5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest Ditch Lights

Gregdad

Reaction score
I’m thinking on putting ditch lights on my 22 Rebel. What’s the biggest I can put on and still ope the hood properly?
I found a nice set of 5” side shooters I’d love to put there.

d15nonvtec

Reaction score
I had 4" ones with no issues, plenty of space yet with hood open.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I go with SDHQ brackets and Baja Design lights.
My ditch light with SDHQ bracket and BD Squadron Sport took a pretty hard tree branch going ~60mph down the trail one time. Not a scratch on either. Not even the BD Rock cover was scratched. If I had a more flimsy bracket or a light from a company that has no racing experience (aka, 100% of the cheap brands you find on Amazon)... I'd be looking to get a new windshield already.

That said, you can mount a pair of BD LP4s on the ditch position. That way, you will get forward lighting AND side lighting. However, LP4s don't shoot far. If you're looking to see far, get a set of XL Racer or XL Pro in spot pattern. Properly designed lights are not "bigger the better" or "brighter the better." Properly designed lights put the output where you want it and not just spread the light around.

Gregdad

Reaction score
I go with SDHQ brackets and Baja Design lights.
My ditch light with SDHQ bracket and BD Squadron Sport took a pretty hard tree branch going ~60mph down the trail one time. Not a scratch on either. Not even the BD Rock cover was scratched. If I had a more flimsy bracket or a light from a company that has no racing experience (aka, 100% of the cheap brands you find on Amazon)... I'd be looking to get a new windshield already.

That said, you can mount a pair of BD LP4s on the ditch position. That way, you will get forward lighting AND side lighting. However, LP4s don't shoot far. If you're looking to see far, get a set of XL Racer or XL Pro in spot pattern. Properly designed lights are not "bigger the better" or "brighter the better." Properly designed lights put the output where you want it and not just spread the light around.
I’m thinking more of a side shooter type light

Gregdad

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread