5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best tri fold soft tonneau

chris288

Reaction score
in everyones opinion which soft tri fold tonneau has the nicest material, nice flat corners and latches ?

looked at all the extang, gator, tonnopro, rough country, lund. I dont like the rear spring latches on the xtang covers, kind of like the adjustable cam kind. i really like the material on the extang alx but not sure about the rear latching ?

Nova90

Reaction score
I have the Extang Signature version which has a convertible top type material vs. a leather/vinyl look. I really like it and it seems to be well made. It has adjustable cam type connections on the 2 front sides plus another tether clamp on both sides. As you mention there is a spring-action lever handle type on the rear. They actually work very well in securing it in place. I have zero water infiltration into the bed. It folds really easy and is easy to remove/install if you want full access to the bed.

IMG_0303.jpg

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tonno Pro hard -fold …. Looks like a soft cover with very nice vinyl, but has light-weight hard panels for security, and a price less than $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris288

Reaction score
Tonno Pro hard -fold …. Looks like a soft cover with very nice vinyl, but has light-weight hard panels for security, and a price less than $500

Thanks for the suggestions,,,, after a ton of research, I was actually leaning toward the hard fold w/ the soft touch, i think its between the tonno pro and the Lund..... tonno pro has composite panels and the Lund has aluminum... I am very picky about the " clean " corners that dont ride up and neat stitching. I like the look of the lund in pictures.

Thanks for the pic. of the canvas type material, how do you like that over the traditional vinyl ?

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions,,,, after a ton of research, I was actually leaning toward the hard fold w/ the soft touch, i think its between the tonno pro and the Lund..... tonno pro has composite panels and the Lund has aluminum... I am very picky about the " clean " corners that dont ride up and neat stitching. I like the look of the lund in pictures.

Thanks for the pic. of the canvas type material, how do you like that over the traditional vinyl ?

My Tonno Pro is traditional vinyl, and the corners have not started to ride up, but it’s only a month old …. Also, I cut the clips off of the front of it …. I hate the way they look, and I hate the way they flop around when driving …. I have 2 bungee cords if I need to secure it while driving

Nova90

Reaction score
The canvas type material on the Extang is really nice quality. Mine is still only a couple of months old. My Dad has the same one on his 2019 Rebel and it looks pretty much the same as my brand new one. Both our trucks are kept outdoors...unfortunately.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As much as i hate rough country. They have one of the most reasonably priced/quality ones you can get.

I just removed the rc logo

NRitland2

Reaction score
I have the Extang Signature version which has a convertible top type material vs. a leather/vinyl look. I really like it and it seems to be well made. It has adjustable cam type connections on the 2 front sides plus another tether clamp on both sides. As you mention there is a spring-action lever handle type on the rear. They actually work very well in securing it in place. I have zero water infiltration into the bed. It folds really easy and is easy to remove/install if you want full access to the bed.

View attachment 116104
I second this. Had an extang for 6+ years on my Tacoma and got another for the Ram. Great affordable cover, easy on off trifold, nice material top.

chris288

Reaction score
As much as i hate rough country. They have one of the most reasonably priced/quality ones you can get.

I just removed the rc logo

what is your opinion on the quality of the vinyl on the RC ??

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Very good. My last one was on my truck for 5 years and still looked new. Only reason I got A new one was because I moved to a shorter bed.

chris288

Reaction score
is there a soft or hard fold tonneau that works w/ the auto tailgate release better or worse than the others ?

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Not really. They all have a seal back there. If I position mine towards the cab more my auto tailgate works most of the time.

Ram76!

Reaction score
I went with the roll up Truxedo... had a tri-fold on my last chevy and fought the thing everytime i had to open it...took 2 people to do it without risking puncturing it with the hardware.... Truxedo $500 lifetime warranty. just saying.

U

User_34235

You also have to decide if you want one that sits on top of the bed or one that sits flush with the bed. Most of the ones that sit on top of the bed do not need rails so if you have the Bed Utility Group (BUG), then you have to compete with that at times to put the new rail in. I have the Gator for about a year now and love it.....no issues so far.

Users who are viewing this thread