5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black cargo rails vs Silver cargo rails

Jester

Reaction score
I’m being told that I can’t use aftermarket tonneau covers because I have the black cargo rails, not the silver ones. Can the silver ones be ordered and swapped out? I don’t like how the soft tonneau cover that came with the truck sits so high off the bed. I want it to be flush across.

aametzger

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I ordered a backflip mx4 and they couldn't install it because it needed the silver rails. For the pair of silver rails, it's close to $400. They can be ordered, but by the time you order rails it becomes an expensive venture. I too dont like how high it sits. it used to bug me more when I first got it, but for now, I have accepted it.

The part numbers are at the end of this thread https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...ived-installation-hints-tips.7317/post-196573

john94si

Reaction score
I’m being told that I can’t use aftermarket tonneau covers because I have the black cargo rails, not the silver ones. Can the silver ones be ordered and swapped out? I don’t like how the soft tonneau cover that came with the truck sits so high off the bed. I want it to be flush across.
Do you have a picture to share?

Natural

Reaction score
I have black cargo rails on my 19 Longhorn. There’s not a tonneau cover out there, that says Ram Box with Black Rails.

Last edited:

Natural

Reaction score
Only the crappy one from Mopar will work with the black rail system.
I spent a significant amount of time this morning, explaining to a dealer parts manager, how he could figure out if the Gen 5 with Ram Boxes, would use the same box rails as a Gen 4 with Ram Boxes? It got so bad that I looked it up for him and explained the research procedure. Yikes!!!

Geobound

Reaction score
I spent a significant amount of time this morning, explaining to a dealer parts manager, how he could figure out if the Gen 5 with Ram Boxes, would use the same box rails as a Gen 4 with Ram Boxes? It got so bad that I looked it up for him and explained the research procedure. Yikes!!!

Funny I had to explain it to my parts counter guy too, and then when he did finally get it he wanted to charge me $300.00 CDN per rail!! So I had to go to another dealership and do the explanation thing all over again, and he was only going to charge me $230.00. Dealer number 3 had no idea what I was talking about, but I gave him the part number and he gave me just under $200.00/ea.

The downside is I ordered them 3 weeks ago, and they are still 2 weeks away from getting here!

Natural

Reaction score
Funny I had to explain it to my parts counter guy too, and then when he did finally get it he wanted to charge me $300.00 CDN per rail!! So I had to go to another dealership and do the explanation thing all over again, and he was only going to charge me $230.00. Dealer number 3 had no idea what I was talking about, but I gave him the part number and he gave me just under $200.00/ea.

The downside is I ordered them 3 weeks ago, and they are still 2 weeks away from getting here!
I finally convinced the “Experts”, that if the part numbers for the rails w/Ramboxes for the 2019 Gen 5, was the same part number for the 2015 Gen 4, then the rails would fit both trucks. After that, I convinced them to let me have the silver rails from my trade in.
I know if you can sell anything on this great forum, but I can’t find anything that specifies either way.
I have a BakFlip from my 2015 Laramie and a brand new, factory soft cover with the black box rails that I removed from my new truck, when I brought it home from the dealership. That’s why I need the silver rails. Want to put a Retrax on the bed and the black rails are specifically for the soft factory cover.

Kozmo714

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram with the black rails and I want to trade for the silver ones. Anyone interested. I know the black ones are more expensive but I just need the silver to install a cover I bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online