5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bike mount recommendations

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Thinking of picking up a diamondback SE for my truck and was looking to see if anyone has any experience with bike mounts on top of them. Thanks in advance for your input.

WilburNJ

Reaction score
Thinking of picking up a diamondback SE for my truck and was looking to see if anyone has any experience with bike mounts on top of them. Thanks in advance for your input.
Hi, I’m debating this issue too. I’m likely to go with latchit rack (https://latchitrack.com/)

My reasons:
- I’m reluctant to add a rack on top of the DB for now — just got it a few weeks ago, so maybe I’ll relax about this in a few months :)
- I have ramboxes so reaching on top of the DB to mount mikes on a rack could be a pain (and I’m 6’4”!)
- I worried about doing something stupid like driving under a low overpass or hitting some low-hanging trees when driving to a biking trail
- this latchit rack is each to mount and use, and then I can just throw it into the bed and lock it up with the DB cover when I’m actually riding. Then it looks like it take only a few minutes to setup and mount my bikes when ready to drive again
- also, when using it, you can either leave the back part of the cover up or just take it off and store it in the bed. It looks like there would be able room to leave the cover on and open with the bikes handing off the back
- one negative is that it would make it impossible to use the backup camera for backing up into a parking spot, etc., and the bikes are susceptible to damage in the event of a real end collision. But, these issues don’t worry me too much.

Anyway, you can checkout some YouTube videos on this. I haven’t pulled the trigger on this, but I’m leaning towards this solution at the moment.

Good luck on your search for a good solution.

WilburNJ

Reaction score
Why not get a hitch mounted bike rack? That is what I did. Easy to load and offload and secure.
Thanks, and yes looking at those as well. With winter setting in (I’m in NJ), I have plenty of time to figure this out before the spring. :)

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'll add another option, how about a bed mount system? I have a Yakima Bedrider, which mounts to the bed sides. Takes about 5 minutes to take off should you need the top space, otherwise I just leave mine there, allows easy access to bikes or whatever, not too tall while allowing the use of your hitch or tailgate when a bike is mounted.

I also have an aversion to roof mounted racks since the truck is so tall, imagine adding a bike on top of that. Then there is the fear of forgetting your bike is on the roof, you risk damaging the roof (of whatever building you hit), the bike, rack and truck all at the same time.

Bed Rack.jpg

Bed Rack 2.jpg

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
I gotta check these out thanks for the recommendations!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
My hitch-mount Küat Transfer 2 is a wonderful carrier for both my truck and my wife’s Murano. Both our mountain bikes stayed locked-down tight on a 35 hour round trip to South Dakota with incredibly strong headwinds. For $300 I personally don’t feel like you can do better!

tom318

Reaction score
If you can deal with the extra length with a hitch rack then do that. I've used a Kuat NV for years and it was great. Super quick, easy and secure. I have a solid 100-130k miles on one of mine if I had to guess between my 2 previous cars and the same rack. I had 2 ratchet arms fail but one call to Kuat and they not only sent me new ratchet arms for free but guided me on how to temporarily fix them for the time being. Id love to keep using it but with the added length my truck wont fit in my garage. I've had roof racks and they weren't bad but obviously a little more pain to lift the bike up and then your always have that friend that doesn't really care as much as you do about your car and you get an occasional pedal or handle bar hit on the car. Also, if the handle bars are above your roof line get ready for lots of bugs all over the bike. I'm struggling to find a great solution myself.

ShadowHawk

Reaction score
I built an in bed one out of a couple fork mounts on amazon and a pressure treated 4x4 cut to fit the width between the two front tie downs. It's temporary until I figure out what other rack i want. Ties down with ratchets and works great. No movement at all. Drove to the in-laws about 100 miles away with the two road bikes with no issues.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
I use a Kuat Hi-Lo, which drops the receiver 2", and an allen 4 bike rack. Let's me tip the rack down and open the tailgate. Did get a little bouncy on the highway a couple times though. Not sure if it was due to the extra weight cantilevered out like that coupled with a rougher road surface. Haven't felt it again.

20201218_203325.jpg

Baileycom

Reaction score
I use a Kuat Hi-Lo, which drops the receiver 2", and an allen 4 bike rack. Let's me tip the rack down and open the tailgate. Did get a little bouncy on the highway a couple times though. Not sure if it was due to the extra weight cantilevered out like that coupled with a rougher road surface. Haven't felt it again.

View attachment 78118
I've been in that shopping center many times. Summer can't get here soon enough.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
I use a tailgate pad. Not the best thing out there, but I can get 4 fat bikes across it, held down firmly. The benefit is that it then takes 5 seconds to remove it, toss it in the bed and unroll the tonneau. I don’t have this Thule, but they more or less all work the same, this is just an example. This has lived in my bed under my tonneau every summer that wasn’t the Summer of Covid. https://www.backcountry.com/thule-g...CZWQgTW91bnRzOjE6MjpiYy10cnVjay1iZWQtbW91bnRz

RamLink83

Reaction score
I have a 1upUSA hitch rack that I use on my truck and wife's Crosstrek. Little pricey but works great on both vehicles.

Attachments

• IMG_20200605_173735.jpg
    IMG_20200605_173735.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 39

Ram92131

Reaction score
I'll add another option, how about a bed mount system? I have a Yakima Bedrider, which mounts to the bed sides. Takes about 5 minutes to take off should you need the top space, otherwise I just leave mine there, allows easy access to bikes or whatever, not too tall while allowing the use of your hitch or tailgate when a bike is mounted.

I also have an aversion to roof mounted racks since the truck is so tall, imagine adding a bike on top of that. Then there is the fear of forgetting your bike is on the roof, you risk damaging the roof (of whatever building you hit), the bike, rack and truck all at the same time.

View attachment 76921

View attachment 76922
Do you know if this will work with RamBoxes? I have a tailgate pad and it works, but I don't love it. A bit of a hassle lifting bikes over the side of the ramboxes and over the closed tailgate. Climbing into the bed would be better since I have the Mopar bed step (which is worth its weight in gold, BTW).

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you know if this will work with RamBoxes? I have a tailgate pad and it works, but I don't love it. A bit of a hassle lifting bikes over the side of the ramboxes and over the closed tailgate. Climbing into the bed would be better since I have the Mopar bed step (which is worth its weight in gold, BTW).

I don't think it will, it needs to clamp to a traditional bed underside for it to work. If I did have RAM Boxes, I would use a tow hitch rack.

WilburNJ

Reaction score
I ended up “installing” one bike rack (Swagman Upright Roof Mount Bike Rack from Amazon) to the underside of the rear Diamondback cover door. This is for when I want to go off on my own so it’s just for a single bike. The nice thing about this is that it stays completely hidden and out of the way when I don’t need it. Also, I ended up using some 80/20 aluminum t-slot bars and two additional Swagman bike racks to sit on top of the DB cover. I haven’t installed/created the rack mount yet, but the photos below provides a sense of how they would work. E75D8F0C-0032-4A30-9FE6-BF6317751235.jpeg 3EA901D1-0E44-4876-9DDC-036CC55D7BE6.jpeg
597CE2A5-E885-456D-A194-A998096E771E.jpeg 23E4A683-2622-4FB6-B8B5-D0B3695C2FF7.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread