5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BiDirectional Scan Tool?

Firemandivi

Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram 1500, along with a few other cars for my wife and oldest son. I'm trying to find a bidirectional scan tool that can diagnose problems and also tell me the transmission fluid temp when I change the fluid. I've look at at Foxwell and Autel and a few others but none seem to have RAM listed as a manufacturer they support, at least on their website. Does anyone have a scanner they use on a 5th gen ram that also works on other cars? Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an Autel and I know it works on the older Rams. I have a 2010 model that I did a lot of work on and it read everything on it. I Haven't tried it on a newer one, but I believe it should still work. I'll try getting it from my brothers house this weekend and give it a try.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have alfa OBD with OBD link MX+ that works on all the italian stuff.
It can also be used for generic OBD.
Autel would be my choice if I had to work on more different brands.

Firemandivi

Reaction score
I've looked at the MX+ link and I'm on the fence about that and the available apps. I have looked into the Autel and the website says it works with Dodge 1500s but Ram isn't on their list. Can anyone confirm that Autel works on newer Ram trucks?
Just for note other cars I have to work on are an Acura and Hyundai.
Thank you for the advice so far.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Welcome to the club and the forum.
There is a wealth to learn from and I have certainly learned/read lots from our fellow owners/users.

I have this OBD scanner and also, I have AlphaOBD software (android only or for Apple - JSCAN). I have another cheap OBD reader I use for my Outback only as a reader.
I have limited experience in "programming" my RAM. I bought the reader during the "Black Friday" sales event. I bought it for the reasons below:
  • It is able to talk to all the desired modules in my truck
  • It is recommended by the AlphaOBD software vendor
    • There is a learning curve, be patient and try very simple tasks
    • Make sure that before you start any "programming" learn how to make a backup and verify you can read back the backup file
  • Many fellow users/owners recommended this combination
    • Very easy to ask questions/get help from fellow users who are smarter than me to get me over new user jitters
    • Users that have, been there and done that solutions
  • I have an Android tablet and an Android phone
  • The reader comes with free device-specific software that works with many cars and can and does update the reader
  • So, reader, bypass cable and software, I spent just about $200.00 or less can't remember, but I consider these to be tools and buy "good stuff," cry once but have years of useful life/service from your tools. My grandfather used to tell me, "Buy the best tools you can afford. If you buy lower grade tools, you will be unhappy and you will replace/repair in the future and spend more in the end." His wisdom has served me well, but there have been times, my wallet has cried, but his words continue to ring true!
I do not have any other knowledge of any other cars with this adapter, but this is my personal story, IMHO, YMV.

BlueHemi1500

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online