assure you I've tried several times to learn this stuff, but I just cannot process it. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
JL Audio Stealth Box. I just picked up my 2019 RAM last Friday and am trying to research and put a system together now. This is custom made for this vehicle. I’ve had JL Stealth subs and Amps in 3 of my last 4 vehicles and plan on using them in this new RAM. I guarantee that if you are willing to spend the money on JL Audio you will be extremely happy with them. Arguably the best you can get. You won’t be disappointed. I’m planning on using JL Audio on all components to replace the Harmon Kardon system

badgerguy22

Reaction score
JL Audio Stealth Box. I just picked up my 2019 RAM last Friday and am trying to research and put a system together now. This is custom made for this vehicle. I’ve had JL Stealth subs and Amps in 3 of my last 4 vehicles and plan on using them in this new RAM. I guarantee that if you are willing to spend the money on JL Audio you will be extremely happy with them. Arguably the best you can get. You won’t be disappointed. I’m planning on using JL Audio on all components to replace the Harmon Kardon system

I saw the stealthbox... which brings up another question... this one and others say “. Fits 1500 Crew Cab with fixed (non-reclining) rear seat.” So will the stealth box flat out not work with the 3” reclining seats? Or can you still o stall it and then just can’t/don’t use the recline feature?
What amp are you using? Would love to stay updated on your project...

Mark O

Reaction score
I saw the stealthbox... which brings up another question... this one and others say “. Fits 1500 Crew Cab with fixed (non-reclining) rear seat.” So will the stealth box flat out not work with the 3” reclining seats? Or can you still o stall it and then just can’t/don’t use the recline feature?
There are a couple options on the stealth box if you have it professionally installed they will help guide you regarding the amps I’m sticking strictly with JL Audio as that’s all I have had for the past 2 decades they still kick ***.

for the stealth sub

Then planning on the 8 channel for the doors and then the 6 channel to handle dash and rear ceiling speakers

sppb32

Reaction score
I got my new Skar Audio SVR-10D2's in earlier today, $192 for the pair. Going to connect one to each EX5 amp at 1 ohm each for a total of 1600 rms wattage (rated). It's gonna be a while till I installed everything, I'm going to make my own box.
I built a box for my cousins Jeep with one SVR-10D2 and sounded awesome on a Pioneer 5 channel amp

Attachments

• 20190625_180809.jpg
    20190625_180809.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 19

805myth1

Reaction score
I built a box for my cousins Jeep with one SVR-10D2 and sounded awesome on a Pioneer 5 channel amp

That's what they are gonna get connected to 1st, Pioneer GM-D9705, to break them in a lil

Users who are viewing this thread