5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best sounding catback exhaust

raj

Reaction score
I know this is subjective. My son lives in Idaho. He has a 2021 Rebel 5.7 and he wants to put an exhaust on it. I lean towards Flowmaster sound but I dont think the make a catback kit. Something nice and deep but not obnoxious. I hear a lot of trucks that sound terrible. Suggestions please!

WitsRebel

Reaction score
My vote is AWE Tuning. I honestly haven't heard any of the other offerings in person, and don't know that online sound clips do any of them justice; however, I had an AWE tuning on a prior vehicle, and just installed the cat back on my 2019 Rebel, and it really sounds fantastic. Definitely not quiet, but is deep and lumpy sound - in my opinion just how I wanted a hemi v8 to sound.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Borla S-Type. Sounds great when gassing, but silent when cruising. Absolutely no drone.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Borla ATAK IMO. Loud when you want it to be. Calm when cruising. Zero drone, you have to really be listening to even tell when MDS kicks in.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I know this is subjective. My son lives in Idaho. He has a 2021 Rebel 5.7 and he wants to put an exhaust on it. I lean towards Flowmaster sound but I dont think the make a catback kit. Something nice and deep but not obnoxious. I hear a lot of trucks that sound terrible. Suggestions please!
my vote is save the money and do muffler delete. If not loud enough delete the resonators.

Ready Go

Reaction score
As a G/T owner, I really like the OEM G/T exhaust!
If I were to change, I'd go to the Mopar (Borla) catback for more of an "always on it" sounds..but the G/T does that in Tow/Haul mode just fine too!

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my vote is save the money and do muffler delete. If not loud enough delete the resonators.
X2 on the muffler delete. I almost went with Magnaflow but was suggestion to do the muffler delete. I was not disappointed as all. No drone, sounds bad@$$ when on the skinny pedal. Numerous compliments on the sound and most people are surprised when I tell them it’s just the muffler delete with the stock resonators intact. $120 out the door from a reputable exhaust shop, with quality pipe.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Where the hell does everyone live where you can just delete mufflers and not get pulled over, fined, and fail state inspections and lose your license plates due to failure of registration of plates onto a vehicle with a valid inspection sticker.
Does every other state really not require these?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where the hell does everyone live where you can just delete mufflers and not get pulled over, fined, and fail state inspections and lose your license plates due to failure of registration of plates onto a vehicle with a valid inspection sticker.
Not sure how s muffler is mandatory as long as the db levels are within limits. But most states don't have any mandatory fleecing, I mean inspections. This is how guys from street outlaws get away with having pro-mod cars be "street legal" because they can get them registered and have license plates. All you need is a valid vin number.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure how s muffler is mandatory as long as the db levels are within limits. But most states don't have any mandatory fleecing, I mean inspections. This is how guys from street outlaws get away with having pro-mod cars be "street legal" because they can get them registered and have license plates. All you need is a valid vin number.
Not having a muffler fails emissions testing at least in my state.

General Law - Part I, Title XIV, Chapter 90, Section 16

No person shall operate a motor vehicle, nor shall any owner of such vehicle permit it to be operated upon any way, except fire department and fire patrol apparatus, unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler to prevent excessive or unnecessary noise, which muffler is in good working order and in constant operation, and complies with such minimum standards for construction and performance as the registrar may prescribe. No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the stock resonators intact, but muffler deleted, it’s not overly loud or annoying or a nuisance by any stretch. It’s nothing like the straight pipes of the old days. But it does sound deeper, throatier and meaner. In NJ, as long as your vehicle passes emissions, it’s good to go as far as muffler is concerned. And I don’t believe a muffler has much, if any at all, to do with emissions. It’s just to muffle the sound.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not having a muffler fails emissions testing at least in my state.

General Law - Part I, Title XIV, Chapter 90, Section 16

No person shall operate a motor vehicle, nor shall any owner of such vehicle permit it to be operated upon any way, except fire department and fire patrol apparatus, unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler to prevent excessive or unnecessary noise, which muffler is in good working order and in constant operation, and complies with such minimum standards for construction and performance as the registrar may prescribe. No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass.
Damn, that's stupid. And by emissions, I'm guessing you mean noise emissions.

You could always argue that the resonators are "mufflers"

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Damn, that's stupid. And by emissions, I'm guessing you mean noise emissions.

You could always argue that the resonators are "mufflers"
It's just call emissions, I assume it has to do with the fumes from your vehicle, I guess that could include noise from the muffler?

This is my inspection report from my Silverado.
On my new Ram they don't do emissions first the first sticker on a new car\truck, just a visual inspection.

1701313004971.png

The ones I marked off are considered emissions.
If you fail emissions you have 30 days to fix and re-test (from the expiration of your sticker or test)
If you fail safety you have 7 days to fix, and sometimes are not allowed to legally have it on the road.
They both get an R (rejected) sticker but a safety is R so cops can see it and know why it failed without asking. They ticket people with an red R.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Most states don't. Michigan used to have emission tests, but dropped them. Even when they did test, they just checked the tailpipe emissions. I hear some pretty loud exhausts here. Watching shows like "Roadkill", in California, they run open exhaust all the time.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They don't even do anything with exhaust in IL. They just hook into the OBD port and check everything.

Green Streak

Reaction score
I live in Kentucky. No inspections. I’m fairly sure Mustang owners can get pulled over here if they don’t have the converters cut off with straight pipes and 40 series flowmasters. Cigarettes and 3 car seats in the back are optional.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
X2 on the muffler delete. I almost went with Magnaflow but was suggestion to do the muffler delete. I was not disappointed as all. No drone, sounds bad@$$ when on the skinny pedal. Numerous compliments on the sound and most people are surprised when I tell them it’s just the muffler delete with the stock resonators intact. $120 out the door from a reputable exhaust shop, with quality pipe.
bingo!

Users who are viewing this thread