5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to achieve 2/3.5 drop

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
So I am looking at piecing a couple kits together to achieve a 2/3.5 drop on my 20 Ram 4x4. I prefer just a touch of rake cause IMO the level look always has the impression of the nose riding high. I did a 2" rear level on my 18 and didn't like the appearance. Also I tow water toys, etc from time to time and hate the squatted rear look.

I am looking at 2 different approaches. The front drop will be achieved by the Maxtrac front lowering struts. The rear is where I am torn. Which do you think would provide a better ride and function.

A) Maxtrac 2" lowering coils cut down to achieve roughly 3.5" drop or the Inez 4" lowering coils with 1/2" spacers? I've heard horror stories about the Maxtrac 4" coils. I'm not sure if it's cheap coils or if it just has to do with the total drop and Inez would have the same issues? I don't want a bouncy crappy ride. I'm willing to do a little less drop (1.5/3) if it means a better ride quality.

chithead

Reaction score
That's what I'd like too, just a 1.5/3.5 - but with better quality components. For my personal interest, it's half about the slightly lowered look, but half for wanting better handling too. I did the Maxtrac 2" drop and can't say I notice any change in ride quality, perhaps a bit stiffer than stock? But not much. With the Maxtrac springs, when towing my son's 125cc ATV in the bed, and my 800 Can-Am on a 5x8 trailer, the Ram sits about perfectly level.

Would like to upgrade springs, shocks, panhard bar, swaybar, and end links.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the Maxtrac 2/4 kit on my truck for almost 5000 miles and the ride was ok on completely smooth surfaces but was harsh as hell going over any sort of bumps or transitions in the front and the rear always bottomed out unless you were literally crawling over so I went back to factory. Not sure if the IHC kit is any better ride wise but I doubt it.

Olive Green 5.7

Reaction score
I had the Maxtrac 2/4 kit on my truck for almost 5000 miles and the ride was ok on completely smooth surfaces but was harsh as hell going over any sort of bumps or transitions in the front and the rear always bottomed out unless you were literally crawling over so I went back to factory. Not sure if the IHC kit is any better ride wise but I doubt it.

That's good to know. I'm really surprised there isn't more options out for our trucks. I would really like a good setup / comfortable 2/4 drop for my truck. Normally you have 2-3 options as soon as the trucks hit the market. Weird.....

gsxrdoug

Reaction score
I have the Maxtrac 2/4 and find it nice and smooth but you will bottom out on speed bumps in the back. I'm planning on seeing if I can cut my bumstops down shorter to help, I also have helper airbags I need to install. Would love some better shocks though, I feel Maxtrac shocks are just cheap.

Olive Green 5.7

Reaction score
I have the Maxtrac 2/4 and find it nice and smooth but you will bottom out on speed bumps in the back. I'm planning on seeing if I can cut my bumstops down shorter to help, I also have helper airbags I need to install. Would love some better shocks though, I feel Maxtrac shocks are just cheap.
Care to post some photos of your truck with the drop?

Wadlum22

Reaction score
Anyone find some better shocks for the rear yet? I feel like the shocks don't match the spring rate.

soSincerious

Reaction score
off road package shocks seem pretty good to me. I have yet to do a speed bump test ... to me thats a really good way to feel the action of the shocks. but for everyday driving, on rough roads, my 2" drop springs (3" total for an off-road package truck) feel good, and no complaints thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread