5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100 rears

hockeyboy

Reaction score
I just put new Bilstein springs, and 5100 shocks in the back of my truck. I can't manage to tighten the nut on the top. The stem doesn't have a flat side to grab with a wrench. Also, the shock doesn't seem to be getting compressed enough. The nylock nut just won't go on far enough to even expose the top of the stem, it just turns the whole stem as soon as the nylon gets to the threads. Anyone have any advice? Thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just put new Bilstein springs, and 5100 shocks in the back of my truck. I can't manage to tighten the nut on the top. The stem doesn't have a flat side to grab with a wrench. Also, the shock doesn't seem to be getting compressed enough. The nylock nut just won't go on far enough to even expose the top of the stem, it just turns the whole stem as soon as the nylon gets to the threads. Anyone have any advice? Thanks
Should be a hex key hole in top of shock stem.

tank3011570

Reaction score
Might be a silly question.. What’s the correct way to install rear shocks only? I jacked up the rear axle but found I had to compress the Bilstein shocks to fit them in. And I can’t find a good way to compress them…

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Might be a silly question.. What’s the correct way to install rear shocks only? I jacked up the rear axle but found I had to compress the Bilstein shocks to fit them in. And I can’t find a good way to compress them…
Jack up truck, put jack stands under frame rails, allow axle to drop

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately best approach is leaving the strap on them it comes with until after install.

But at this point maybe a ratchet strap around it to hold in compressed position?
Perhaps with a piece of cardboard over the top bolt.

I had to do that with Eibach shocks that didn’t come compressed and were longer fully extended than the suspension drooped. It was a PITA with the one person, but maybe a helper can ratchet while you compress, or vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread