5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
After 10 emails and pics... I had a Bilstein tech stumped today too. In his words: “yeah, something is not right.” Fortunately he was super helpful and between he and my 3rd discussion with a really helpful Ram parts guy (and several hrs of him making calls on my behalf), it turns out I’m right that my truck is NOT a Rebel (obviously), North Country or Off Road Edition. However, it DOES have a heavy duty service group. What’s that mean? Well, the stance is “standard” for a Big Horn (no 1” lift), but it has heavier coil springs all the way around...factory. It also has the upgraded rear diff. At this point, between Bilstein and the Ram dealership parts detective I know I don’t have a major problem. But I do have oddball suspension. There’s no formula to set the 5100s on my truck. Given I’m a tick over 1” higher than the expected setting, I’m going to drop 2 notches and call it good. Hopefully I’ll be around 24” Hub to front fender. I appreciate everyone’s help who’s measured trucks and offered advice. Hopefully the next guy that runs in to this mystery will have an easier time. Thanks all.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After 10 emails and pics... I had a Bilstein tech stumped today too. In his words: “yeah, something is not right.” Fortunately he was super helpful and between he and my 3rd discussion with a really helpful Ram parts guy (and several hrs of him making calls on my behalf), it turns out I’m right that my truck is NOT a Rebel (obviously), North Country or Off Road Edition. However, it DOES have a heavy duty service group. What’s that mean? Well, the stance is “standard” for a Big Horn (no 1” lift), but it has heavier coil springs all the way around...factory. It also has the upgraded rear diff. At this point, between Bilstein and the Ram dealership parts detective I know I don’t have a major problem. But I do have oddball suspension. There’s no formula to set the 5100s on my truck. Given I’m a tick over 1” higher than the expected setting, I’m going to drop 2 notches and call it good. Hopefully I’ll be around 24” Hub to front fender. I appreciate everyone’s help who’s measured trucks and offered advice. Hopefully the next guy that runs in to this mystery will have an easier time. Thanks all.
Interesting, never heard of heavy duty service group option , do you know what they call it on the window sticker?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
I do
Interesting, never heard of heavy duty service group option , do you know what they call it on the window sticker?

I do not. Honestly, what started me down that path was trying to figure out a part # to order rear ORP springs. Then the parts guy says “there are 7 options for each of the 4 corners.” Anyway, he runs the VIN again this afternoon and tells me it’s a “heavy duty” suspension option (stiffer coils). Who knew.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do

I do not. Honestly, what started me down that path was trying to figure out a part # to order rear ORP springs. Then the parts guy says “there are 7 options for each of the 4 corners.” Anyway, he runs the VIN again this afternoon and tells me it’s a “heavy duty” suspension option (stiffer coils). Who knew.
you can run your build sheet with you vin#(just add vin to end of below link)

it tells you everything that went into truck. May not be suspension option but perhaps different springs related to engine option, etorqe??? or tow package?? +

Last edited:

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
I do

If they are just "heavy duty", not longer, and provide no lift over the other non ORP springs(non heavy duty?), I am still not seeing how you would have gained any extra lift.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they are just "heavy duty", not longer, and provide no lift over the other non ORP springs(non heavy duty?), I am still not seeing how you would have gained any extra lift.
That was my thought which made me curious.

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
Yep
That was my thought which made me curious.

Yep, I thought the same thing. It was the Bilstein Tech that verified it as he was consulting with Bilstein engineers: Same spring length, but more preload would result in more lift. Again... who knew???

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Because compressing a higher gauge spring will give you more stored energy therefore provide more downward force on the control arm causing truck to be higher.

Jp306

Reaction score
No concerns that I've seen, but I suppose time will tell....
Bilstein really does their research before releasing their products, so I'm hopeful it'll be okay. I suppose any mods can influence wear and tear. I've been modding Jeeps for years and have always considered the impact on the components in the process. Lucky for me, I have yet to run into issues....and now I've just jinxed myself....
Time will tell indeed. I ended up emailing Bilstein and they got back to me super fast. Basically... : "Our Ram 1500 5100 series shock will never require an aftermarket upper arm. Our 5100 series is the same size shock as the stock unit, using this will not alter your overall geometry the way a spacer kit will".

So here's hoping

Z mann R2

Reaction score
5100 Circlip #5 up front, 1.5” spacers in rear, 1.5” hub centric wheel spacers all the way around. She should have come this way from the factory tbh And yes she’s covered in sand from being high centered in the dunes last night lol

F887ABC2-66A2-4888-9FBF-38C1924188AE.jpeg

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Oh and also the front feels a bit stiffer, #4 would have prolly Felt much better but I’d rather have the height than a smoother ride

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
5100 Circlip #5 up front, 1.5” spacers in rear, 1.5” hub centric wheel spacers all the way around. She should have come this way from the factory tbh And yes she’s covered in sand from being high centered in the dunes last night lol

View attachment 50708
Looks great, can we see a side profile pic!..What rear spacer did you go with and how was the install on it?

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Looks great, can we see a side profile pic!..What rear spacer did you go with and how was the install on it?

The rear spacers are these right here. And using the spring compressors that I used up front what I did was crank one wheel way up, then install the compressors and unbolted lower shock mount and stabilizer bar link and lowered almost to the ground. Spring came right out and puck plopped right in.

7C3927E5-22EF-45DA-8342-1B0A62C34755.jpeg 4C6B0D0E-4922-44BC-A6AE-D7FFDA6414D8.jpeg 6DF353CE-6B6C-437D-A4DD-560649D356BE.jpeg

Hk45

Reaction score
Just got done installing 5100's front and rears on Laramie crew 4x4 ecodiesel non ORP and set them to level 5. Ended up with total 2.25 lift in the front, a little more than 1.7 inches the directions say. That was after driving it for a short time will have to wait and see if it settles down a more. I made sure it was on the 5 slot since there was 2 more slots above it. Tires should have been delivered today but Fedex didn't load them on truck for delivery. Will have to wait till next weekend for tire to be installed. Going with 285/65r20. I did order mopar UCA but will cancel that order since ball joint angle looks just fine.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have ball joint pics at full droop? I’m reading a lot of “ball joint looks fine”, which I’m sure is true at normal position, but the damage would only occur at full droop if there’s a limitation. Curious what they look like in clip position 5.

Z mann R2

Reaction score
You ne
Just got done installing 5100's front and rears on Laramie crew 4x4 ecodiesel non ORP and set them to level 5. Ended up with total 2.25 lift in the front, a little more than 1.7 inches the directions say. That was after driving it for a short time will have to wait and see if it settles down a more. I made sure it was on the 5 slot since there was 2 more slots above it. Tires should have been delivered today but Fedex didn't load them on truck for delivery. Will have to wait till next weekend for tire to be installed. Going with 285/65r20. I did order mopar UCA but will cancel that order since ball joint angle looks just fine.

you need to drive it around a bit and hit some gnarly speed bumps and let em settle in. They’ll drop

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Installed the Bilstein 5100 on the front of my Longhorn. Set them in position 5. I removed the Motofab 2” spacers. I didn’t have time to drive it very much today but should tomorrow.

Kevin O'Leary

Reaction score
Mine had 2.5 lift at #5 and never dropped any lower after riding it for weeks now... which is good.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
With the Bilstein 5100 circlip in position 5 I have 23” from center of wheel to bottom of wheel well flare directly above. It started out at 24” but settled to 23” after driving 70 miles and hitting a few bumps. This is exactly the same height my truck was at with the Motofab 2” leveling spacer (which the spacer actually measures much less than 2”).

Users who are viewing this thread