5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Tires and Suspension For Travel Trailering

Börsborner

Reaction score
Hi, new to forum....just bought a new 2022 Ram 1500 5.7L HEMI Quad Cab 4x2 (Lone Star) for towing my travel trailer (smallish, 25', 4500lbs dry weight, 495lb tongue weight, weight distribution hitch). The Duelers (tires) ....hmmm....thoughts on better options? Also welcome any thoughts on suspension enhancement recommendations...thx!

MattGalmish

Reaction score
Hi, new to forum....just bought a new 2022 Ram 1500 5.7L HEMI Quad Cab 4x2 (Lone Star) for towing my travel trailer (smallish, 25', 4500lbs dry weight, 495lb tongue weight, weight distribution hitch). The Duelers (tires) ....hmmm....thoughts on better options? Also welcome any thoughts on suspension enhancement recommendations...thx!

General, Cooper, Toyo all make some really good highway mileage tires. I personally had the Toyo Open Country H/T on my 08 used mainly for towing and highway use. Great tire all around with darn good tread life considering the towing.

As far as suspension goes, I’d look into at least some load leveling bags either using it’s own on board air supply or ones you fill yourself. I believe rideright has a system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1. Hellwig rear swaybar. I don't have one but if I was planning on doing any real towing I would defintely get one.

2. Tires with a higher load rating than SL. C, XL, D, or E-rated tires. The stiffer sidewall helps with load control and improves towing experience.

3. A good weight distribution hitch. Depending on how the adjustment turns out (and how much you put in the bed when you tow) possibly leveling bags like MattGalmish mentioned above.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I had 17 inch Goodrich KO2's on my 2015 Outdoorsman. I loved them because they were so stiff and heavy duty and very decent for highway driving even if I only got around 40K out of them. There was no wallow at all so, turning the wheel, it was Wysiwyg.

On the new one, I got the 20 inch Falken wildpeaks manufactured specifically as OEM (slightly different than the after market ones apparently). IF you don't tow and maybe never had KO2's, they are very good tires and some of the best OEM tires I've had...BUT...compared to the KO2's for towing, no comparison. The 20 inch wheels I am not certain what impact that has.

BUT, I pressure them up to like 40 41 lbs pressure and they tend to "wallow" a bit compared to the KO2's. That wallow is acceptable as I'm not going to buy a thousand bucks in new tires until these have some miles on them. I have a 6700 lb 28 foot travel trailer with a 525 dry trailer weight, 725 loaded. That extra part of a second as a tire "wallows" against the weight is disconcerting vs the wysiwyg of the KO2's but not critical and slightly over pressuring the tires does help a bit...

So, I recommend some E rated stiff tires for towing...and off roading...

Redfour5

Reaction score
1. Hellwig rear swaybar. I don't have one but if I was planning on doing any real towing I would defintely get one.

2. Tires with a higher load rating than SL. C, XL, D, or E-rated tires. The stiffer sidewall helps with load control and improves towing experience.

3. A good weight distribution hitch. Depending on how the adjustment turns out (and how much you put in the bed when you tow) possibly leveling bags like MattGalmish mentioned above.
I can't say enough in favor of stiffer sidewalls for towing...

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the new one, I got the 20 inch Falken wildpeaks manufactured specifically as OEM (slightly different than the after market ones apparently).
There are two different models for the Falken Wildpeak: A/T3W (more off-road focused) and A/T3WA (more on-road with an occasional dirt road focus).

The A/T3WA is the one that comes on the truck if you get the ORG (along with a full-sized spare with that tire as well).

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Here’s a recent post I made of my first tow in a 2022 that includes a review at the bottom of the P.1

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/first-tow-with-2022.36416/

Increasing the Dueler tire psi to maximum (44 cold) I believe can make an improvement. Same with the Helwig bar that is an easy install low cost improvement.

I’ve used and like Michelin Defenders in load range E on 17” diameter in my 4th gen, but the new truck has 20”. Load range E for 20” is another size larger and a speedometer recalibration by the dealer would need to be done if choosing those.

When the time comes I’m replacing with Continental Terrain Contact H/T 275 /55 R20 117H XL. These are load range C (XL) 2833# and have a slightly stiffer sidewall with 51 psi max inflation. The Continentals rated #4 in Tire Racks comparison. The Michelin Defenders rated #3 out of 45.

