5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Tires for: A/T tires, Towing Travel Trailer, smooth city ride

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking for help on the best tires that can cover all 3. I've searched and either found threads on one or the other. I am thinking about having dealer swap out the factory 20" tires for an A/T tire on my Limited. I am keeping the stock 20" rims as I will be airing down and want the thicker sidewall and don't really like the all rim, little rubber of the 22's. Will not be doing any type of lift or fender flares. I do not want super thick tires sticking out either. I'm not much of a tire person, so any advice you all can give would be much appreciated.

I am looking for an A/T tire that
1. is a little more aggressive look (Nitto Grapplers, BFG K02's, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, Firestone ??)
2. Rated to pull a travel trailer (tongue weight approx. 850 lbs.)
3. Rides smooth on the road

Once I get a tire, I will inquire with my dealer about doing a swap and getting some type of credit on the stocks. Advice and pics are much appreciated.

CMENT

Reaction score
I really like my Cooper AT3 LTZ. They meet all your requirements.
f7c87a41d16c107c0aa5868198573634.jpg

da07d6590a89681b3a9fecfabe8cb04e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

djeazie

Reaction score
Put K02's on my truck. LOVE THEM. Every truck I own from this day forward will have K02's on them the minute after I drive them off the lot. Hands down the best tire I've ever owned.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put K02's on my truck. LOVE THEM. Every truck I own from this day forward will have K02's on them the minute after I drive them off the lot. Hands down the best tire I've ever owned.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I was thinking about those. Not sure if they look too off-roading. Would love to see them with your truck if you got any pictures

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking for help on the best tires that can cover all 3. I've searched and either found threads on one or the other. I am thinking about having dealer swap out the factory 20" tires for an A/T tire on my Limited. I am keeping the stock 20" rims as I will be airing down and want the thicker sidewall and don't really like the all rim, little rubber of the 22's. Will not be doing any type of lift or fender flares. I do not want super thick tires sticking out either. I'm not much of a tire person, so any advice you all can give would be much appreciated.

I am looking for an A/T tire that
1. is a little more aggressive look (Nitto Grapplers, BFG K02's, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, Firestone ??)
2. Rated to pull a travel trailer (tongue weight approx. 850 lbs.)
3. Rides smooth on the road

Once I get a tire, I will inquire with my dealer about doing a swap and getting some type of credit on the stocks. Advice and pics are much appreciated.
I went with Continental TerrainContact A/T. Tires are awesome great traction, great ride, zero noise.

Attachments

• 20190227_145706.jpg
    20190227_145706.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 293

Michael_D

Reaction score
I would put the Toyo Open Country AT's on your list. Toyo also has a Highway tire in the Open Country line that are great for highway/city driving, but not too good in the dirt.

Avoid E rated tires. They are more suited for heavy-duty trucks. Great for towing/payload, but not very forgiving on the bumps.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would put the Toyo Open Country AT's on your list. Toyo also has a Highway tire in the Open Country line that are great for highway/city driving, but not too good in the dirt.

Avoid E rated tires. They are more suited for heavy-duty trucks. Great for towing/payload, but not very forgiving on the bumps.
Thanks for the info, but since I'll be pulling a 8,000 trailer in the summers I may need E rated tires.

Anyone know what the stock 20's are rated? I think they are Bridgestone?

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Been using the KO2s on my current truck for the last 10 years. Probably will never buy another type, thats how much I like them.

CallMeChris

Reaction score
I’m in the same search....I’ve gotten it narrowed down to the Nitto Ridge Grapplers or the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. I seriously considered BFG ko2’s because I know they are a great tire for what I want but I just can’t get over the look...I’ve always considered them one of the ugliest tires ever made. Haha

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m in the same search....I’ve gotten it narrowed down to the Nitto Ridge Grapplers or the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. I seriously considered BFG ko2’s because I know they are a great tire for what I want but I just can’t get over the look...I’ve always considered them one of the ugliest tires ever made. Haha

I think we're in exactly the same boat. I want a wider tire for running on the sand and pulling a trailer on it but I still wanted to look like a limited and not a rebel when on the roads. Don't want to have a full time off-road look. I'll have to check those out.

Truckin

Reaction score
My vote would be for the BFG KO2's...I got my truck late Friday evening and already installed a set of 275/65R20's on stock rims with the stock ORG suspension-look great, ride great with zero rubbing-even at full lock. In this size (and a couple others) BFG has TWO KO2's-standard and 'DT'. The DT has a 50,000 mile treadware warranty, uses a slightly different tread compound though the tread pattern is 100% identical. I am extremely familiar with KO2's-have run them on every truck I have owned since the KO2 was introduced-I mention this as I feel the DT, with the different tread compound might be just slightly noisier than the standard KO2's. I say might be as I am not yet that familiar with the 19' Ram 1500...It just seems different than the KO2's (275/60R20) on my 16' Ram 1500, still quiet but different...In any case, you cannot go wrong with the KO2's!

mike12193

Reaction score
My vote would be for the BFG KO2's...I got my truck late Friday evening and already installed a set of 275/65R20's on stock rims with the stock ORG suspension-look great, ride great with zero rubbing-even at full lock. In this size (and a couple others) BFG has TWO KO2's-standard and 'DT'. The DT has a 50,000 mile treadware warranty, uses a slightly different tread compound though the tread pattern is 100% identical. I am extremely familiar with KO2's-have run them on every truck I have owned since the KO2 was introduced-I mention this as I feel the DT, with the different tread compound might be just slightly noisier than the standard KO2's. I say might be as I am not yet that familiar with the 19' Ram 1500...It just seems different than the KO2's (275/60R20) on my 16' Ram 1500, still quiet but different...In any case, you cannot go wrong with the KO2's!

Do you have any pictures of them on the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
@Wakesnowb what size KO2's are you using? Do you have a life or stock set up? and do they rub at all?

Granted I am still awaiting my new RAM order so I am speaking of my current setup that I have on my 2003 F150. I have been running 285/75/16 KO2's for the last couple years. Before that, I was running 285/75/16 KOs (before they replaced the model with the KO2s). I do like the KO2s better than the original KOs but the original were awesome as well and I think I got about 80,000 miles on them before needing to replace them. My truck has no sound dampening and the road noise from these tires are not too bad at all. Both sets of tires have rubbed a little during a maximum steering wheel turn and slight slope in the road. Not enough rub for me to ever care as I just barely let the steering wheel come back a little and rubbing problem gone. Rubbing never effected anything. On the RAM when I get the KO2s I will probably also try and find the biggest tire I can without changing my stock ORG setup. Perhaps the 275/65/18? I like the bigger sidewalls that the 18" rims provide over the 20 and 22" options, just my personal taste. Been running 16" rims on my current truck and they have been great.

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
I had Cooper Discoverer AT3 on my last vehicle, and overall it was a great tire (quiet, good traction, long wear life). It was OK in snow (not severe snow rated, but was MS rated in the size I had). So far the stock Falken AT3WA have been fine, but once I wear them down a bit it needs bigger feet. They really don't fill out the wheel well all that well.

Users who are viewing this thread