5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Horn Build vs Laramie

Croat23

Reaction score
I’ve been back and forth several times as to whether I want to build a Big Horn vs a Laramie, so I was hoping I could get some clarification on a few things to help make my decision.

On the ram build configuration, it doesn’t seem possible to equip a big horn with the 33 gallon gas tank. Is that true or am I missing something. Also, anytime I try to equip the sport appearance package with the stereo upgrade, it’s a no-go. Same for the bed utility group. Why in the world would that not be possible on a big horn?

The main things I’m wanting is a big horn with a Hemi, LSD, sport appearance package, equipment package 2, LEDs, and the upgraded stereo. The BUG would be nice just for the spray liner, but I can live without it and have it done aftermarket. If I really can’t get that combination on a big horn, it looks like I’m being forced into a much more expensive Laramie. Am I missing something? Any input would be appreciated.

Mason1217

Reaction score
LSD? and which stereo are you referring to? The HK system is not available in ANY big horn configuration. Is the Alpine system you one you are referring to as "the upgraded stereo system"?
Also, I think in the Big Horn, the bed utility group is only a drop in type bedliner, I dont think spray in from factory is avaliable on big horn.

Mason1217

Reaction score
Ohhh, limited slip diff, my bad. Hmm. Interesting, you cant have 33 gal if you want either level 2 OR LED lights. Also of note, the bed utility group has changed in what it comes with since I got my Big Horn. I dont have the cargo divider, but I was mistaken about the bedliner being drop in vs spray, I confused my truck with my sons 2018 ram. Screenshot_20181028-034636_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20181028-034645_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20181028-034828_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20181028-035606_Gallery.jpg

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The build site is not 100% accurate. It does not allow "Nav" in a Big Horn with the LED package and 8" screen with a V8, however it can be configured that way at the dealership. A dealership visit may be required to get an accurate assessment of your options.

Mason1217

Reaction score
The build site is not 100% accurate. It does not allow "Nav" in a Big Horn with the LED package and 8" screen with a V8, however it can be configured that way at the dealership. A dealership visit may be required to get an accurate assessment of your options.
I just tried also, you are correct, the build site is all jacked up right now. I send an email or visit a dealer, or you could go to the dealers website and search the inventory selecting the filters you are looking for. Maybe you'll get lucky and what you're looking for will be available to go see and drive.

Croat23

Reaction score
LSD? and which stereo are you referring to? The HK system is not available in ANY big horn configuration. Is the Alpine system you one you are referring to as "the upgraded stereo system"?
Also, I think in the Big Horn, the bed utility group is only a drop in type bedliner, I dont think spray in from factory is avaliable on big horn.

The stereo upgrade I was referring to is listed as a 9 speaker and subwoofer upgrade....assume this is the alpine system. I forgot to mention, this is with the 8.4” screen. Also notable....you can’t upgrade to the Nav system either.

I actually did go to a dealer and was told that they can only build it if it’s possible on the online build configurator, which is why I had him price me out a laramie rather than a well equipped big horn. I should have pushed him more on the topic, but I was crunched for time. This was at Tyson Jeep in Joliet where they give you build pricing of 6% under invoice....plus incentives.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The stereo upgrade I was referring to is listed as a 9 speaker and subwoofer upgrade....assume this is the alpine system. I forgot to mention, this is with the 8.4” screen. Also notable....you can’t upgrade to the Nav system either.

I actually did go to a dealer and was told that they can only build it if it’s possible on the online build configurator, which is why I had him price me out a laramie rather than a well equipped big horn. I should have pushed him more on the topic, but I was crunched for time. This was at Tyson Jeep in Joliet where they give you build pricing of 6% under invoice....plus incentives.

I have a Big Horn with the 8.4 Nav and Alpine system so it’s definitely possible. Before I bought my truck, I used the online configurator as well and had the same issues you are having. The online configurator is lousy. I can’t believe your dealer is being stubborn on this. I think you need to go up the chain and get someone with a little more knowledge.