Both would be an excellent choice, but when towing a slight stiffer sidewall could be an improvement. Be aware, that the stiffer sidewall will make the ride rougher.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Increasing the Dueler tire psi to maximum (44 cold) I believe can make an improvement.
I'll slap a U-Haul on the back to haul some stuff to/from storage without any adjustments but I never tow any appreciable weight (especially that needs a WDH) at anything but max cold psi.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Here’s a recent post I made of my first tow in a 2022 that includes a review at the bottom of the P.1

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/first-tow-with-2022.36416/

Increasing the Dueler tire psi to maximum (44 cold) I believe can make an improvement. Same with the Helwig bar that is an easy install low cost improvement.

I’ve used and like Michelin Defenders in load range E on 17” diameter in my 4th gen, but the new truck has 20”. Load range E for 20” is another size larger and a speedometer recalibration by the dealer would need to be done if choosing those.

When the time comes I’m replacing with Continental Terrain Contact H/T 275 /55 R20 117H XL. These are load range C (XL) 2833# and have a slightly stiffer sidewall with 51 psi max inflation. The Continentals rated #4 in Tire Racks comparison. The Michelin Defenders rated #3 out of 45.

Both would be an excellent choice, but when towing a slight stiffer sidewall could be an improvement. Be aware, that the stiffer sidewall will make the ride rougher.
Good information thanks.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yes, what he said. I have the Hellwig, and stiffer sidewall tires, and although I tow a fiver, they make all the difference in the world.

Börsborner

Reaction score
General, Cooper, Toyo all make some really good highway mileage tires. I personally had the Toyo Open Country H/T on my 08 used mainly for towing and highway use. Great tire all around with darn good tread life considering the towing.

As far as suspension goes, I’d look into at least some load leveling bags either using it’s own on board air supply or ones you fill yourself. I believe rideright has a system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks so much! Getting a recommendation from eTrailer.com for the SumoSprings Solo Custom Helper Springs for suspension enhancement; for the tires the Michelin Defender is coming up a lot in discussion...had those tires on a Tundra (my last truck, just traded it in for this new RAM) and they provided a smooth ride and no problems with towing; just wasn't sure if they'd fit on the new truck; someone from Discount Tire confirmed that they would fit well on new RAM...even though they are not rated LT, the rep said they provide an upgraded load limit and increased PSI capacity. Thoughts are welcome and thanks for all the replies....this forum is great!

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Thanks so much! Getting a recommendation from eTrailer.com for the SumoSprings Solo Custom Helper Springs for suspension enhancement; for the tires the Michelin Defender is coming up a lot in discussion...had those tires on a Tundra (my last truck, just traded it in for this new RAM) and they provided a smooth ride and no problems with towing; just wasn't sure if they'd fit on the new truck; someone from Discount Tire confirmed that they would fit well on new RAM...even though they are not rated LT, the rep said they provide an upgraded load limit and increased PSI capacity. Thoughts are welcome and thanks for all the replies....this forum is great!
Not True on tire advice. A 113T load rated tire (Michelin Defender) is an exact same standard replacement no matter what brand tire you are purchasing. Exact same load rating and 44 psi maximum as the 20” Dueler 113T tires that come on the 2022.

If it were me, I’d run the OEM tires on the truck now and see what they do. You might find them perfectly acceptable and save much money.

I don’t understand the need for helper springs on the Ram if using a WDH. Did the Tundra you traded need helper springs to tow???

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can find an SL-rated tire with the proper load ratings. Going up in load rating is not as much for weight capacity as it is for tire construction.

The higher the ply rating the stiffer the sidewall. That extra "beef" in the tire makes for a better towing experience IMO.

Börsborner

Reaction score
Not True on tire advice. A 113T load rated tire (Michelin Defender) is an exact same standard replacement no matter what brand tire you are purchasing. Exact same load rating and 44 psi maximum as the 20” Dueler 113T tires that come on the 2022.

If it were me, I’d run the OEM tires on the truck now and see what they do. You might find them perfectly acceptable and save much money.

