5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best tailgate light strip?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those LED strips that go under the tailgate… there are 40 million to choose from. But which ones are the best quality?

MarekRAM

Reaction score
OPT7 mine has been on since new 2019 still works great and nothing burnt out.
New to this forum, my Red Edition ED is only 3 days old 😉
I was just looking at OPT7 seems good quality based on reviews. Did you get 40" or 60". And how did you get around wire that seems to be going to trailer harness connectors. Is there way to have stop and blinkers connected only as I don't want it to be lit nonstop whem lights are on. Thank you.

Marty313

Reaction score
I’ve had several recon light bars and never had an issue, a couple for a few years.

Got a opt7 now and the quality is impressive and I haven’t had an issue in the year it’s been on.

Marty313

Reaction score
I was just looking at OPT7 seems good quality based on reviews. Did you get 40" or 60". And how did you get around wire that seems to be going to trailer harness connectors. Is there way to have stop and blinkers connected only as I don't want it to be lit nonstop whem lights are on. Thank you.
I had to put spacers behind the clips I mounted, just a small, maybe 1/4”, something. I found little pieces laying around my garage to use.

I’m sure you can disconnect the running light portion.

CharlieP

Reaction score
I used some nylon spacers the inner two are 1/2" long and the outer two are 1/4" long, Get ones that have a inside diameter a little larger the your Bolt/Screw used to mount them. I would call OPT7 to get info on the wiring

firemanjay

Reaction score
I have the Putco 60" comes with the spacers built in to the bar clamps, clears all the wiring and bumps just fine, also got their hitch plug harness making it just plug and play, took about 30 minutes to install and am very happy with it.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will be making mine. I already have the LED strip inside a Silicone tube, the Arduino,
and I am tapping into the trailer wiring. Using a Curt adapter to keep from touching
the stock wiring. I am also using the Trailer Brake signal to work the Brake Light portion.

Malodave

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I have a Putco light bar on my truck and have had no problems with it since I've installed it back in 2019. All the lights still work on it. Very nice quality product.

dss90c

Reaction score
I used some nylon spacers the inner two are 1/2" long and the outer two are 1/4" long, Get ones that have a inside diameter a little larger the your Bolt/Screw used to mount them. I would call OPT7 to get info on the wiring
I used the OPT7 and used a very similar method for mounting it. It's been installed for over 6 months with no issues.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

gofishn

Reaction score
had an LEDGLow , really cheap, on my 2014 due to all the its gonna burn out talk. 1 st light bar and didn;t want to risk much.
Light Bar worked for 8 years, flawlessly. I did seal every edge and end with a good silicon type of sealer. marine grade, sa had mentioned by others in my reading up on them.

I just bought a OPT7, on sale, for $96 few days ago. CHecked teh site to see where my light bar is and see they hae them, on sale now, for $80.
SO, my luck aint starting outtoo godd with tem and starting to worry.

not really, Dont care. Wanted one bought it fi it quits working will take it off and toss in teh dump with all teh crap I decided I had to ahve only to get rid of the coruse of my Lfie.

Sorry for typhos
Never learned to type
you can still get teh gist and franlkly too old to ...
yo get teh idea

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an OPT7 RedLine 60 LED bar. Amazon, $68.

Using the supplied clips that came with it, along with some thick rubber weather stripping, I drilled holes through the trim piece under the tailgate, put cut to size weather stripping behind the clips, and riveted them to the trim piece. Popped the light bar in, wired to trailer hitch with a Curt adapter, done. I did have to remove the tailgate to finish it, but that wasn’t that hard.

I mainly wanted it for the reverse lights, as the OEM lights are less than effective. All other features was a bonus. And, it’s a single bar, so it isn’t overly obnoxious, lol…😝
Below is a video of how bright the reverse lights are. Have had it for over 6 months with no issues. My blind *** loves the light bar when backing up.
If it fails, I know it is easily removable. Just another option to consider. Good luck👍

Users who are viewing this thread