5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bigger oil pan for 5.7 hemi ?

fawaz.

Reaction score
I was thinking to upgrade for bigger oil pan generally speaking this will help The engine to be cooler and more efficient

What do you think guys i found this

17385ad7bfb99f4e59839a3b11fcd8ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I was thinking to upgrade for bigger oil pan generally speaking this will help The engine to be cooler and more efficient

What do you think guys i found this
7 quarts is already larger than the oil pans back in the days of 440 big blocks. In RVs, even. And cooler is not always more efficient. If it were, they wouldn't come with a 203F thermostat.

If you want cooler oil, stick an adaptor in between the filter and the block and plumb in an external oil cooler. It would probably be cheaper and easier.

Reaction score
You'd be far better off to use an oil cooler if, for some reason, you have a real concern about oil temps.
Cooler isn't always better with oil.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I watched an episode of Engine Masters on Motor Trend recently called the oil pan shoot out. Talk about eye opening, they increased the horsepower by double digits simply changing to an aftermarket oil pan

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I watched an episode of Engine Masters on Motor Trend recently called the oil pan shoot out. Talk about eye opening, they increased the horsepower by double digits simply changing to an aftermarket oil pan
That had more to do with the addition of the windage tray than the pan itself. Our trucks have a windage tray built into the pan gasket, you are not going to see power gains from simply changing the pan on an otherwise stock 5.7.

Last edited:

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If doing an oil cooler, I'd get one with a thermostat to keep oil out of the cooler until the oil reaches at least 180.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are a couple reasons why the oil temps are what they are: emissions or fuel efficiency. If you mess with temps, there’s a possibility you’re messing with the already abysmal mpgs. Additionally, I don’t trust what the oil temp readout claims when I don’t see a change after watching it during a 4 hour trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online