5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

TangoTango

Reaction score
Got the 5100's installed a few days ago and I'm very happy with the addition. Ride quality is excellent - less floaty bounce over road imperfections and slightly more rigid around looping freeway offramps.

The shocks are set to 5 (1.7"). I have just a hair over 0.5" rake. Any thoughts on larger tire size on the stock 18's are appreciated.

eae945c82d2c17029120d8ac8f5891fc.jpg
6e03f45dadffbdad236c42b5bc6b00dd.jpg
330d381d1e39f0a2d832e2576a2429bf.jpg
eb8290cb8a9560adcc3b0c73b93125f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawlavigne

Reaction score
I want to say Bilstein recommends not going above the #5 setting using the stock UCAs. I believe the angle would have too much stress on them. I'm debating going #4 or #5. 1.7" or 2". Difference of .5 inches or .25. Honestly I think either would make a huge difference and not be a sore sight from rear to front.

hustlinowl

Reaction score
I'm assuming no issues with the wheel and wheel weights clearing the brake caliper with that offset? I know some 18's won't clear the brake caliper or will have issues with the wheel weights hitting the caliper with/close to the factory offset.

You are correct. This isn’t something I was aware of but the shop who install everything did have to work on the passenger front caliper as it was having a very small fitment issue. If I would have went with 20s there would have been no problem.

Maxram

Reaction score
Anyone get these on an ORP truck? How much lift did you get out of them after accounting for the 1in spring?

Reaction score
So I have a new 2020 Rebel 4x4 with that nasty rake. Hate it! Love the ride though. Im, not an off-roader, nor will I need anything crazy, but do enjoy trails and minor hill climbing. I saw bought the RC 2" spacers, but hesitating a bit since I read this. Dont want to mess with the ride "too much" (spring compression) but want the lift for sure. I did this to my 2008 Dodge truck and the spring didn't have the travel and made that clanging noise I hated. HOW can I retain the stock Bilstein's and use the spacers? Or, NOT use them and go a different route? Remember, Im not going crazy in the dirt... Thank you all for some feedback!

Solosnavy

Reaction score
ont
So I have a new 2020 Rebel 4x4 with that nasty rake. Hate it! Love the ride though. Im, not an off-roader, nor will I need anything crazy, but do enjoy trails and minor hill climbing. I saw bought the RC 2" spacers, but hesitating a bit since I read this. Dont want to mess with the ride "too much" (spring compression) but want the lift for sure. I did this to my 2008 Dodge truck and the spring didn't have the travel and made that clanging noise I hated. HOW can I retain the stock Bilstein's and use the spacers? Or, NOT use them and go a different route? Remember, Im not going crazy in the dirt... Thank you all for some feedback!
not sure but if you have any questions about adjustable Bilstien 5100's then this is the thread for you.

bbumsted69

Reaction score
I read the entire thread which cause me some confusion for a bit and had to figure out what some of there acronyms were for, along the way. But I have a coulee questions that are still fuzzy. 19 Laramie non off road. Do I need to change the springs out? I am looking for the best quality ride with no rake. I think I would have to goto setting 6 which means a New UCA, but would that be with the current springs or with the ORP springs? I also do not plan on using a spacer either.

R

Rob5589

In order to retain the factory components, you'll need to run the "top hat" style spacer.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So before I pull the trigger on the 4in BDS kit is there anyway that these Bilsteins can improve the ride quality of my 3.5in Readylift? Its OK for the most part but I would like to improve the ride if at all possible.

Reaction score
I contacted Bilstein via email on their site. They will be coming out with front shocks which will replace the stock shocks in the stock front struts on 2020 Rams (not sure gif they will fit 2019's or trucks with off road package). These will provide an adjustable lift of the front up to 2.75". They won't require any other parts (ie, all other stock parts will be used). They will also have a set of rear shocks with valving to match the front set which will not change the rear ride height. I think they will be labelled B85100, but they don't have part numbers or pricing yet. They say they will be available in Jan-Feb 2020. I got answers to my questions the same day on their website.
Wow, this is exactly what I am looking for. I have a 2020 Rebel. Im assuming it will work on mine as well? I will try Bilstein direct...

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Wow, this is exactly what I am looking for. I have a 2020 Rebel. Im assuming it will work on mine as well? I will try Bilstein direct...
They will not work on the front of your Rebel. The front B5100s do not come with spring seats and you have to reuse the ones from your OEM units. The B5100s are designed to accept the spring seats from non-ORP and ORP shocks. The Rebel spring seats are too big. That is why they are not listed for the Rebel application.
If you can get your hands on an ORP strut/spring then you could use them with the B5100s and sell your OEM Bilsteins.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
You are correct. This isn’t something I was aware of but the shop who install everything did have to work on the passenger front caliper as it was having a very small fitment issue. If I would have went with 20s there would have been no problem.
Do you know what the shop had to do to the caliper to make them fit? I'm assuming grinding some of it down. I really want to run these wheels but don't want to run into major fitment issues.

Ram_Feste

Reaction score
So before I pull the trigger on the 4in BDS kit is there anyway that these Bilsteins can improve the ride quality of my 3.5in Readylift? Its OK for the most part but I would like to improve the ride if at all possible.

Yeah, ditch the spring spacer (the silver part that isn't bolted in that rides under the top hat spacer) from the readylift kit and run the bilsteins at setting 5 like I did and you have 3.5" of lift again and better ride. I have mine set at 5 and use a 2" daystar top hat spacer and happy. But I do need to change out my UCAs (your kit already has those though).

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, ditch the spring spacer (the silver part that isn't bolted in that rides under the top hat spacer) from the readylift kit and run the bilsteins at setting 5 like I did and you have 3.5" of lift again and better ride. I have mine set at 5 and use a 2" daystar top hat spacer and happy. But I do need to change out my UCAs (your kit already has those though).
What about the rear?

Users who are viewing this thread