Jako

Reaction score

On Monday, October 15th I ordered V8, LED, 8" and Nav, which is not available on the online build configurator. Nice job on 6% under invoice. What is the "Doc" and other fees if any?

Croat23

Reaction score
On Monday, October 15th I ordered V8, LED, 8" and Nav, which is not available on the online build configurator. Nice job on 6% under invoice. What is the "Doc" and other fees if any?

Can’t take credit for my negotiating skills - it’s just their standard offering if you work your deal through Jason Beltran...sales guy I was referred to on this forum.

He didn’t let me keep the pricing sheet, so I don’t have the exact breakdown of the fees. The only one that sounded suspect to me was a required wheel lock and installation fee for a couple hundred bucks ‘because of theft issues’.

Mason1217

Reaction score
In stock and on the lot to test drive and check build date and check for issues before you commit. There's a delivery checklist on here somewhere you can print and go over it with a fine tooth comb. it's even the sport, and granite looks awesome in person, I was on the fence between that and the black Apperance package. Was a tough decision for me. The only thing that would suck in my opinion is the trailer tow group, you lose the power folding mirrors and I will likely never tow anything in mine so I didn't want it.

Last edited:

Croat23

Reaction score
In stock and on the lot to test drive and check build date and check for issues before you commit. There's a delivery checklist on here somewhere you can print and go over it with a fine tooth comb. it's even the sport, and granite looks awesome in person, I was on the fence between that and the black Apperance package. Was a tough decision for me. The only thing that would suck in my opinion is the trailer tow group, you lose the power folding mirrors and I will likely never tow anything in mine so I didn't want it.

Thanks for the help.

I think I’m leaning towards the bighorn with black appearance package as well. I kind of wanted to factory order in order to get a ‘fresh’ build, considering all the early build issues. I don’t plan on towing anything either. Did you go with the 3.21 or 3.92? Happy with your decision?

Mason1217

Reaction score
I went with the 3.21, didn't really plan on towing so I opted for what I thought would be better gas mileage. I sacrificed the led lights and blind spot for the black apperance. They didn't have the exact truck I wanted, but to order it and wait would have cost me money as I was turning in a lease that was up. I love my truck, the only issue I've ever had is the stupid theme resetting if I remote start the truck. None of the issues that pop up all over this forum. Couldn't be happier.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know you can get the 33 gallon tank on a Big Horn because I drove one. But I think you have to order something else in order to get it.

The Big Horn is nice and my previous 4gen Rams were both Big Horns. But I like the interior and seating better of the Laramie. Noticeably more comfortable and you couldn't get a power adjustable passenger seat in the Big Horn at the time I ordered.

Good luck with your decision.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 005181 miles.

PorBoy

Reaction score
^^^. That’s why I had to get my Laramie as opposed to the BigHorn that I really wanted.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the Laramie is a better value. The price difference is not all that much and you get many more options included the soft touch dash and door panels. The biggest difference is if you lease it. Similarly priced big horn will lease much better than a comparably priced Laramie. If you are purchasing, the Laramie maybe the better deal.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
Based on MSRP, I agree the Laramie is a better value, since a Big Horn can cost more than a Laramie with the same options (Big Horn package 2, LED headlights, Alpine stereo, etc.) that come standard on the Laramie. The main issue is the discount you can get on them. Last I checked, the local dealers had several thousand dollars in extra discounts for a Big Horn compared to a Laramie. Always remember to check the price you will be writing a check for, instead of MSRP.

Mason1217

Reaction score
I think the Laramie is a better value. The price difference is not all that much and you get many more options included the soft touch dash and door panels. The biggest difference is if you lease it. Similarly priced big horn will lease much better than a comparably priced Laramie. If you are purchasing, the Laramie maybe the better deal.
This is the exact reason I got the Big Horn, I always just do leases. I only drive 10 miles each way to work and I get bored with vheicles fast so I always want something new or different lol. The lease savings of big horn vs Laramie was crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread