5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bilstein 5100 to level front end question

Glenn141

Reaction score
on my 2020 laramie sport 4x4 if I use the 5100 to level the front do I need to re align the front end after install?

sep1006

Reaction score
I had the Bilstein 5100's installed and didn't get it re-aligned. On a flat road if you let go of the steering wheel it will drive as straight as can be.

Did I just get lucky or is that not an indication of an aligned front end??

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure, take a chance by not getting a $100 alignment, and take a chance on ruining $800-$1200 worth of tires …. WTF ? … This is a no-brainer ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I had the Bilstein 5100's installed and didn't get it re-aligned. On a flat road if you let go of the steering wheel it will drive as straight as can be.

Your steering will still track straight but your tire wear will be uneven. I made this mistake on a Chevy once and it ruined the tires fairly quickly. Typically, they start wearing on the outside much, much faster.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score

It’s very possible for your truck to drive straight, but I guarantee your alignment is actually off, which will cause your tires to wear weird eventually. When I lifted mine with Bilsteins at setting 5 it drove straight once I adjusted the toe, but when I took turns the tires would screech - indicating my toe was actually off. Once I put the bigger tires on I got it professionally aligned and the toe was wayyy off and it had way too much positive camber as well even though the truck drove straight.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score

All of your specs changed when you changed the height but you won't know by how much (or how far out of tolerance it is) until you get it on a rack to have it checked.

As others have said the truck tracking straight has nothing to do with being within alignment specs, only that the shift was comparable on both sides to maintain a "balance" between the two sides.

sep1006

Reaction score
Well okay then, looks like I need to get my alignment checked.

Thanks for the info guys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread