5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Horn 4x4 1500 vs 2500 in the comfort category?

JimKIII

Reaction score
I'm debating whether to order a 1500 or 2500 (either one with the front bench seat, not buckets), and at this point it all comes down to ride-ability and comfort. I'm leaning toward the 2500 for it's better towing and hauling specs. But, I'm almost 70yrs young and comfort is definitely a factor too.

For those who have owned both both trucks, is the 2500 light years behind the 1500 when it comes to road vibration, noise, and just plain old comfort? Or is the difference between the two negligible?

If the 1500 is so much more comfortable, it will handle my towing needs just fine. However, with the 2500 I'd never have to worry about mountains and other factors when towing.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I test drove 2500's and 1500's a couple years ago, before I bought my first 5th gen 1500. I definitely noticed a difference between them. That's not to say the 2500 is uncomfortable. But the 1500 rides so much better. It's more comfortable to drive long distances than my Audi. My recommendation is to get the 1500 if it's well within your hauling and towing requirements. It's more comfortable for short and long drives and should get better fuel economy. If your requirements are close to the limits of a 1500 then consider the 2500. Just my opinion based solely on test drives.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know there's not much inventory out there, but surely you can find one of each to test drive somewhere locally and see how they ride for yourself. I think my 1500 rides significantly better than my buddy's 2500 (although his is a bit older and I haven't been in his truck a lot). My truck rides like a car, his truck rides like... a truck. As Mike said above, if the 1500 can comfortably handle your towing needs, I'd go with that.

JimKIII

Reaction score
I know there's not much inventory out there, but surely you can find one of each to test drive somewhere locally and see how they ride for yourself. I think my 1500 rides significantly better than my buddy's 2500 (although his is a bit older and I haven't been in his truck a lot). My truck rides like a car, his truck rides like... a truck. As Mike said above, if the 1500 can comfortably handle your towing needs, I'd go with that.
I'll be searching out trucks to test drive for sure. I'll report back.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Went to the local (30 miles away) Dodge dealer to drive a 2500. The young salesman was so full of energy that he hardly stopped long enough to listen to what I was wanting. I said ALL I want to do is drive a Big Horn 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi to see how the ride is. So we went out to the lot and I got the an ear full of the 1500s. I said, "not interested in 1500s, just a 2500 to drive to see about comfort." "Oh, you bet. Didn't understand." So he says he has a 2500 PowerWagon. Let's go check it out. "No, I don't think the PowerWagon will give me a comparable ride as the Big Horn, which is what I want." "Oh, sorry. Didn't understand." So after this back and forth for an hour, I never did see a Big Horn 2500 to drive - they didn't have one on the lot. The guy was so friendly and excited and palsy-walsy, yet failed in the most basic of customer-service edicate - listen to what the customer is saying and don't treat them like buffoons.

Anyway, I talked with a friend who has had a 2008 RAM 2500 and now a 2018 2500 and, other than stating what most said here that it's a bit more bouncy and stiff that the 1500, is super happy with his even on long multi-hundred-mile trips. He's in Idaho and travels over the Rockies quite a bit and the 2500 is perfect for that. Decision has been made.

Thanks for all you advice! It is truly invaluable.

Users who are viewing this thread