5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest 20” tire with stock suspension?

TNReb05

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Big Horn crew cab. I haven’t made any changes to it.
It has 20” wheels with 275/60r20 tires.
I am looking at adding new wheels and tires.

I admittedly don’t keep up with this sort of stuff.

What is the largest tire size I can fit with 20x10 wheels without changing suspension/leveling/lift?

For you guys that have leveled your truck, does it sag in the rear when towing something? I tow often and don’t want it to look lower in the rear end.

Last edited:

TNReb05

Reaction score
I think I have a more pointed question- what do I need to do to fit 35’s on the truck, without having it sag in the rear when towing?

Appreciate any input...

Ram Dude

Reaction score
To your last question I'd say minimum 3.5" lift for 35s, but I'm sure you'll get various opinions. This is just my personal experience having 2wd Lone Star. Before going 3.5" lift I had 2" level with 33s which was perfect (wouldn't go any higher than 33s, maybe 34s on 2" level/lift).

Crowe211

Reaction score
To your last question I'd say minimum 3.5" lift for 35s, but I'm sure you'll get various opinions. This is just my personal experience having 2wd Lone Star. Before going 3.5" lift I had 2" level with 33s which was perfect (wouldn't go any higher than 33s, maybe 34s on 2" level/lift).
were you able to fit 33x12.50 on the stock night edition wheel? Any rubbing or trimming? I am looking to either sell my wheels and buy new ones or just slip bigger shoes on them.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem however, I had 305/55/20 NRGs with 2" level/lift, which I believe is just a hair narrower than NRG 33x12.5 (each brand size, width, etc is a little different, so just read their tire specs).

If I recall shop had to trim some plastic from inner well liner so no rubbing there, but then felt rubbing on inner suspension components at near full lock.

Once I got 3.5" lift naturally wanted 35" tires, and because I had read a lot on this forum about staying away from 12.5 and instead go with 11.5" width tires to avoid all rubbing issues, I went with NRG 295/65's which according to Nitto is 11.77" wide (not much less wide but playing the rubbing game every even micro-inch count).

Still was feeling some inner rub, so I installed 1.5" hub-centric wheel adapters this past weekend and not only is there no rub at FULL lock, but the ride is absolutely incredible!

The wider track makes it feel more planted, smooth, and stable (I'm sure the Hellwig sway bar enhances the stability too).

Unfortunately with the added poke of wheel spacers I was back to chasing some minor fender well rubbing again 😂 , but that was easily resolved with just removing the small mudflaps behind each wheel and just so more minor trimming...All good now.

Users who are viewing this thread