5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best wheels for Minnesota

csederlund

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed. I live in Minnesota and winters can be brutal to vehicles due to all the salt used. I have a 2020 1500 I put XD Boneyard wheels on. They are milled gloss black. I just looked at them and they are pitted and can see the black paint bubble on all four wheels. On my previous Yukon, I had Rockstar 2's. They have never had this issue. Hopefully Discount Tire will take care of me. I contacted them just under the 1 year warranty for finish. Anyone have good luck in states that use salt?

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
I live in Iowa same winter conditions as you... Drove my 4th Gen with a set of satin black and machined Fuel Mavericks for over 6 years (wheels stayed on all year long)... Just traded it in on a new 5th Gen back in September and the wheels still looked brand new, not a single spot of rust or chip/bubble etc.. I detail cars for a living and my trucks usually stay spotless so I'm sure that helped, but I didn't use any ceramic coating or anything on the wheels just a normal weekly wash and occasional cleaning of the wheels but def did not go out of my way to protect the wheels like I could have! I was very happy and suprised how well my fuel wheels held up in these harsh Iowa winters.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Ceramic coat yourself and regularly clean (yourself with a quality soap) and use a quality spray ceramic sealant or the like and they will last forever, doesnt matter where you live.

Chris VB

Reaction score
Ceramic coat yourself and regularly clean (yourself with a quality soap) and use a quality spray ceramic sealant or the like and they will last forever, doesnt matter where you live.

Agreed ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Another one I have heard (which is what custom offsets recommends doing) is coating your wheels in wd40 right before winter... I never tried this myself but the owner of custom offsets has said to do this in multiple videos! Ceramic coating would obviously be the cleaner more "professional" approach but both would probably work wonders if you have a cheaper set of wheels more prone to rusting or being damaged from the winter grime and salt

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DONZILLA

Reaction score
Fluid Film is real good stuff. I use it on every thing else underneath , may be too heavy to go on the wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread