5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein Adjustable Struts or FabTech 2” Leveling Kit?

EJanx07

Reaction score
Which option would you choose? I have a 19’ Lone Star Crew Cab with the ORP.
I’m not gonna be doing much off-roading in this truck, just want it to sit level. ride and handle as close to factory, as I can keep it.

I see a lot of guys on here, are just using 2” strut spacers (brands and preferences seem to vary), but I’m wondering if:
When only adding 2” leveling spacers (pucks), does this make their trucks ride rougher? Is there any clunking or popping sounds happening when rolling over bumps?

I also see others on here, adding 2” spacers, and also replacing the UCA’s, but after doing all this, your well over $1,000 just for that.

So, which option would you Choose? Or which one have you done to your truck?
- Option #1:
My local dealership, will order and install the 2” FabTech Leveling Kit (bolted pucks only), plus alignment for ($399.00 + tax total) $420’ish?
-I think the kit is just over $105... I’m not 100% on that, and the rest is for the realignment.
- Option #2:
I can outright by the Bilstein B8 5100 Adjustable struts (fronts) on Amazon for $205 shipped, and this dealership will charge $240 for the install and alignment. ($445 total).
- Option #3: NO THANKS!
The dealership I actually bought my truck from, said that if you install a 2” level kit, you have to replace the UCA’s also. Quoted me $1,400! REDICULOUS
Thanks for your advice!

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Which option would you choose? I have a 19’ Lone Star Crew Cab with the ORP.
I’m not gonna be doing much off-roading in this truck, just want it to sit level. ride and handle as close to factory, as I can keep it.

I see a lot of guys on here, are just using 2” strut spacers (brands and preferences seem to vary), but I’m wondering if:
When only adding 2” leveling spacers (pucks), does this make their trucks ride rougher? Is there any clunking or popping sounds happening when rolling over bumps?

I also see others on here, adding 2” spacers, and also replacing the UCA’s, but after doing all this, your well over $1,000 just for that.

So, which option would you Choose? Or which one have you done to your truck?
- Option #1:
My local dealership, will order and install the 2” FabTech Leveling Kit (bolted pucks only), plus alignment for ($399.00 + tax total) $420’ish?
-I think the kit is just over $105... I’m not 100% on that, and the rest is for the realignment.
- Option #2:
I can outright by the Bilstein B8 5100 Adjustable struts (fronts) on Amazon for $205 shipped, and this dealership will charge $240 for the install and alignment. ($445 total).
- Option #3: NO THANKS!
The dealership I actually bought my truck from, said that if you install a 2” level kit, you have to replace the UCA’s also. Quoted me $1,400! REDICULOUS
Thanks for your advice!
Theres a Bilstein for the 2019 available?

RichT

Reaction score
You are already 1" over stock with the ORP, so going to 3" is what makes you need the UCA's.

Bilstein does not list an adjustable shock that works for us yet.

EJanx07

Reaction score
Theres a Bilstein for the 2019 available?
Yes, from what I’ve seen/read, the 19’ Rebels actually come out the factory with them.
According to specs I’ve read on here, the struts/shocks assemblies are still the same between the 2018 & 2019’s. (But I’m no expert or mechanic)
But yes, I verified with my local dealership (accessories department), that the Bilstein B8 5100’s, will fit perfectly in the 2019’s with or without a lift. The specs on these per Bilstein, state they will/can adjust height from 0”-2.75”. Which is perfect for my needed front 2” level.

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
You are already 1" over stock with the ORP, so going to 3" is what makes you need the UCA's.

Bilstein does not list an adjustable shock that works for us yet.

So if you are removing the Factory part that gives you a 1" lift with the ORP and replace it with the Bilstien which will give you up to 2.75" how do you get 3" lift ?

That would be great if the 18 Bilstein's work on our 19's I have been waiting for them to come out so I can level my Truck.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if you are removing the Factory part that gives you a 1" lift with the ORP and replace it with the Bilstien which will give you up to 2.75" how do you get 3" lift ?

That would be great if the 18 Bilstein's work on our 19's I have been waiting for the to come out so I can level my Truck.
I know...I might just pull the trigger on the Readylift 3.5...

RichT

Reaction score

That would be great if the 18 Bilstein's work on our 19's I have been waiting for them to come out so I can level my Truck.

I was referring to the spacer lift. If there is a Bilstein, I'm all ears, but I would have thought I would have read others here doing it already, which I have not. Everything I've read says not available yet.

