5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best retractable tones for 1500 w/Rambox

RealtorRick

Reaction score
I am looking to keep the bed area of my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited dry and secure. I currently have a soft folding cover that leaks a little water at tailgate, which is acceptable. But the lack of security bothers me. A box cutter or pocketknife and everything is gone! I did some preliminary checking with several manufacturers last year and was told I had the wrong “rails” and that I would need to replace those first. Then I read user comments about drain issues and bagged the idea of getting a hard cover. Now I am back in the hunt and need advice.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Retrax mx or pro if you need a bit more protection. No tonneau cover is 100% sealed unless you go fiberglass one piece hardcover. I have slight water intrusion at the tailgate which I’m sure every cover will have but you can also seal the bed a but more yourself with a tailgate seal if you need. Be aware of the space you lose thats taken up by the canister if thats an issue as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RickWaz

Reaction score
I also use the RetraxPRO MX 80244 Tonneau Cover on my 2020 Ram Limited (w/ the silver/gray/aluminum rails) and LOVE it. There's some slight water intrusion, but usually only when there's heavy rain. It's also lockable in an "infinite" # of positions.

20201211_151529.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No matter what you get you need to replace the black rails with the silver ones.
They are $200-400 for the pair.
My Retrax MX leaks all over the place, sometimes even in the dead middle of the bed where the aluminum slats are, it doesn't make sense.

If I could return my expensive retractable I would get another MX4 in a heartbeat.

Make sure you get some foam and 2 sided tape for the corners by the tailgate as move covers don't properly cover that on trucks with Ramboxes.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have RamBoxes and MFT.

Over the years, I have had Retrax, BakFlip and Revolver covers.

When I got my current truck, I got another BAK Revolver X4s. I like it the best of all the covers I've had. Better than the BakFlip and way better than the several Retrax covers I've had.

Also, BAK gives flat-out amazing customer service.

All that said, with RamBoxes and the way the rails for it work, I don't think you're going to find a cover that is really waterproof. I'd call them "water resistant".

I generally just avoid putting anything in that back that will be a problem if it gets wet. But, if I must, then garbage bag it or put it in a bin or something.

Also, most of these covers generally only let water in around the edges/corners. So, if you just have something in the middle that keeps your stuff just a little bit up off the floor, it won't get wet. Water that gets in will run out before it gets deep enough to get to the bottom of your stuff.

Realtruck

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
No matter what you get you need to replace the black rails with the silver ones.
They are $200-400 for the pair.
My Retrax MX leaks all over the place, sometimes even in the dead middle of the bed where the aluminum slats are, it doesn't make sense.

If I could return my expensive retractable I would get another MX4 in a heartbeat.

Make sure you get some foam and 2 sided tape for the corners by the tailgate as move covers don't properly cover that on trucks with Ramboxes.
You're exactly right about those silver rails. The black rails will not do for installing a bed cover, so you would definitely need to look into the silver rails.

Also, it's unfortunate that you're having leaking issues like that with your Retrax. They do include a manufacturer warranty, and excessive leaking would be something to submit a claim for. PM me or email me at [email protected]. I'd be glad to look into that for you.

juicegoose

Reaction score
Do the revolver covers allow for a full opening of the rambox lids?

Oldphart

Reaction score
I've had a Bakflip on my last 2 trucks, a 16 GMC Canyon and now a 21 1500 Longhorn CC/SB. The only time they ever leaked was when I went thru a car wash.

juicegoose

Reaction score
Just ordered my 24 with rambox. Looking at buying the revolver x4s and a bed rug.
Who has the best deals on the x4s? I have a retrax on my current truck and love it but less cost is less cost.

Realtruck

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Just ordered my 24 with rambox. Looking at buying the revolver x4s and a bed rug.
Who has the best deals on the x4s? I have a retrax on my current truck and love it but less cost is less cost.
BAK is a brand of the RealTruck family! If you have any questions on fitment, availability, shipping times, or would like a pricing quote, please PM me or email me at [email protected].

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've had Retrax on a couple of past trucks. I like the Revolver way better. And the RealTruck/Bak customer service is simply unbeatable!

juicegoose

Reaction score
does the revolver allow you to stop the rollup say halfway or is it an all open all closed kinda thing?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
does the revolver allow you to stop the rollup say halfway or is it an all open all closed kinda thing?

You can stop anywhere. But, there is nothing to secure it in a halfway position. If you roll it all the way up, there are straps with QR buckles to secure it fully rolled up.

And, once it's open at all, the flanges that grab the side rails to hold the cover down are all released. So, the whole cover COULD lift up, with it just being hold onto the truck by the 4 wing nuts/bolts at the front corners.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But, having had multiple Retrax covers and a BakFlip in the past, which could be used in a part-open position, I have not missed that at all in my 4 years now with Revolver covers.

A-A-RonMD

Reaction score
Hey all. I've been running the retrax pro on my truck for about 2 years now. Over the weekend I learned something new. Never had any leakage problems at all but at some point over the winter the bed drain hole became clogged with some acorns (no idea how they got in through the cover though). Anyways we had a ton of rain over the last couple of weeks so I never opened the tailgate. I went to get everything ready for the summer and the bed of my truck was suddenly a pool of algae. The container that the cover rolls into also seems to be retaining water. Any idea on how to clean out the actual container?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey all. I've been running the retrax pro on my truck for about 2 years now. Over the weekend I learned something new. Never had any leakage problems at all but at some point over the winter the bed drain hole became clogged with some acorns (no idea how they got in through the cover though). Anyways we had a ton of rain over the last couple of weeks so I never opened the tailgate. I went to get everything ready for the summer and the bed of my truck was suddenly a pool of algae. The container that the cover rolls into also seems to be retaining water. Any idea on how to clean out the actual container?
There are 2 holes at the bottom of the container. When the container fully expanded just retract it a few inches and you should be able to spray inside and the water should come out the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread