5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Riding, Quietest All Terrain Tire?

Savagescott

Reaction score
Picked up my Limited last week and shopping for tires and wheels. I'll replace the 22s with 20" wheels and need your thoughts on the best riding all terrain tires. Off-road traction is not a concern as this truck will never be on anything other than pavement (ok, maybe an occasional gravel road). While I like the idea of a more aggressive looking tire, I'd give that up for comfort. I'll be looking at 295/60s or 35/12.5.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m on Toyo Open Country AT/II and for what they are they are quiet. Plus they come with a 30 day 500 mile no questions asked return policy.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picked up my Limited last week and shopping for tires and wheels. I'll replace the 22s with 20" wheels and need your thoughts on the best riding all terrain tires. Off-road traction is not a concern as this truck will never be on anything other than pavement (ok, maybe an occasional gravel road). While I like the idea of a more aggressive looking tire, I'd give that up for comfort. I'll be looking at 295/60s or 35/12.5.
If you want quiet stay away from the Hybrids. They advertis them as AT's but they are a hybrid AT/MT and while quieter than a Mud Terrain they are going to have an audible hum. These would be Goodyear Dura tracs, Nitto Ridge Grapplers. BFG TA KO2, Falken wildpeak AT3W, Toyo RT, General Grabber ATX, Cooper ST Maxx. Probably a few others I missed. LT tires are typically going to be louder than P rated version of the same tire because the side walls get more agressive below is an example from Toyos website for the AT 2. In the sizes your looking at you don't have many options for a quiet tire. Probably a Defender LTX M + S, Yokohama geolander G015, Mickey Thompson Deegan 38, Toyo AT 2 or Nitto Terra Grappler G2 would be the quietest in a 295/60 or 35x12.50.

1549324925748.png

Savagescott

Reaction score
If you want quiet stay away from the Hybrids. They advertis them as AT's but they are a hybrid AT/MT and while quieter than a Mud Terrain they are going to have an audible hum. These would be Goodyear Dura tracs, Nitto Ridge Grapplers. BFG TA KO2, Falken wildpeak AT3W, Toyo RT, General Grabber ATX, Cooper ST Maxx. Probably a few others I missed. LT tires are typically going to be louder than P rated version of the same tire because the side walls get more agressive below is an example from Toyos website for the AT 2. In the sizes your looking at you don't have many options for a quiet tire. Probably a Defender LTX M + S, Yokohama geolander G015, Mickey Thompson Deegan 38, Toyo AT 2 or Nitto Terra Grappler G2 would be the quietest in a 295/60 or 35x12.50.

View attachment 15351

Thank you - great info. Just spent an hour at Discount Tire and the Goodyear Ultra Terrain looks like it might be a good choice. The rep said he believes it's a more comfortable tire than the Terra Grapp G2. I've never been a big Goodyear fan but it's in the running.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 15351
Also the AMP Terrain Pro A/T’s. They have a similar tread pattern to the BFG AT’s but are much more noisy. I have them on my stock 20’s for the winter and love the traction but they are looooooud!

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would imagine Michelin would be the quietest of the group there, but also the least aggressive by a landslide. I guess it kind of depends on how sensitive you are too it. Have you owned anything like this before?

The Toyo for example is not a loud tire, but if you’ve never run an all terrain before you will likely notice it especially with how quiet this newer vehicles are. I can’t imagine you would be unhappy with it (or any of those tires suggested) as they do NOT howl or anything. Just more a light hum.

And none of them will have any of the lug slapping feeling at low speed you would get from a hybrid or m/t so that’s a plus.

I would vote Toyo at2 or nitto terra grappler, as I feel they are the best tires in that listing and the most aggressive.

Also cooper is a decent company and makes about 4 all terrain tires that kind of go up in aggressiveness if you want to check them out.

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/view-tires.aspx#

Last edited:

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you - great info. Just spent an hour at Discount Tire and the Goodyear Ultra Terrain looks like it might be a good choice. The rep said he believes it's a more comfortable tire than the Terra Grapp G2. I've never been a big Goodyear fan but it's in the running.
It's a good looking tire, I find it hard to believe that tire is more comfortable than g2, but discount tire has that guarantee, love it or throw it through their window. There is one guy on here with them in a 275 60 20 p rated version. He didn't say much about the noise either way. They almost seem like a tire for between a mild at and hybrid. For people that complained about the road noise of the dura tracs. They are heavy compared to most other tires of the same size just like the Falkens are.

SeanGTS

Reaction score
This was my concern as well. Did the same thing and downsized to 20s. Went with the Toyo RTs, extremely happy.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also the hankook dynapro atm or whatever it’s called if you are going that passive on the tread. Ford runs them on their fx4 trucks (I previously had them).

Good tire, my old truck had 30k miles and tires were completely fine and no noticeable road noise.

Bleda2002

Reaction score
I'm going back and forth between the continentals and the Revo 3. Not a lot of reviews for either tire.

There are about 100 reviews for the conti's on tire rack, it's the top rated AT tire on the site actually.

EvoRAM

Reaction score
Another vote for the terraincontact, if you want quiet and do mostly highway. Just that it’s not that aggressive looking if you’re going for looks.

lambone

Reaction score
I’m happy with the P rated Nitto Ridgegrapplers. 116q version.

Not much different from stock but they look great and are really sticky in the snow.

DivrGuy

Reaction score
I know this thread is a few weeks old, so maybe the OP has already made his purchase. But my last truck had two of the tires mentioned above. I had the Hankook Dynapro ATM's first. They were pretty quiet and a comfortable ride, but got louder as they wore down. By the time I had 50k on them, they were still quiet at highway speed, but when riding around at 45 or slowing down for a stop, that AT tire hum had become very noticeable. I swapped them for the Continental Terrain Contacts. Quietest AT tire I've ever driven, but slightly stiffer ride than the Hankooks. Only had about 6k miles on them when I traded in the truck, but they were quieter than the Hankooks from day one. The only off-roading I did with them was getting to my mom's house after Hurricane Michael had covered the roads with trees. I spent the last few miles driving through ditches and pulling small trees out of the way. Took them out on St. Augustine Beach one time. Drove right by two other trucks that had bogged down in the sand. They look a little more aggressive in person than in pics, but the mild tread pattern is probably what makes them more quiet. Both these tires were P rated.

Users who are viewing this thread