I don’t understand the need for helper springs on the Ram if using a WDH. Did the Tundra you traded need helper springs to tow???
Thanks Mr.Grid....no, didn't need helper springs on the Tundra; pulled just fine (level, no squatting) with the Husky WDHitch. Thanks also for the insights on the tires; I'm not a tire guy so didn't understand but you made it pretty clear....just don't want to get out on the road and have a blow-out in places like West Texas, eh?

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
Thanks Mr.Grid....no, didn't need helper springs on the Tundra; pulled just fine (level, no squatting) with the Husky WDHitch. Thanks also for the insights on the tires; I'm not a tire guy so didn't understand but you made it pretty clear....just don't want to get out on the road and have a blow-out in places like West Texas, eh?

A 113T tire has a load capacity of 2535#. This means that each axle will carry up to 5070#. Your truck probably has a GVWR of 7100#. The OEM tires (2535#) on your truck will easily carry the rated load.

I agree with others, higher rated tires (XL -2833#, LT- 3085#) can/ will be an improvement in handling when towing or carrying a load.

The point I was making, is that the Discount Tire advice that 113T Michelin Defender is an increase in load capacity and psi rating when compared to the 113T OEM tires is Not True. Both are exactly the same in load capacity and psi rating.

I’ll give you some better advice on towing your 5k# trailer in West TX during the summer that could save you from a blow out…… and it has nothing to do with the truck tires that are not a problem.

You should take a GOOD look at your trailer tires. If they DO NOT say Goodyear Endurance on the sidewall, they are probably a cheap Chinese made POS trailer tire that many trailers come with. These Ching Ching made tires (all brands) fail often in highway heat (West TX) and are only 65 mph rated. If they are over 5 years old they are shot. Don’t care how much tread is on them to include the never used spare tire.

If you own the above tires on your trailer, replacing with Made in USA Goodyear Endurance tires that are 87 mph tow rated would be much wiser money spent than replacing your brand new OEM truck tires imho.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These Ching Ching made tires (all brands) fail often in highway heat (West TX) and are only 65 mph rated. If they are over 5 years old they are shot. Don’t care how much tread is on them to include the never used spare tire.
There's a reason that they are 'affectionately' referred to as China bombs...

Falken QA

Reaction score
There are two different models for the Falken Wildpeak: A/T3W (more off-road focused) and A/T3WA (more on-road with an occasional dirt road focus).

The A/T3WA is the one that comes on the truck if you get the ORG (along with a full-sized spare with that tire as well).
On point & thank you. The AT3wA is a OE tire on select Ram trims/packages. Aside from the "A" at the end, these tires will also have white lettering. Another fact is the AT3wA has a slightly softer compound. A Wildpeak without the "A" at the end of "AT3w" and is entirely a black sidewall will be your off-the-shelf AT3w with the more aggressive tread design.

Reactions: c3k

Börsborner

Reaction score
A 113T tire has a load capacity of 2535#. This means that each axle will carry up to 5070#. Your truck probably has a GVWR of 7100#. The OEM tires (2535#) on your truck will easily carry the rated load.

I agree with others, higher rated tires (XL -2833#, LT- 3085#) can/ will be an improvement in handling when towing or carrying a load.

The point I was making, is that the Discount Tire advice that 113T Michelin Defender is an increase in load capacity and psi rating when compared to the 113T OEM tires is Not True. Both are exactly the same in load capacity and psi rating.

I’ll give you some better advice on towing your 5k# trailer in West TX during the summer that could save you from a blow out…… and it has nothing to do with the truck tires that are not a problem.

You should take a GOOD look at your trailer tires. If they DO NOT say Goodyear Endurance on the sidewall, they are probably a cheap Chinese made POS trailer tire that many trailers come with. These Ching Ching made tires (all brands) fail often in highway heat (West TX) and are only 65 mph rated. If they are over 5 years old they are shot. Don’t care how much tread is on them to include the never used spare tire.

If you own the above tires on your trailer, replacing with Made in USA Goodyear Endurance tires that are 87 mph tow rated would be much wiser money spent than replacing your brand new OEM truck tires imho.
Thanks again, for your insights and advice Mr.Grid!

NRitland2

Reaction score
Yes, what he said. I have the Hellwig, and stiffer sidewall tires, and although I tow a fiver, they make all the difference in the world.
How’s a 5th wheel in your 1500?

Users who are viewing this thread