5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beware of Infotainment aftermarket "OEM" accessories!

AnthroMoto

Reaction score
I recently ordered the Trailer Brake Kit from Infotainment.com. They advertise "Another 100% factory OEM Mopar plug & play Infotainment.com exclusive upgrade" and show a photo of the kit and parts that come from Mopar. Their price is slightly higher than Mopar, but they include the programmer to flash your computer. In the end, this saves time, hassle, and money as having the dealer do it will cost more in the long run. However...

What had arrived was NOT OEM kit. The OEM brake controller advertised is made in Mexico by Continental. The one they sent was a Chinese knock-off. It was a classic bait-and-switch. The exact one that is advertised on Amazon is the one they sent, and it sells for @$90. The Infotainment package lists for $399. I hardly think their programmer is worth $209! You would be better off buying the OEM Mopar part and paying the dealer to program it.

I did not realize that I was sent a Chinese knockoff until I had it half installed and started having difficulty. After the install was done, I contacted Infotainment and they denied sending a Chinese knockoff, but offered to exchange or refund my money. I then told them I had already installed it and asked if they would still take it back. They never responded. I think it's deplorable that they would advertise "Another 100% factory OEM Mopar" product and then send a cheap Chinese knockoff.

Attachments

• Knockoff Chinese version.jpg
    Knockoff Chinese version.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Infotainment Brake Controller as advertised.png
    Infotainment Brake Controller as advertised.png
    484 KB · Views: 93

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I recently ordered the Trailer Brake Kit from Infotainment.com. They advertise "Another 100% factory OEM Mopar plug & play Infotainment.com exclusive upgrade" and show a photo of the kit and parts that come from Mopar. Their price is slightly higher than Mopar, but they include the programmer to flash your computer. In the end, this saves time, hassle, and money as having the dealer do it will cost more in the long run. However...

What had arrived was NOT OEM kit. The OEM brake controller advertised is made in Mexico by Continental. The one they sent was a Chinese knock-off. It was a classic bait-and-switch. The exact one that is advertised on Amazon is the one they sent, and it sells for @$90. The Infotainment package lists for $399. I hardly think their programmer is worth $209! You would be better off buying the OEM Mopar part and paying the dealer to program it.

I did not realize that I was sent a Chinese knockoff until I had it half installed and started having difficulty. After the install was done, I contacted Infotainment and they denied sending a Chinese knockoff, but offered to exchange or refund my money. I then told them I had already installed it and asked if they would still take it back. They never responded. I think it's deplorable that they would advertise "Another 100% factory OEM Mopar" product and then send a cheap Chinese knockoff.
Does it work? I would definitely ask for at least a partial refund as long as it works. And even if it was OEM, $399 is a rip off as you can buy the real Mopar one on eBay for $170ish. I got mine a year and a half ago for $130.

AnthroMoto

Reaction score
I asked for a partial refund, but an Eric Sanchez sent me an email stating "We had received a package of these knock offs and we thought we had sent them all back to the supplier. It looks like the warehouse had missed one. My apologies for that, sir. We are sending you out another kit." The kit arrived and I recorded unboxing it with my phone. Its the same knockoff they sent me the first time! Definitely NOT OEM. I did a search of eBay this time and saw the exact same kit they sent me for sale for less than $100. The OEM kits on eBay are @$179, and those say "Continental" on them with the silver mounting bracket.

Am I missing the definition of OEM? Does OEM mean it looks and acts just like the original but it is made in China and not Mexico where Chrysler makes their original brake controller? I always thought OEM meant ORIGINAL....EQUIPMENT....MANUFACTURER. Meaning the same manufactuerer that made this part was the same that made the original.

Attachments

• Kncok Off from Infotainment 2nd shipment.jpg
    Kncok Off from Infotainment 2nd shipment.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 29

AnthroMoto

Reaction score
Does it work? I would definitely ask for at least a partial refund as long as it works. And even if it was OEM, $399 is a rip off as you can buy the real Mopar one on eBay for $170ish. I got mine a year and a half ago for $130.
It does work. I could have purchased an OEM one from eBay but I thought it would be worth while to go with Infotainment because they offered a military discount, they included the programmer so I didn't have to pay the dealership the outrageous programming fee, and I didn't have to deal with making an appointment and go through the hassle of dropping the truck off, getting a ride, etc. In order to avoid that hassle, I got Chinese knockoff parts that were not OEM. You just cant trust anyone these days!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It does work. I could have purchased an OEM one from eBay but I thought it would be worth while to go with Infotainment because they offered a military discount, they included the programmer so I didn't have to pay the dealership the outrageous programming fee, and I didn't have to deal with making an appointment and go through the hassle of dropping the truck off, getting a ride, etc. In order to avoid that hassle, I got Chinese knockoff parts that were not OEM. You just cant trust anyone these days!
You can program it yourself for far less than the difference in price buying the infotainment "kit".

Users who are viewing this thread