5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best rubber mat for slip in liner

XKillerEliteX

Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post . My question I have is , what’s a good brand rubber mat to use for the slip in Rugged Liner 5.7 bed that will have the best fit without cutting it ? I need a mat to prevent things from sliding all over the place. I also had a BakFilp MX4 installed along with my Rugged Liner slip in .

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post . My question I have is , what’s a good brand rubber mat to use for the slip in Rugged Liner 5.7 bed that will have the best fit without cutting it ? I need a mat to prevent things from sliding all over the place. I also had a BakFilp MX4 installed along with my Rugged Liner slip in .
Ditch the hard plastic slip in liner. Then get a Bedrug mat.

Reactions: DEG

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the OEM bed mat and it is a solid mat that is cut to fit and will meet your needs. I also have it sitting on a bed rug😁

82215784AB

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't believe you will find a bed mat to fit your rugged bed liner that won't need cutting , at least I couldn't for my 6'4" rugged liner. I used my old mat out of my old f250 8-foot bed and cut it down. Closest thing I found was the 4x6 barn mats at Tractor Supply decided to use what I had.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sell the plastic liner and get a either a full BedRug or a BedRug mat. I've had one or the other in my last 5 trucks and will not be without one. I've used the BedRug mat on top of factory spray in liner in my last 2 trucks.

You can use them even without a cover as they are made from high-density polyethylene and impervious to weather. You can even blast them clean at the carwash. If you need to haul something you don't want riding on the BedRug they are easily removed as they are held in using heavy duty Velcro.

Leer2.jpg

n7qpp

Reaction score
As suggested in a post on the forum I used the Tractor Supply horse stall mat. Had to cut about 6" off but was very easy to cut. I believe the price was ~$50.00

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I agree with HSKR R/T, ditch the liner, they don't protect your bed, they actually harm it. A spray in liner will not only protect the bed but will also prevent items from slipping around the bed. I just purchased my 2020 Ram 1500, and it had a slip in liner in it, before I bought it I made them take it out so I could check for possible rust where liners can get grit in between the liner and bed sanding down and exposing bare metal to moisture. The bed did have scuffed areas, but no rust. My opinion, and it is an opinion, not to spend any money on bed protection, spray in a liner after you used the bed enough to scratch it up enough to warrant the cost.
Back to a custom fit mat, I made one for my wife's 2001 Tacoma because I couldn't find a nice enough fit and quality mat. I used to work with fabricating and vulcanizing conveyor belts. I custom fit it by making templets out of cereal boxes and sheet metal then cut it to fit. I realize most owners don't have that ability, so the easiest is to have a spray in liner done, it'll look better and do what you need.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with HSKR R/T, ditch the liner, they don't protect your bed, they actually harm it. A spray in liner will not only protect the bed but will also prevent items from slipping around the bed. I just purchased my 2020 Ram 1500, and it had a slip in liner in it, before I bought it I made them take it out so I could check for possible rust where liners can get grit in between the liner and bed sanding down and exposing bare metal to moisture. The bed did have scuffed areas, but no rust. My opinion, and it is an opinion, not to spend any money on bed protection, spray in a liner after you used the bed enough to scratch it up enough to warrant the cost.
Back to a custom fit mat, I made one for my wife's 2001 Tacoma because I couldn't find a nice enough fit and quality mat. I used to work with fabricating and vulcanizing conveyor belts. I custom fit it by making templets out of cereal boxes and sheet metal then cut it to fit. I realize most owners don't have that ability, so the easiest is to have a spray in liner done, it'll look better and do what you need.
The problem with waiting to do a spray in liner is higher cost due to more prep needed before it's sprayed in. Get one done when brand new. It will adhere better with less chance of peeling later on

RVTRKN

Reaction score
OK, ya it costs more after its used, and I agree do it when new, if you want a spray in liner, as in my case the truck was used with a plastic insert liner ,and the bed scoffed up already. If you don't spray in a liner when new its no big deal as long as you keep the bed clean and the drains clear. All of my trucks (7 total) have never had a plastic insert liner, not even sprayed in. I've never had rot or rust I'm my beds, when it gets scratches. If you gouge the spray in liner, which can easily be done, it'll look worse than a painted bed with a scratch.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I like those mats, there cheaper and easier than if I were to make my own, however I would cut out small sections were the bed drains are located.

23RAM

Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post . My question I have is , what’s a good brand rubber mat to use for the slip in Rugged Liner 5.7 bed that will have the best fit without cutting it ? I need a mat to prevent things from sliding all over the place.
I don't like drop-in liners as they damage the bed over time. I've also heard water can can trapped under mats and cause rust. I recommend a spray-in liner. It protects the bed and makes it slip resistant. I keep an aluminum 2-step ladder in the bed for easier access to my boat and the truck bed, and it doesn't slide around at all.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I don't like drop-in liners as they damage the bed over time. I've also heard water can can trapped under mats and cause rust. I recommend a spray-in liner. It protects the bed and makes it slip resistant. I keep an aluminum 2-step ladder in the bed for easier access to my boat and the truck bed, and it doesn't slide around at all.
Thats part of truck maintenance, is to remove and clean the mat and bed, just like when you remove floor mats while vacuuming your floor. As I posted while you where typing your post, I'd cut small sections for proper drainage.

CatDaddy66

Reaction score
I bought one from Black Armour, it's 1/2 inch thick, vulcanized rubber and fit my truck perfectly. I put it over the factory spray in liner for extra floor protection

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats part of truck maintenance, is to remove and clean the mat and bed, just like when you remove floor mats while vacuuming your floor. As I posted while you where typing your post, I'd cut small sections for proper drainage.

The OP said he has a BakFilp MX4 bed cover so it's unlikely drainage or corrosion will be an issue regardless of the path he takes.

trainman

Reaction score
I use the Tractor Supply Stall Mat and I have used it over 20 years and never wore one out yet. Cost is around $40.00, I think it is almost 3/4" thick, yes it will need to be cut, I use a box knife. It is very heavy and will not blowout, or move around in the bed. It has a texture that will not let things slide around in the bed. Stop by a TS and check it out.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
The OP said he has a BakFilp MX4 bed cover so it's unlikely drainage or corrosion will be an issue regardless of the path he takes.
Thanks, I didn't catch that, I wonder why the liner then?

Users who are viewing this thread