5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better Replacement for Stock Air Filter

rrbhokies

Reaction score
You guys have made me spend too much money already on this truck, so I'm currently short on funds to put in a new CAI at the moment (ok try to sell me on doing it!!!). But let's say for the sake of argument I just want to replace the stock air filter with something better, will I get any improvement/benefit by going with something like a K&N , AEM, or another brand? Which brand would be better? Also, should I remove that netting at the top of the filter box? And finally, if you guys can sell me on a new CAI, what is the cheapest bang for the buck that I could get? I know I'm not about to spend $2k on a Mopar one, even if it does look look like it belongs in NASCAR!! Thanks.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority, but in modern cars I'm not a big fan of installing larger flow air filters because you're trading more debris for minor improvements in air flow. In independent air filter testing, K&N tends to pull in last/near last in filtering & capturing capacity. Otherwise, you might just as well pull the filter out altogether and put in one of those spun web things you put in your house :D . The engineering these days on engines just doesn't lend itself to much improvement without doing a lot of other things because they're already trying to achieve maximum HP with maximum fuel economy to meet federal standards.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tend to agree with @jdmartin , a high quality OEM air filter, changed regularly, is probably the optimal choice if you aren't changing major components.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These guys probably aren't wrong.......BUT I recently put in an AEM filter I got on Amazon for $40 just because. I put it in and removed the carbon filter while I was at it. Since then I have noticed my truck goes into Eco mode a lot more regularly (which I happen to like). My driving is always a random mix of city and highway, never two routes the same because I don't work at an office, so it is too early to tell if I will see any MPG difference. My gut tells me no, but the ECO light being on more should yield better overall MPG even if it is only .5 mpg. Worth the $40 I think.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority, but in modern cars I'm not a big fan of installing larger flow air filters because you're trading more debris for minor improvements in air flow. In independent air filter testing, K&N tends to pull in last/near last in filtering & capturing capacity. Otherwise, you might just as well pull the filter out altogether and put in one of those spun web things you put in your house :D . The engineering these days on engines just doesn't lend itself to much improvement without doing a lot of other things because they're already trying to achieve maximum HP with maximum fuel economy to meet federal standards.
Yep. Agree. If you're doing it for improved engine note, than yeah, it may make sense, but not for performance as far as I know.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
These guys probably aren't wrong.......BUT I recently put in an AEM filter I got on Amazon for $40 just because. I put it in and removed the carbon filter while I was at it. Since then I have noticed my truck goes into Eco mode a lot more regularly (which I happen to like). My driving is always a random mix of city and highway, never two routes the same because I don't work at an office, so it is too early to tell if I will see any MPG difference. My gut tells me no, but the ECO light being on more should yield better overall MPG even if it is only .5 mpg. Worth the $40 I think.
Interesting. Let us know longer term if you are still seeing this. I may go that route.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/