5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beware - Billstein leveling higher than specified

Hadit55

Reaction score
I had a feeling this would happen based on anecdotal forum posts and it did:

I have a 2020 Big Horn, stock suspension. I was torn between going with a #4 (spec'd at 1.3" of lift) and #5 level (spec'd at 1.7" of lift) on the Billstein 5100's front shocks. I wanted to keep some rake. Pre measurements were 2.75" lower on the fronts than the rear with a little variance between driver and pass sides. Well, I made the judgement call and went with the # 5's. Now I have virtually no rake at all. I'll call the truck perfectly level but im about 2/10" higher on the front than the rear on the pass side. I verified with the installer the clip was placed on the 5th level and even had the guy that did my alignment verified the install was done correctly (to the best of his ability). The installer I went to has done over 40 of these with very good reviews. Very disappointed. Level 5 may equal 2.5" + so be careful when choosing.

Attachments

• RAM.jpg
    RAM.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 30

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put a 1" spacer under the rear spring and call it a day if you want a small rake.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’ll settle down some eventually. To many different variations between different trucks to probably get it spot on 100% of the time. A simple spacer in the rear will get you your rake back. Some rake isn’t bad especially if you have the sport hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Clip #5 with my setup did equal about 1.5-1.7” on my setup but I also did my own install so I can verify what clip I set it at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a feeling this would happen based on anecdotal forum posts and it did:

I have a 2020 Big Horn, stock suspension. I was torn between going with a #4 (spec'd at 1.3" of lift) and #5 level (spec'd at 1.7" of lift) on the Billstein 5100's front shocks. I wanted to keep some rake. Pre measurements were 2.75" lower on the fronts than the rear with a little variance between driver and pass sides. Well, I made the judgement call and went with the # 5's. Now I have virtually no rake at all. I'll call the truck perfectly level but im about 2/10" higher on the front than the rear on the pass side. I verified with the installer the clip was placed on the 5th level and even had the guy that did my alignment verified the install was done correctly (to the best of his ability). The installer I went to has done over 40 of these with very good reviews. Very disappointed. Level 5 may equal 2.5" + so be careful when choosing.
How long have the Bilstiens been on the truck? Did you change your UCAs?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I get it, but my truck keeps getting higher and higher. I can already barely fit it in my garage.
Does your truck have the Off Road Package being a night edition?

Hadit55

Reaction score
How long have the Bilstiens been on the truck? Did you change your UCAs?
No ORP, Billsteins have been on for one day and Truck has been aligned as well. UCA's are stock. Again im on setting 5 and Billstein has confirmed there is no need to go to new UCA's at this level, although its higher than what they specify.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do they make .5" spacers that you know of?
Ther is no big difference in them. I don't think you will notice any difference between 1" and .5", only the tape measure can tell.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No ORP, Billsteins have been on for one day and Truck has been aligned as well. UCA's are stock. Again im on setting 5 and Billstein has confirmed there is no need to go to new UCA's at this level, although its higher than what they specify.
Only reason I asked about UCAs is because when I added my Bilstiens on my ORP truck, I had 1/2" of rake. When I later installed Zone Off-road UCAs, the have me an additional 1/2 lift in front making the truck perfectly level.

I'd say give the suspension some time to settle, as it will. I know you said the shop has done lots of lifts and has a good reputation, but if they torqued the suspension down while the suspension was still extended it will cause it to sit higher and take longer to settle.

Hadit55

Reaction score
Only reason I asked about UCAs is because when I added my Bilstiens on my ORP truck, I had 1/2" of rake. When I later installed Zone Off-road UCAs, the have me an additional 1/2 lift in front making the truck perfectly level.

I'd say give the suspension some time to settle, as it will. I know you said the shop has done lots of lifts and has a good reputation, but if they torqued the suspension down while the suspension was still extended it will cause it to sit higher and take longer to settle.
Is it the springs that would settle? I have around 35k miles on these springs as they are the factory ones. Just curious. Thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is it the springs that would settle? I have around 35k miles on these springs as they are the factory ones. Just curious. Thanks
No, the whole suspension. Since it was taken apart, then put back together.

Users who are viewing this thread