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
I was referring to the spacer lift. If there is a Bilstein, I'm all ears, but I would have thought I would have read others here doing it already, which I have not. Everything I've read says not available yet.
RichT You we're actually correct in both instances, bilstien and spacer. The lift from the ORP is from a longer spring in the front not the spring perch being moved up an inch. Just read the 4x4 ORP thread where it is laid out with part numbers on page 4.

EJanx07

Reaction score

RichT You we're actually correct in both instances, bilstien and spacer. The lift from the ORP is from a longer spring in the front not the spring perch being moved up an inch. Just read the 4x4 ORP thread where it is laid out with part numbers on page 4.

Sounds like, I may have received false info from the dealer...?
So...my only real option, is to go with spacers, to level my truck 2” at this point in time?

EStein

Reaction score
Yes, from what I’ve seen/read, the 19’ Rebels actually come out the factory with them.
According to specs I’ve read on here, the struts/shocks assemblies are still the same between the 2018 & 2019’s. (But I’m no expert or mechanic)
But yes, I verified with my local dealership (accessories department), that the Bilstein B8 5100’s, will fit perfectly in the 2019’s with or without a lift. The specs on these per Bilstein, state they will/can adjust height from 0”-2.75”. Which is perfect for my needed front 2” level.

That’s interesting to hear. I emailed Bilstein last month and they said shocks wouldn’t be available till late 2019. I guess they won’t “officially” be available...

I’m going with the Bilstein over the spacers. No reason. Just think they’re cool.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s interesting to hear. I emailed Bilstein last month and they said shocks wouldn’t be available till late 2019. I guess they won’t “officially” be available...

I’m going with the Bilstein over the spacers. No reason. Just think they’re cool.
They are different struts. The ones on the Rebel are only 1" longer and non adjustable. The 5100s are not available yet and are what would be used to level.

EJanx07

Reaction score
This has been driving me crazy. So, it looks like Real Truck.com is selling the Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Struts, that fit our 2019 Rams. I entered my exact truck (as close as possible, and it’s not the 2019 Classic, but the all-new body style), and these still popped up as “fits”.

Am I missing something?
I’m no mechanic honestly, and I have to depend on others knowledge.

All of you have been really helpful with my questions, and hopefully I found some good news for everyone, that’s interested in Bilsteins to level our new Rams!

Have you guys seen these?

I think this is what my dealerships accessories department guy, was talking about, when I asked which would be better for leveling my Big Horn/Lone Star w/ ORP.

Hopefully you guys can help me verify that these Bilstein’s, truly fit our trucks!

Attachments

• 5743A02C-D21C-4557-A633-C84E02B92267.png
    5743A02C-D21C-4557-A633-C84E02B92267.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DF141DB6-8364-4F86-9DA3-84E5BA6F377E.png
    DF141DB6-8364-4F86-9DA3-84E5BA6F377E.png
    225 KB · Views: 51

rsonedecker

Reaction score
I've talked to Rancho and Bilstein a few times now. Rancho said they'll have something very soon, and Bilstein said last quarter of 2019, so I'm guessing that's an error on their site. I'm an aggressive researcher, but I have found that you have to call (or email) these companies to get the info correct for the 2019. Also, having done a lot of comparing lately, the 2018 (and previous years) front shocks are "shorter" and the spring perch is lower than the 2019. The 2018 Bilsteins might "bolt up", but my guess is you're not going to get much lift at all from it because the perch adjustment is based on the lower 2018 location.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has been driving me crazy. So, it looks like Real Truck.com is selling the Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Struts, that fit our 2019 Rams. I entered my exact truck (as close as possible, and it’s not the 2019 Classic, but the all-new body style), and these still popped up as “fits”.

Am I missing something?
I’m no mechanic honestly, and I have to depend on others knowledge.

All of you have been really helpful with my questions, and hopefully I found some good news for everyone, that’s interested in Bilsteins to level our new Rams!

Have you guys seen these?

I think this is what my dealerships accessories department guy, was talking about, when I asked which would be better for leveling my Big Horn/Lone Star w/ ORP.

Hopefully you guys can help me verify that these Bilstein’s, truly fit our trucks!
Look at product options on the page from your first picture. It says Classic (w/ 5-lug wheels)

They don't differentiate Classic from the new bodies very well until you get into the items actual page and select there.

Users who are viewing this thread