5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best wdh for the average family with a TT

2020ramwv

Reaction score
What’s a good safe wdh with sway control for just occasional camper pulls (5 times a year maybe). There’s so many styles and brands I can’t make up my mind.
(camper will be somewhere between 4-5,000 dry weight and wanting less than 30ft long.

NDanecker

Reaction score
You are going to get 10 responses with 20 different opinions. They all work and have pros and cons. Everyone will mostly say the one they use is best. Most important is to get the one sized for you rig and trailer. I'd talk to a sales rep or go to eTrailer.com and look at some of the reviews. Do your own research. No matter what you buy getting it setup correctly is most important, and for that you need to understand how it works and how to tune/adjust it when weights/trailer loads change, and there are many threads on this to keep you busy reading for hours.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
X2 above. Way too many choices, etrailer or a local hitch retailer will be your best bet. Unless you are towing heavy or getting a fiver, most of the “standard” wdh’s for travel trailers are roughly the same. That’s not saying the fancy multi-thousand dollar anti-sway hitches are the same as a basic wdh but you don’t need those type.

e-trailer has a good article:
1591886593380.jpeg

Boston

Reaction score
You’ve gotten great advice already.

If the RV store you are working with only has one brand then to me that’s not enough.

My bias is the bar type not chain type. I prefer fewer potential weak points. Ultimately I ended up with the Equalizer brand. It’s not the cheapest but it isn’t much more expensive than the cheapest.

Experience has taught me that the cheapest always ends up costing you more money.

raven_DT

Reaction score
The 2pt WDHs hitches are less expensive and offer less sway dampening than the 4pt WDHs. The Hensley and Propride are sway eliminating WDHs that are heavy and expensive...but eliminate sway. Heavy WDHs take a large bite out of your already limited 1/2 payload capability.
My personal experience:
2pt: Eaz Lift 48058, inexpensive, not as effective at sway control as the 4pt (friction plate). also you have to drill holes into your TT A-frame to install sway bracket
4pt: Equilizer 1200#; mid-range price, good sway control, do not have to drill TT frame to mount; can be a little noisy (really like mine, best bang for your buck imo)

Last edited:

Coopers_Dad

Reaction score
Used a Equalizer with my 29' trailer for 5 years. Zero complaints.
Used a Blue Ox with my new trailer for 7 days and hated nearly everything about it after the equalizer.
Purchased a Hensley but due to covid it's still sitting in the boxes and the trailer in the storage yard.

Users who are viewing this thread