5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilsteins and tires

bryan28

Reaction score
Had Bilsteins put on todsy set at level 5 (1.7") and added Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s 275/60R20.

The mechanic swears he put the Bilsteins on correctly. They had instructions in the box he said he used.

We measured all 4 corners andcall were at 39" from the ground to the bottom of the fender well. I was hoping for a little rake. I should've, but didn't, take before measurements.

If I have a tire removed would I be able to see if the cap (for lack of better word for it) is upside down? I will say that the truck rides much smoother than with the stock tires.

It doesn't look bad IMO opinion but I do tow a boat so wanted a small amount of rake. If it is on correctly I will leave it. Otherwise, I will have him redo them.

Attachments

• 20201023_113930.jpg
    20201023_113930.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 164

CJR28

Reaction score
I had the Bilsteins installed yesterday with the front 5100s set on #4 and the 5160s in the rear and it left me with about a 1/2 of rake maybe a bit less. Ive heard some on heres’ actual gains are more than whats listed on the intructions so they probably were installed right but it doesnt hurt to double check. Also they can settle after a couple of hundred miles a bit. Do you have the ORP?
My BTS on setting #4
6E0B3B07-AE47-4DC7-B7A2-9540C4A28BCC.jpeg

CJR28

Reaction score
Your truck might need time to settle a bit. Ill take measurements for you once i get my truck on a flat surface. I almost considered going with 5 but I was worried about the nose high look

bryan28

Reaction score
Mine doesn't look high but it is dead level. I only tow a 3k lb boat so it shouldn't squat much. I was hoping for an inch or so of rake.

CJR28

Reaction score
I would say setting 4 is your best bet than or you could order the rear ORP springs, they will give you a inch in the rear

bryan28

Reaction score
I'd feel bad about having him tear it apart to do it again since I set the rings. And I'd hate to have to pay for it again.

KRField

Reaction score
I'd feel bad about having him tear it apart to do it again since I set the rings. And I'd hate to have to pay for it again.

You could always put a set of airlift 1000hd bags in the rear they are inexpensive and can be installed with out pulling anything off. If you don’t have the bed utility group you can run the air line out where the rivnut hole is by the tailgate. When you tow the boat add a little air to keep it level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Mine doesn't look high but it is dead level. I only tow a 3k lb boat so it shouldn't squat much. I was hoping for an inch or so of rake.
That's 300lbs tongue? That's almost a full inch down on stock springs. Put the airbag 1000 kit as suggested in the back and keep them pumped at 5psi when not loaded . They should keep the butt up where is at right now with your boat hitched up to the back of the truck at about 30-35psi.

bryan28

Reaction score
I appreciate all the advice. I think I'm going to end up having them redo it and lower the ring one notch. I don't want the rear end any higher.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's 300lbs tongue? That's almost a full inch down on stock springs. Put the airbag 1000 kit as suggested in the back and keep them pumped at 5psi when not loaded . They should keep the butt up where is at right now with your boat hitched up to the back of the truck at about 30-35psi.
Boat trailers arent set up at a 10% tongue weight, 5% is more common, so he’d only have 150 lbs of tongue weight.

bryan28

Reaction score
Boat trailers arent set up at a 10% tongue weight, 5% is more common, so he’d only have 150 lbs of tongue weight.
Yeah most the weight is on the back of the boat.

Last edited:

bryan28

Reaction score
So i took measurements again today and this is what i got. On drivers side the rear is 39.5 and front 38.5 (which I like). On passesnger side both are right at 39. Is this normal? I'm going to take it to a shop Thursday morning and was planning on them taking the struts down one ring but now I'm confused and a little worried about the goofy measurements. They want to look at it and give me their advice. Any ideas?

Phlipnstik

Reaction score
My truck sits that way as well. My left sits 1/2 lower than my right side and front to back is different on both sides. Thought I would get that worked out after installing new Bilstein 5100 in the front and rear icon springs and 5160 shocks but nope. Truck still leaning

CJR28

Reaction score
My truck sits that way as well. My left sits 1/2 lower than my right side and front to back is different on both sides. Thought I would get that worked out after installing new Bilstein 5100 in the front and rear icon springs and 5160 shocks but nope. Truck still leaning
How do you like the icon rear springs?

Phlipnstik

Reaction score
So far so good, no complaints. My only issue is it’s nose high. Icons supposed to raise it 1.5 inches and I added a half inch rear spacer. So.... 2 inches right?? Then I set Bilstein 5100 at #5 (1.7”) and added a 2” Tuff Country Top hat (actual height 1.75”) so 3.45” in the front right? Front sits 1” higher than the rear. Rear fender to floor is 41”, front fender is 42” to the floor. Put a level across the window line and it’s dead nuts level, put a level on the actual frame and it’s very slightly nose high but I believe the front fender is actually a little taller than the rear when stock. I’m pulling my hair out trying to decide if I want to tear it all apart to drop it to #4 or wait and see if these struts settle..... grrrrrrrr

Attachments

• BFCE8038-B49E-4B4F-915F-31A2B97DA0F1.jpeg
    BFCE8038-B49E-4B4F-915F-31A2B97DA0F1.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 51

mr.fusion

Reaction score
Get rid of the tuff country spacer? Then go up a notch on the 5100 if you really have to. Seems like that would fix everything... but then I like a little rake better than nose high or dead nuts level. ;)

CJR28

Reaction score
So far so good, no complaints. My only issue is it’s nose high. Icons supposed to raise it 1.5 inches and I added a half inch rear spacer. So.... 2 inches right?? Then I set Bilstein 5100 at #5 (1.7”) and added a 2” Tuff Country Top hat (actual height 1.75”) so 3.45” in the front right? Front sits 1” higher than the rear. Rear fender to floor is 41”, front fender is 42” to the floor. Put a level across the window line and it’s dead nuts level, put a level on the actual frame and it’s very slightly nose high but I believe the front fender is actually a little taller than the rear when stock. I’m pulling my hair out trying to decide if I want to tear it all apart to drop it to #4 or wait and see if these struts settle..... grrrrrrrr
Thats definitely a bit odd. I have noticed that the Bilsteins tend to give more lift than expected in some cases. I have mine on #4 and am pretty much dead level(No ORP springs yet). Now i am torn whether or not to have the dealer move down to setting #3 when they install my ORP springs. I might just wait until I install the 6112s. Ive read that setting 4 does give you a better ride in your case, it would just be a PITA to tear it all apart again

Users who are viewing this thread