5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 6112 Question

jellis466

Reaction score
Im planning on putting Bilstein 6112's on my 2021 RAM 1500 Lonestar Sport 4x4, and am wondering if I need to upgrade the rear spring/shocks as well? I am also planning on getting new control arms, most likely from Icon or the new Bilstein B8 tubular control arms if they come out for RAM trucks soon. Looking to set the 6112's at the highest setting to achieve maximum clearance.
Thanks in advance for the input!

cervelo15

Reaction score
Im planning on putting Bilstein 6112's on my 2021 RAM 1500 Lonestar Sport 4x4, and am wondering if I need to upgrade the rear spring/shocks as well? I am also planning on getting new control arms, most likely from Icon or the new Bilstein B8 tubular control arms if they come out for RAM trucks soon. Looking to set the 6112's at the highest setting to achieve maximum clearance.
Thanks in advance for the input!
I don't think you need to replace the springs, unless you're looking to beef up the rear end for towing/hauling.

I'm no expert, but I think from what I have read on here is if someone is replacing the front struts, they usually replace the rear shocks as well. Sounds like the reason being is because they're tuned to work in concert with each other. Problem being now is shock availability. A lot of places, rears are on backorder depending on which Bilstein model you go with.

I'm glad this question was asked because I've harbored it myself. I have the 6112's in my garage ready to go, but want to upgrade the rears to 5160's. Almost all the places have it on backorder. I also have a set of Icon 1.5" springs for the rear to install when the rear shocks finally are available. I have read these Icon springs help with hauling/towing.

I've pondered the Teraflex kit as well.

mxjunky12

Reaction score
This is my 20' with 6112s, and icon UCAs. I also did Clayton Gladiator springs and Bilstein 5160s in the back. I would say you do not need to do the rear end at all, BUT you will see a slight negative rake for the first few thousand miles (At max lift) until the springs and shocks settle in. Then you will level out. Until you put a couple bags of mulch in the back. Haha

The 6112s ride and drive really nice after about 2000miles on the setup. It was slightly more stiff than stock when we first got it put on but not noticeable now. No complaints from the peanut gallery.

The Clayton springs really help with keeping a positive rake and towing/hauling. I had full dirtbike, trailer SxS and 4 wheeler on the truck with very minimal sag. If that's not a concern then no worries.

This Tire/offset is too big (325/60r20 -44) needed a ton of trimming and an additional 1/2" spacer. Still rubs at full lock in reverse.

Hope that helps. Good luck
4e6f403c7bdfde5f7e29ed459d2fd5ca.jpg
63028f4af504aa2559fb18fb20f6fa34.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: c3k

jellis466

Reaction score
This is my 20' with 6112s, and icon UCAs. I also did Clayton Gladiator springs and Bilstein 5160s in the back. I would say you do not need to do the rear end at all, BUT you will see a slight negative rake for the first few thousand miles (At max lift) until the springs and shocks settle in. Then you will level out. Until you put a couple bags of mulch in the back. Haha

The 6112s ride and drive really nice after about 2000miles on the setup. It was slightly more stiff than stock when we first got it put on but not noticeable now. No complaints from the peanut gallery.

The Clayton springs really help with keeping a positive rake and towing/hauling. I had full dirtbike, trailer SxS and 4 wheeler on the truck with very minimal sag. If that's not a concern then no worries.

This Tire/offset is too big (325/60r20 -44) needed a ton of trimming and an additional 1/2" spacer. Still rubs at full lock in reverse.

Hope that helps. Good luck
4e6f403c7bdfde5f7e29ed459d2fd5ca.jpg
63028f4af504aa2559fb18fb20f6fa34.jpg

That setup is awesome! Shame that it rubs like you said because it looks so good! Thanks for the help.

mxjunky12

Reaction score
Thank you. I like it. The -44 offset with a 12 wide wheel is pretty aggressive. As much as I like the "look" it's not really worth it. 2 rock chips in passenger window ain't great haha.

But also the tires are beyond big. They end up being 35.4" x 12.8". Standard 35x12 with a 10 wide wheel would not be a problem at all.

Last edited:

jellis466

Reaction score
Thank you. I like it. The -44 offset with a 12 wide wheel is pretty aggressive. As much as I like the "look" it's not really worth it. 2 rock chips in passenger window ain't great haha.

But also the tires are beyond big. They end up being 35.4" x 12.8". Standard 35x12 with a 10 wide wheel would not be a problem at all.

Thanks for the input, Im probably gonna go with a 33" or 34"x12.5" on a 17" or 18" wheel

Users who are viewing this thread