5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 6112 installed and now front is higher

Reaction score
I bought Bilstein 6112 awhile back and ordered them preassembled on circlip 8 as my truck was 2.75 different front to rear on my 2022 ram 1500 non org. I installed them yesterday and gained nearly 3.5 inches in the front and is higher. It's looks awful. I'm not sure what to do. I could test them down and move down a clip but I'm afraid it will still be nose high. Everything seems correct. I have not drove it yet

Av1

Reaction score
I bought Bilstein 6112 awhile back and ordered them preassembled on circlip 8 as my truck was 2.75 different front to rear on my 2022 ram 1500 non org. I installed them yesterday and gained nearly 3.5 inches in the front and is higher. It's looks awful. I'm not sure what to do. I could test them down and move down a clip but I'm afraid it will still be nose high. Everything seems correct. I have not drove it yet
Drive it a few miles and see what it settles to before taking it back apart. Clip 8 shouldn't give that much lift.

Did you torque everything with the truck on the ground or in the air?

Reaction score
Drive it a few miles and see what it settles to before taking it back apart. Clip 8 shouldn't give that much lift.

Did you torque everything with the truck on the ground or in the air?
I drove it this morning and seems to have settled some. I'm about 5/8 higher in the front still. I torqued everything down while in the air. I never loosened the lower control. Just tie rod, ucas and upper ball joints.

lapoolboy

Reaction score
I drove it this morning and seems to have settled some. I'm about 5/8 higher in the front still. I torqued everything down while in the air. I never loosened the lower control. Just tie rod, ucas and upper ball joints.
That's probably your problem. You torqued everything while the suspension was at full droop.

Reaction score
So you think I should loosen everything back up on the ground and tighten it up again? I've done several Bilstein levels on my rams and friends of mine and I've never had this problem. I also have never installed 6112s.

lapoolboy

Reaction score
So you think I should loosen everything back up on the ground and tighten it up again? I've done several Bilstein levels on my rams and friends of mine and I've never had this problem. I also have never installed 6112s.
Yes, I would start with that before you disassemble anything.

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of loosing everything up. Typically the bils I've put on before settle after some regular driving. And I still need my alignment.

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Alignment may make a subtle difference in ride height too.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Edit: nevermind, 8 is top clip. I forgot that.

Av1

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of loosing everything up. Typically the bils I've put on before settle after some regular driving. And I still need my alignment.

That may make some difference for you. You really do want to torque everything up as it sits on the ground.

Hopefully torquing on the ground, some driving, and an alignment help.

Reaction score
That may make some difference for you. You really do want to torque everything up as it sits on the ground.

Hopefully torquing on the ground, some driving, and an alignment help.
I have a appointment to get the alignment, tires and speedo correction Tuesday. I loosened everything up and retorqued it on the ground. Only drove it once for maybe five miles. Goes down the road good and doesn't make any sort of popping noises. All that angles look good as far as ball joint and cv shafts. First time I've ever ran into this

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm any chance have you checked the springs used for a P/N? I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
Hmm any chance have you checked the springs used for a P/N? I wonder if that has something to do with it.

I got a hold of Bilstein customer service and they asked for my vin and part numbers sent to me for my truck. They checked all the numbers and vin and everything is correct. I've put maybe 80 miles on the truck in the last couple days and it's settled some more. It's about 3/8 nose high still. After alignment and tires I plan to drive it a lot more to see if they settle. Bilstein said it could take up to a couple months to settle totally out. I ordered one inch rear spacers for if it doesn't though.

Attachments

• PXL_20230226_201533714.jpg
    PXL_20230226_201533714.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 103

lapoolboy

Reaction score
That looks fine...worry less, drive it more. I'm sure no one is going to take a tape measure to your truck in a parking lot somewhere.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah if it doesn’t get any better I would just go spacer in the rear.. much easier to install then dealing with the front.

Users who are viewing this thread