5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100 in the back or coil spacers?

Jammer 183

Reaction score
Hey guys looking to level out my 2021 ram 1500 crew cab. What’s your guys opinion? I’m going with 5100 bilstein ride adjustable and new UCA’s in the front which were pretty hard to find right now, but I found a set.
Would like to max them out at 2 3/4” so I could get 295/60/20 toyo at3 on there. ,but that would bring my front up 3/4” higher then the back. Thinking of putting either a spacer in the coils in the back or going with bilstein 5100 in the back which go from 0-1” the level it back out, which might be hard to find right now. Would the spacers change the ride quality? And
I’ve got a trailer that I pull about 10 to 15 times a year. My travel trailer is about 4000lbs dry 5500 loaded , tongue weight of about 500lbs.

JbVt

Reaction score
The bilstein shock in the rear doesn’t provide any lift. The shock can accommodate a little lift. In order to physically lift the back you’d have to install a coil spring spacer or a new spring coil. There are a ton of people running coil spacers, ie. motofab. There are also a ton of people running new 1.5” icon springs. Naturally I would think a new spring would be better than a spacer but as said there’s a ton of spacers being run without complaint.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
The rears accommodate an extra inch, not lift it. I used a 1" spacer.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys looking to level out my 2021 ram 1500 crew cab. What’s your guys opinion? I’m going with 5100 bilstein ride adjustable and new UCA’s in the front which were pretty hard to find right now, but I found a set.
Would like to max them out at 2 3/4” so I could get 295/60/20 toyo at3 on there. ,but that would bring my front up 3/4” higher then the back. Thinking of putting either a spacer in the coils in the back or going with bilstein 5100 in the back which go from 0-1” the level it back out, which might be hard to find right now. Would the spacers change the ride quality? And
I’ve got a trailer that I pull about 10 to 15 times a year. My travel trailer is about 4000lbs dry 5500 loaded , tongue weight of about 500lbs.

I’m curious as to why you needed UCA’s considering your not going over 3 inches. Am I missing something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jammer 183

Reaction score
I’m curious as to why you needed UCA’s considering your not going over 3 inches. Am I missing something

I’ve been told by a few 4x4 shops that it’s need in the new 2021 rams due to the angle the bilsteins will be at, if I don’t put them in I would be chewing through ball joints.

JbVt

Reaction score
Im also installing the bilsteins on my ORP bighorn and got a pair of Readylift UCAs. Peace of mind for me I guess.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score

Static angle isn't an issue, angle at full droop can be. The Mopar lift uca balljoint provides more angle at droop compared to the stock joint. I purchased them for mine but have not installed them. I used slot #4 which provided right at 2" on an ORP truck and the uca wasn't needed; I checked at full droop. Any taller and they should be installed, IMO. If no ORP, you're probably fine without them.

JbVt

Reaction score
Static angle isn't an issue, angle at full droop can be. The Mopar lift uca balljoint provides more angle at droop compared to the stock joint. I purchased them for mine but have not installed them. I used slot #4 which provided right at 2" on an ORP truck and the uca wasn't needed; I checked at full droop. Any taller and they should be installed, IMO. If no ORP, you're probably fine without them.
It sounds like you did exactly what I want to do. ORP with bilsteins and 1”rear spacer. You used clip 4 on the bilsteins? So did you get 2” of lift from those plus your ORP or do you mean you have 2” of lift total now? I’m ready to install but can’t commit to which clip I want on the front, 4 or 5.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
It sounds like you did exactly what I want to do. ORP with bilsteins and 1”rear spacer. You used clip 4 on the bilsteins? So did you get 2” of lift from those plus your ORP or do you mean you have 2” of lift total now? I’m ready to install but can’t commit to which clip I want on the front, 4 or 5.
Clip #4, 2" over the factory orp height. At clip #5 and the rear spacer it would have been level. But I want some rear rake for when I load the bed with gear.

JbVt

Reaction score
I
Clip #4, 2" over the factory orp height. At clip #5 and the rear spacer it would have been level. But I want some rear rake for when I load the bed with gear.
I thought clip #4 is 1.5”?

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
I

I thought clip #4 is 1.5”?
That is what it is listed at. That is not what I ended up with. Before it settled, it was 2.5" at clip #4. It settled right at 2" with the rear 1" spacer in place. I would guess that if you were to speak to an engineer at Bils, they would say the lift numbers are approximates.

JbVt

Reaction score
Thanks 5thgenloco, that is good info to know. I don’t want to end up front high or even level. I also want to keep some rake. I may end up doing #4 then to be safe.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
No problem. It was really just a guess and dumb luck lol. When compressing the spring to get the clip to the #5 slot, my original intent, the spring just seemed to have a ton of preload so I stopped at #4, which ended up where I wanted the front to sit.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
Any other thoughts on the rear spacer? And any specific one you guys recommend? I need another inch in the rear on mine.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Any other thoughts on the rear spacer? And any specific one you guys recommend? I need another inch in the rear on mine.
It's pretty basic. What else would you like to know? I used the Motofab 1" on mine.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
I just haven't thought much about the rears. I have airbags on mine, any thoughts on how that would impact things with a rear spacer?

What's the install look like?

JbVt

Reaction score
I got a motofab 1" rear coil spacer, I'm going to install 5100 bilsteins at clip 5 in the front and 5100 in the rear with the motofab spacer. Should all be in this weekend. Will update after that. Install is straight forward, raise truck up and remove rear tires, unbolt lower bolt on shocks, sway bay and slowly, carefully lower axle enough for coils to pull out. Insert spacer and reattach everything.

Doc33

Reaction score
Question? Can one install the 1" motofab rear coil spacer and keep the stock shocks or is the bilstein necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread